Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thomas: Rams embarrass themselves in Seattle

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thomas: Rams embarrass themselves in Seattle

Rams embarrass themselves in Seattle
    46 minutes ago BY JIM THOMAS

SEATTLE There's a difference between getting beaten and getting embarrassed, and the Rams definitely got embarrassed Sunday.

It's one thing to lose at CenturyLink Field, a place where the Seahawks have lost only once in the last two years. Similarly, the Rams aren't the first team to discover it's tough to move the ball against the NFL's top-ranked defense.

But then there were the was the matter of penalties. And more penalties. And more. . . .You get the point. The Rams lost their collective cool, lost defensive tackle Kendall Langford who was ejected for striking an official and lost for the ninth straight time in the Pacific Northwest.

As a result of their 27-9 loss, the Rams finished 2013 with a 7-9 record, making it seven straight losing seasons and 10 straight seasons without a winning record. Seattle, meanwhile, finished at 13-3 to win the NFC West and earn the No. 1 seed in the NFC.

Running back Zac Stacy fell short of 1,000 yards. Robert Quinn had a sack but fell one-half sack short of winning the NFL sack title because Robert Mathis had two sacks Sunday for Indianaolis.

Things couldn't have started worse for the Rams. On their first possession of the game, after their defense forced a 3-and-out, quarterback Kellen Clemens' third pass of the game was picked off by Seattle linebacker Malcolm Smith and returned 37 yards for a touchdown.

Clemens' first option was covered, and as he threw back over the middle it looked like the ball might have sailed on him. That made it a league-leading 27 interceptions for the top-ranked Seattle defense.

The Seahawks put the clamps on Stacy and the Rams running game, stuffing the box with extra defenders _ eight and sometimes nine up close to the line of scrimmage. Stacy's quest for 1,000 yards rushing started at a snail's pace. He had only three yards on 10 carries at the half.

It was obvious the Rams missed the blocking of Jake Long at left tackle. And it was a double whammy because Rodger Saffold wasn't at right guard, where he had played so well down the stretch this season.

(Saffold started at left tackle Sunday replacing Long, who suffered a season-ending knee injury last week against Tampa Bay; Shelley Smith came off the bench to start at right guard.)

The Rams' defense was up to the task, sacking Russell Wilson three times in the first half, while allowing only two field goals and 130 yards to the Seahawks. Quinn got one of those sacks, giving him 19 for the season. Both of those field goals came after the Seahawks had first-and-goal opportunities.

It was a chippy first half, with plenty of hard hits, extra hits, and late hits. The teams combined for 99 yards on nine penalties, and that didn't include several offsetting penalties.

Special teams penalties, an early-season trouble spot for the Rams, resurfaced Sunday. Ray Ray Armstrong and Eugene Sims were both flagged on Seattle's first punt of the day. On Seattle's third punt, three Rams were penalized, but it turned out to be offsetting penalties because of one flag against Seattle.

So Seattle had to punt again, but lo and behold, Armstrong was flagged for a personal foul on that play.

The Rams looked like they were intent on making a game of it in the second half, getting easily their best field position of the game at that point on a 32-yard punt return by Austin Pettis, replacing the injured Justin Veltung. That gave them a first-and-10 at the Seattle 31. A 13-yard pass from Clemens to Stedman Bailey got the Rams in the red zone, but that's as far they got, settling for a Greg Zeurlein field goal and a 13-3 deficit.

After the ensuing kickoff, the Rams unraveled. In the midst of an 80-yard touchdown drive, an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Alec Ogletree for a late hit out of bounds, was followed by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and an ejection of Kendall Langford at the end of that play. Langford was ejected for touching an official.

More precisely, Langford knocked the hat off of back judge Steve Freeman. Freeman was behind Langford at the time. Langford didn't see Freeman and struck his hat while pointing emphatically in the direction of the Rams' sideline.

Those two penalties gave Seattle a first-and-goal from the Rams' 1, and after a loss of one yard by quarterback Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch scored from two yards out with 2:21 left in the third quarter. It was 20-3 Seahawks and the Rams' hopes for a non-losing season were dead.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: Rams embarrass themselves in Seattle

Lots of work to do. Especially with the penalties which were unacceptable.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

While I will not state that we should have won the game (we should NOT have), I do question the officiating of the game.
    I saw enough evidence to show favoritism by the officials towards the Seahawks, and I question one call, as well as several non-calls, and in addition, the duplicate "half the distance" penalties. I am not aware that officials are able to enforce one penalty, then enforce another penalty that result in loss of yardage back-to-back on one play. Please excuse my verbiage and attempt at explanation, for I am drinking heavily after that fiasco the refs decided was necessary to ensure a Seattle win.

I would much rather have lost an honest game than one in which the officials showed favoritism to a team that did not need help.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

While it is true the RAMS embarrassed themselves by letting the officials get under their skin, the officials embarrassed the NFL by doing everything they could to get under the RAMS' skin. Simply unacceptable behavior by the officials, which caused the RAMS to display unacceptable behavior.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    While I will not state that we should have won the game (we should NOT have), I do question the officiating of the game.
    I saw enough evidence to show favoritism by the officials towards the Seahawks, and I question one call, as well as several non-calls, and in addition, the duplicate "half the distance" penalties. I am not aware that officials are able to enforce one penalty, then enforce another penalty that result in loss of yardage back-to-back on one play. Please excuse my verbiage and attempt at explanation, for I am drinking heavily after that fiasco the refs decided was necessary to ensure a Seattle win.

I would much rather have lost an honest game than one in which the officials showed favoritism to a team that did not need help.
    Oh, there was lots of BS in the way of officiating. I could not tell you how many holding calls should
    have been called.
    Haste likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post

You are correct, it is against NFL rules to apply two penalties, to one team, on the same play.

gap

Truth is offline Registered User
    If one penalty is a live ball penalty, and the other is a dead ball penalty, both can enforced, at the same time, on the same team.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Right, dead ball fouls can be called in succession. It's like when a team gets penalized for holding, then gets penalized for delay-of-game, then gets penalized for a faults-start, then gets penalized again for too many men in the huddle. That's four penalties called on a team even though only one play was run.
    bradwill likes this.

Well, the main thing is that the offense basically stunk, the OL was horrible, and the coverage on Tate
    was just all around poor.

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    Right, dead ball fouls can be called in succession. It's like when a team gets penalized for holding, then gets penalized for delay-of-game, then gets penalized for a faults-start, then gets penalized again for too many men in the huddle. That's four penalties called on a team even though only one play was run.
    Yeah, but your example is four penalties in four unsuccessful attempts to run that one play. What happened yesterday was several penalties stacked on top of each other in one play. It surprised me when it happened. I didn't think it was right then, and I still don't. I expect an explanation or an apology from the NFL within a few days.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The gist of the article is on point. The Rams have got to eliminate the tendency to lose their poise when the game starts to get away from them. There have been too many instances this season where it has happened for any of us to claim otherwise. It is the professional equivalent of a child throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get his way; the game starts to get away, adversity rears it's head, a bad call here or there and the Rams come unglued. It is a clear cut case of immaturity, any objective viewer with two eyes sees it, and it will hurt our football team dearly in the future if it is not corrected.

And a team can absolutely be assessed multiple penalties on one play, but only one can be accepted if you're talking about on-field fouls. So if a team is caught defensive holding and also roughing the passer, the offended team takes the one penalty (in this case the roughing). An additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty can be assessed after the initial foul. So if a team roughs the passer, then gets hit with unsportsmanlike for arguing the call, 30 yards is marched off. Savage Ram's explanation is accurate.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Terrible way to end the year. I was disgusted with the refs but with the Rams as well. On top of it all we got beat down without the refs' help.
    live4ramin and bradwill like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

JMO but that interception by Clemens wasn't really his fault. It went through the hands of Kendricks so I'm not sure how that is Clemens' fault. While it was a hard throw to a TE and a little high, if both your hands touch the ball, I'm not sure how you can act as if the QB is responsible.
    bradwill likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I was hoping for a win but knew it would be a long shot.....I fully expected we would compete. What happened was a black eye and a beat down. We were physically manhandled and the Rams reacted like children.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

It might actually help that the season ended this way. Perhaps some of the guys can take this example of how NOT to handle thmselves and move into next year with a different focus on game days. This team looked flat out mentally WEAK on too many occasions this year.
    live4ramin and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast