Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gap

Thread: Thomas: Rams Claim WR Who Alienated The Lions

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Thomas: Rams Claim WR Who Alienated The Lions

Rams claim wide receiver who alienated the Lions

February 06, 2013 10:50 am • By Jim Thomas

As a wide receiver, Titus Young has speed, quickness and big-play ability.

As a teammate, Young proved to be a simmering powder keg, liable to go off at any second.

After proving to be a colossal headache this past season in Detroit, Young is now a Ram. The Rams claimed Young off waivers Tuesday following his release by the Lions on Monday.

St. Louis was the only team to put in a claim for Young, a second-round pick by Detroit in 2011. Young, 23, is small in stature at 5-11, 174. Although Young played inside and outside for the Lions, those are normally the dimensions for a slot receiver.

In St. Louis, the slot receiver — when healthy — for the past several years has been Danny Amendola. So it’s fair to question how this move might affect Amendola, who’s scheduled for unrestricted free agency and is engaged in contract discussions with the Rams.

“I don’t think it affects Danny one bit,” Amendola’s agent, Erik Burkhardt, said Tuesday. “Titus Young isn’t anywhere in the same ZIP code as Danny as far as a player goes. I’m sure Young may disagree with that because he thinks he’s better than Calvin Johnson.”

In a Detroit Free Press report, Young told his high school coach that he was better than Johnson, who set an NFL single-season record for reception yards this season.

With both Amendola and Brandon Gibson slated for free agency, the Rams are desperate for help at the wide receiver position. They don’t have a ton of salary cap money to pursue a high-priced wideout in free agency, and at first blush it doesn’t look like a great year for the position in the draft.

When asked how negotiations were going with the Rams on a new contract for Amendola, Burkhardt said: “In general, I would say positive. I think they know what Danny brings to the team, and the spirit of the team aside from what he does on the field.”

After a promising rookie season in 2011, when he caught 48 passes for 607 yards and six touchdowns, Young basically sulked his way out of Detroit this season because he was upset at not getting the ball enough.

Among his indiscretions, Young:

• Sucker-punched teammate Louis Delmas during volunteer workouts.

• Had a meltdown in a Nov. 18 game versus Green Bay, purposely lining up in the wrong spot in an effort to get the ball thrown to him. This spilled over into a sideline argument between Lions wide receiver coach Shawn Jefferson and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, the former Rams coach.

• Asked to be released via his Twitter account. He tweeted on Jan. 25: “If y’all going to cut me, let me go. I’m tired of the threats.”

He got his wish Monday, the day after the Super Bowl, and the first day players could be released in the NFL.

The Rams inherit his original contract, which calls for a $555,000 base salary this season, plus a $185,000 roster bonus. Young also is under contract in 2014, earning a base salary of $645,000. So financially, anyway, there’s little risk for the Rams in claiming Young.

The real risk is the potential negative effect on the locker room, if things don’t go Young’s way. On several occasions last season, coach Jeff Fisher touted the togetherness and family atmosphere of the locker room as one of the team’s big assets.

Young does have a former Boise State teammate, Austin Pettis, in the wide receiver corps in St. Louis. But if Amendola and Gibson sign elsewhere in free agency, there will not be a veteran wide receiver presence in the locker room.

Besides Pettis, the only other Rams wideouts under contract who played in 2012 are Chris Givens and Brian Quick. Fisher probably talked to Detroit coach Jim Schwartz, a former defensive coordinator for Fisher in Tennessee, about Young. But at the end, even Schwartz didn’t have much good to say about Young.

In Detroit, Young was sent home three times during a seven-month period. Young wasn’t happy when he opened the 2012 season (against St. Louis) as the Lions’ No. 3 wide receiver behind Johnson and Nate Burleson. Things reached a peak in that Green Bay game.

He was inactive for insubordination the next two games and then was placed on the injured reserve list for a knee issue that had been nagging him all season.

When announcing that Young had been placed on IR, Schwartz said Young would undergo knee surgery, “unless he doesn’t show up for it.”

In late November, before Young had been placed on IR, veteran center Dominic Raiola told the Detroit News: “We’ve moved on from him. He wants to be a (bleep), let him be a (bleep). It’s not my problem. What we can control is the guys who want to be here. And when you act like that you don’t want to be here.”

Young ended up catching 33 passes for 383 yards and four TDs in 10 games for the Lions in 2012.

Young’s agent did not respond Tuesday to phone and text messages.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Thomas: Rams Claim WR Who Alienated The Lions

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Fisher probably talked to Detroit coach Jim Schwartz, a former defensive coordinator for Fisher in Tennessee, about Young.
    I agree. In fact, I postulated the same thing.

But at the end, even Schwartz didn’t have much good to say about Young.
    Wait a second, Jim. You just said that Fisher "probably" spoke with Schwartz, meaning you're not certain if he did or did not. If that's the case, how could you possibly know what Schwartz might have said in response?

Isn't it possible that Schwartz said something like "Jeff, I just can't get through to this kid. Hopefully you can, because I think there is still the potential for him to grow up. He's just become too much of a distraction here and we had no choice but to let him go"?

Yeah... its just my imagination that Thomas is going out of his way to slant Rams related stories in a negative light.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Well at some point its gotta sink into Young's skull that you only have so many chances in the NFL. I don't like the timing of the Rams acquistion in that it re-enforces Young's self oppion on himself as "being special". It would have been better to let Young sweat it out that no one wants him...and then let him think himself lucky to find a job.

I would be more comfortable if Fisher had talked to Young first to get the nature of his charactor. But considering how well R. Moss worked out for the 49whinners suppose they would have pounced to get Young quicker then most

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Well at some point its gotta sink into Young's skull that you only have so many chances in the NFL. I don't like the timing of the Rams acquistion in that it re-enforces Young's self oppion on himself as "being special". It would have been better to let Young sweat it out that no one wants him...and then let him think himself lucky to find a job.

I would be more comfortable if Fisher had talked to Young first to get the nature of his charactor. But considering how well R. Moss worked out for the 49whinners suppose they would have pounced to get Young quicker then most
    If the RAMS don't pick him up on waivers, they have to compete with everyone else via free agency. While it is apparent that no one wanted him, his agent could still have a negotiating stance. And we all know how reasonable sports agents are. Better to choose waiver and cut him if necessary, than go free agency and have an agent "shop him around". Also, as a free agent, he could pick his team. This means he could try to sign with a potential SB contender for much less than other teams would pay for his talent, just to have a better chance at a SB ring. Why do you think the cheatroits are always so low in cap dollars? Players know they get away with more, and will take less money to have a chance to get an easier ring.

gap
    Ram Dragoon likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=gap;454027]If the RAMS don't pick him up on waivers, they have to compete with everyone else via free agency. While it is apparent that no one wanted him, his agent could still have a negotiating stance. And we all know how reasonable sports agents are. Better to choose waiver and cut him if necessary, than go free agency and have an agent "shop him around". Also, as a free agent, he could pick his team. This means he could try to sign with a potential SB contender for much less than other teams would pay for his talent, just to have a better chance at a SB ring. Why do you think the cheatroits are always so low in cap dollars? Players know they get away with more, and will take less money to have a chance to get an easier ring.

I mostly aggree and why I think the Rams where the first to "pounce* to pick T. Young up. However am remembering T.O. and R. Moss in how destructive these personalities where to their teams. Likely, the 49whinners would have picked T. Young up if the Rams didn't, considering how well Moss didn't workout for them ((snicker)).

Not sure there is an easier SB ring out there to go and get. I never predicted the Ravens would make it to the payoffs let alone walk away with the SB. But I do love it seeing the Pats bust their butts to make it to the playoffs and totally implode. But totally aggree for the 49whinners, them getting T. Young would have been a great move to work with Crabtree. But I do worry that the Rams might have got themselves a distraction. But if I can predict the future, I'd have already picked 6-winning lottory tickets and own the Rams--haha!