View Poll Results: Was the Thomas deal a good thing??

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes-The Rams came out winners

9 20.93%
  • no-The Packers got a steal

15 34.88%
  • It does not make a difference for this team

19 44.19%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Was Thomas deal a good one?

I'll admit my knee jerk reaction to the trade was: "What? a 1st round pick for a seventh rounder? We got screwed". Upon further reflection however, I began to realize that the Rams probably feel Chillar and T. Faulk have alot more upside as well as durability than Thomas.
    Nick makes a valid point about Thomas having starting experience as opposed to Johnson's lack of it, but if the Rams felt Thomas did not fit into their plans anymore, why not get somthing instead of nothing. On paper it would appear that Green Bay got the better deal based on Thomas's game experience, however Chris Johnson is really a wild card at this point, so until he is healthy and the Rams can play him, we won't know the answer to the question: Was the Thomas deal a good one?..

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Let's put the "Thomas was crap" mentality in perspective. Last year, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree Pisa had a great year with 95 total tackles (5.9 per game), 1.5 sacks and four pass def in 16 games. In 2003 Thomas had 71 total tackles (5.9 per game), 2 sacks and 3 pass def in 12 games. Very comparable if you ask me. You didn't like Thomas and are glad he's gone, fine, but don't try to argue that he was worthless and never accomplished anything as Ram.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Scidog68
    Based on who we kept as back-up LB's, you really don't think Thomas was destined to be cut?
    No, because I think in a choice between Wahlroos and Thomas, you keep Thomas. But since the Rams had worked their trade out, they kept Wahlroos and traded Thomas. I personally think if that trade had fallen through, Wahlroos would be unemployed and Thomas would be on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    exactly, we got something instead of nothing.
    You really can't say that until you show me that Thomas was destined to be cut if he wasn't traded.

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    comparing manu to thomas isnt really a good comparison.
    No, it's a great comparison. Manu lost his starting job and has a much bigger contract than Thomas. If you're going to argue that the Rams need to rid themselves of overpriced back-ups, then you need to start jumping on Manu as well. Be consistent with the point you're making.

Manu probably will be used more, but his contract is much larger and certainly not worth the role he's going to play. It's inconsistent in my opinion to praise the Rams for getting rid of one "high priced" back-up while saying we should keep another who's paid even more.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Let's put the "Thomas was crap" mentality in perspective. Last year, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree Pisa had a great year with 95 total tackles (5.9 per game), 1.5 sacks and four pass def in 16 games. In 2003 Thomas had 71 total tackles (5.9 per game), 2 sacks and 3 pass def in 12 games. Very comparable if you ask me. You didn't like Thomas and are glad he's gone, fine, but don't try to argue that he was worthless and never accomplished anything as Ram.
    Thank you. Fans of all teams tend to do this, and it was done with guys like Wistrom and Fisher, even by myself to some extent, but certainly not to this level.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I don't think "worthless and never accomplished anything as a Ram" is entirely accurate, but "chronic under-achiever" and, "sporadic performer" are. If he were a constant presence, I don't think LB would have been such a problem area OR OUR FIRST FA SPOT FILLED in the offseason.

I re-iterate my contention that he was destined to be cut and we were lucky to get anything in return. Yes, he had started for us in the past, but lost his starting job. He was a known quantity.
    Johnson, on the other hand, has loads of (admittedly 2-year-old) potential talent, and may or may not pan out.

But so did Thomas. 'Bye, Robert.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

Yes, he had started for us in the past, but lost his starting job. He was a known quantity.Johnson, on the other hand, has loads of (admittedly 2-year-old) potential talent, and may or may not pan out.

But so did Thomas. 'Bye, Robert.
    This was said about Chris Claiborne, right? Maybe this trade will work out to be a good one, maybe not, but it is by no means a easy call.

What makes any of you think we shouldn't try to make ourselves feel better about a trade we're not sure of by bad-mouthing the guy who's gone? Are we ALL so saintly and pure that we can and should be brutally honest with ourselves and each other about EVERYTHING ALL the time?!? You think I WANT to admit it hurt when Grant left, or that I think Tommy Polley will flourish in his new surroundings? T. Fisher causes me some trepidation now that he's on the other side of our line. You think I like admitting that?

Thomas DID contribute some and he DIDN'T totally suck and Johnson IS an unknown, but c'mon! Don't tell us we're all fools and kidding ourselves for trying to salvage some good feelings from this stinkeroo.

And about Manu......Sure his contract is bigger and he DID lose his starting spot, but so what? His contributions to the team have been of greater magnitude than Thomas'. And our coach is an offensive guru. He will nurture his offensive weapons far longer than defense.

So thanks for your shot of reality. I'm at peace now. Not.

Hooah

I'm not trying to piss anybody off, here, I just want to feel good about what is going on, and I don't really. If putting some positive, artificial spin on things is what it takes, then so be it. Nobody ever wants to feel like they got the crap end of the stick. Or trade.

Hooah

I re-iterate my contention that he was destined to be cut
    People really need to stop saying this unless they can show it to be the case.

This would be like my running around saying the Rams could have got more in a trade for Thomas but didn't. Unless I can show that to be the case, I shouldn't be making that assumption.

What makes any of you think we shouldn't try to make ourselves feel better about a trade we're not sure of by bad-mouthing the guy who's gone?
    I'm all for trying to look at the positive, but when something happens that I think is bad, I'm not going to dress it up like everything's fine. I would rather fans be honest and objective about things, which means being both positive and negative. I tend to lean toward the positive, but again, if I see something I don't like, I'm going to say it. I'm not going to degrade and denounce Thomas's contributions because he's leaving simply so it looks like we got the good end of the deal.

And about Manu......Sure his contract is bigger and he DID lose his starting spot, but so what? His contributions to the team have been of greater magnitude than Thomas'.
    I'm not sure I agree with your latter statement. But what I'm trying to suggest is that fans be consistent if they're making a point. If the point is that it was good to get rid of Thomas because he was a high priced back-up, then it should be good to get rid of Manu since he's also a high priced back-up, actually an even higher-priced back-up.

DatsunDimer is offline Registered User

Johnson's rookie season (before he got hurt) it was speculated that he would be the nickelback, behind Mike McKenzie and Al Harris. I look at it this way, if he would have stayed healthy he would have been the other starting CB in Green Bay behind Harris. Thomas has had the snaps to prove what he can do, it is time for Johnson to prove he can play and contribute.

My whole point is that even the Whiners' fans don't sit around telling each other how bad their team sucks, or how Smith won't be enough to pull them out of the toilet. Everybody wants to feel good about what their FO is doing.

Sure, Thomas wasn't the Anti-Christ, but he was no Ray Lewis, either. Our FO felt this was a worth-while trade and didn't ask us our opinion. It's a done deal. Sitting around telling each other that our FO made a stupid trade does nothing for my morale as a fan.

Does making this out to be a great thing for us make us feel any better? Maybe. Does proving that it isn't so do us any good or make us feel O.K.? No. Honesty is great, sometimes.

So you can tell us all how we're wrong to feel good about this trade and how, using our logic, Manu should be gone, too. That's fine. But personally, I think our FO and coaching staff get enough crap from the media and the rest of the league (and us, on occasion!). I'd rather look at this as a great opportunity for a new KR to do us some good. Can't stop it, may as well embrace it and try to make the best of a situation I had no control of or input towards.

Hooah

I'm not trying to piss anybody off, here, I just want to feel good about what is going on, and I don't really. If putting some positive, artificial spin on things is what it takes, then so be it. Nobody ever wants to feel like they got the crap end of the stick. Or trade.
    At least you're honest about your feelings on the issue. However, are we not having a discussion on the merits of the trade? A question was posed, right? Many have said it was a no brainer because Thomas was more or less worth nothing. You yourself said, “Hell, I’d have taken a ’61 Falcon with a chicken coop under the hood”, which implies to me you felt the same. My point here is that this deal is debatable and was not as clear cut and easy to rationalize as some think.

If it works out for us great, but it’s still a big if, open to debate. Let’s face it, voicing opinions is what we do here, right?

tanus is offline Registered User

i just dont see how we got the bad end of this trade. i highly doubt robert thomas will ever be a difference maker in any game that he plays. he wasnt worth his contract and we moved him for a player with some good potential. its not like we traded a solid player. robert thomas was average at best.

also, manu will see the field a whole hell of a lot more than robert thomas would have this year. i see what you are saying nick, but manu will still play a role in the offense. thats something thomas would have only been able to do if an injury occurred to claiborne, pisa, or coakley.

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunDimer
    Johnson's rookie season (before he got hurt) it was speculated that he would be the nickelback, behind Mike McKenzie and Al Harris. I look at it this way, if he would have stayed healthy he would have been the other starting CB in Green Bay behind Harris. Thomas has had the snaps to prove what he can do, it is time for Johnson to prove he can play and contribute.
    And the Packers were so excited about what Johnson could do and optimistic about his chances of getting back on the field that they... went out and spent their first two picks in the 2004 draft on cornerbacks? That doesn't give me a lot of confidence about what they thought of Chris Johnson.

Packers trade cornerback for Rams' linebacker
    Send Johnson to St. Louis for Thomas
    By BOB McGINN
    bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
    Posted: Sept. 3, 2005

Green Bay - Linebacker Robert Thomas didn't meet expectations as a former first-round draft choice in St. Louis. Maybe he will in Green Bay.

The Packers traded cornerback Chris Johnson, who was in a close battle to make their 53-man roster, to the cornerback-thin Rams late Saturday afternoon in exchange for Thomas, a four-year veteran with a chance to start quickly for a team in dire need of linebackers.

An hour earlier, the Packers traded tackle Steve Morley to the tackle-thin New York Jets for a future conditional draft choice. Otherwise, Morley probably would have been released.

Thomas, 6-0 1/2 and 233 pounds, started 30 of 42 games for the Rams from 2002-'04, including 11 at middle linebacker last season.

However, the Rams weren't happy with Thomas' so-so toughness, inability to take on blocks and slow recovery from injuries. In early March, they paid a combined total of $6.6 million in signing bonuses to sign former Viking Chris Claiborne and former Cowboy Dexter Coakley. Holdover Pisa Tinoisamoa is the third starter.

Bill Kollar, the Rams' defensive line coach since 2001, said Thomas would have made the team as a backup. The Rams kept six linebackers.

"We thought St. Louis was a team that was strong and deep at linebacker," Packers general manager Ted Thompson said. "He runs to the ball. He's active. I wouldn't want to put a timetable on it (becoming a starter) but he's been a starter."

Thomas, 25, was taken by the Rams with the No. 31 pick in 2002. At the time, Packers coach Mike Sherman said he admired Thomas as much as any linebacker in the draft but traded up that year to No. 20 with only wide receiver Javon Walker in mind.

"I like Thomas a lot but he's going to get beat up," Sherman said on draft day. "I thought about it hard. But when you grab his hands he's a small man."

Thomas started 10 of 16 games at both outside position as a rookie and then eight in the middle and three on the weak side in 2003. In three seasons, he has 144 solo tackles, two sacks, no interceptions, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and six passes defended. He has just two career tackles on special teams.

"The guy's got a ton of ability," Kollar said. "He has never taken it obviously to where you want him to. Sort of sporadic. He had quite a few little nicks. Just about every training camp he'd miss some time."

Thomas missed three games in 2003 with a groin injury and two games in '04 with an ankle injury.

At the combine in February 2002, Thomas ran 40 yards in 4.51 seconds, had a 34-inch vertical jump and scored 21 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. His dad, Stan, was a bust at tackle as the Chicago Bears' first-round pick in '91.

A three-year starter at UCLA, Thomas had 10 turnover plays, eight sacks and 41 tackles for loss.

The Packers assumed the final two years of Thomas' five-year contract, including base salaries of $632,250 this year and $724,000 in '06 plus a $10,000 workout bonus each year.

Kollar said Thomas has played in nickel but not dime situations and was more than capable of covering the deep middle in Cover 2 defense. He also said Thomas had been easy to coach.

A season-ending knee injury suffered by starter Jerametrius Butler opened up the No. 5 cornerback berth for Johnson. He will be coached by Kurt Schottenheimer, the Packers' secondary coach last year.

"Kurt said he had unbelievable speed and was an athlete," Kollar said. "Hopefully, his knee is all right."
    So there it is. Thomas wasn't going to be cut by the Rams, so the "at least we got something instead of nothing" argument can be buried.

Point conceded. Still didn't care for Thomas. Johnson is an admitted question mark. Time will tell.

Hooah

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast