• 1 Post By Tampa_Ram
  • 1 Post By DE_Ramfan

Thread: Thomas: Horton May Get 2nd Interview

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Thomas: Horton May Get 2nd Interview

Horton may get 2nd interview; McDaniels departs

BY JIM THOMAS
    Saturday, January 7, 2012

The St. Louis Rams were impressed enough with Ray Horton during a five-hour interview Friday with the Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator that they are interested in a second interview pending Jeff Fisher's decision.

"I'm not naïve enough to believe Jeff Fisher isn't the No. 1 guy," Horton told the Arizona Republic. "But I think (the Rams) had to do their due diligence."

Horton thought the interview, his first as a head-coaching candidate, went very well. "When it was over they called my agent and said they were blown away by him, and he couldn't have been any better," Horton told the Republic.

Horton and Fisher are the only known head-coaching candidates to be interviewed by the Rams. Fisher, obviously is the frontrunner, and plans to decide between the Rams and Miami sometime next week.

But the Rams also have interest in a couple of potential head-coaching candidates whose teams currently are in the playoffs.

Horton's interview lasted five hours and among those meeting with him besides Rams owner Stan Kroenke were vice president of football operations Kevin Demoff, Rams director of player personnel Lawrence McCutcheon, and senior director of communications Ted Crews.

McDaniels to rejoin Patriots

Josh McDaniels is returning to the New England Patriots to take over as offensive coordinator next season for Bill O'Brien, who was introduced Saturday as Penn State's new coach.

A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that McDaniels is expected to serve as an offensive assistant under O'Brien for the rest of this season. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team hasn't made an announcement.

The move was first reported by ESPN.com.

O'Brien said at his news conference Saturday he intends to remain the Patriots' offensive coordinator as long as they stay in the playoffs.

McDaniels would go from near the bottom of the NFL after spending the season as offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams, who were 2-14, to a shot at the Super Bowl with the Patriots with an AFC-best 13-3 record.

He was offensive coordinator with the Patriots from 2006 to 2008 before becoming head coach of the Denver Broncos in 2009. He was fired with a 3-9 record in 2010 after losing 17 of his last 22 games. The Patriots, who had a bye this weekend, go into the playoffs with an eight-game winning streak.

The 35-year-old McDaniels was the only Rams assistant under contract through next season when Steve Spagnuolo was fired on Jan. 2.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: Horton May Get 2nd Interview

Well i guess we know what plan B is if Fisher picks Miami.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

The Associated Press that McDaniels is expected to serve as an offensive assistant under O'Brien for the rest of this season.
    Wait a sec, you are telling me he will be on their sidelines this year? That does not seem right does it?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Wait a sec, you are telling me he will be on their sidelines this year? That does not seem right does it?
    Doesn't seem right at all. He should have to go home and watch like everyone else.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I heard this on the radio and said wtf. Guy did nothing but get us second pick in the draft and got spags fired. He needs to be filing for unemployment not being another oc.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Glad to hear the interview went well. He sounds like a good fallback option, however he will be far from the only fallback option. If Fisher decides to go to Miami, I am sure Stan is going to start lining up more interviews like a mad-man, but Horton would have the inside track having an extra interview.

Keep in mind, Tomlin had as much exp. as Horton (I.E. DB coach for most of NFL career; coordinator for 1 year before being hired), and many thought he had zero chance for the job and was just a rooney rule candidate; but he knocked it out of the park and the rest is current history.

John Czarnecki talked about Horton and said "If Fisher says no to the Rams, this team could start searching the college ranks, although Arizona Cardinals defensive coordinator Ray Horton would be an interesting choice. Some say he’s a year or two away from being another Mike Tomlin."
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -01-08-2012 at 03:16 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Yeah well let him he get his year or two experience somewhere else.