• 1 Post By macrammer
  • 1 Post By Azul e Oro
  • 1 Post By citr92

Thread: Thomas: 'Rams Killer' Hill Now Ready To Help

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Thomas: 'Rams Killer' Hill Now Ready To Help

'Rams killer' Hill now ready to help

18 hours ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com

Soft-spoken Shaun Hill seemed almost embarrassed by the notion of his “Rams killer” tendencies in San Francisco and Detroit. Of his 26 NFL career starts, four have come against the Rams — and he’s 4-0 in those games.

“I didn’t put all that together,” Hill said, laughing. “I don’t know how to answer that question. I never thought of it like that.”

Doesn’t matter. Now that he has signed a one-year deal as the Rams’ new backup quarterback, Hill goes from Rams killer to Rams helper following the departure of Kellen Clemens to San Diego.

Hill, 34, hopes to bring leadership, toughness and attitude to his role, while obviously staying ready to step into the lineup if called upon.

“How that comes kinda depends,” Hill said, speaking specifically of the leadership aspect. “Obviously, Sam (Bradford) is the guy, Sam’s the starter. So you kinda have to take a back seat.”

Hill considered signing with the Rams two years ago, making a free-agent visit to Rams Park during Jeff Fisher’s first offseason as head coach. But he opted for a return to Detroit instead. This time around, he decided to leave the Lions for the Rams.

“Took my visit here, and just put all the information on the table and tried to make the best decision,” Hill said Thursday. “My life’s no different than anybody else’s life. Things change relatively rapidly. What makes sense for us this year may have been different than what made sense for us two years ago.”

With a waterfront home on the Lake of the Ozarks, Hill’s permanent residence is much closer to his place of work than it was when he played for the Lions. It’s a 2½-hour drive door-to-door from the lake to Rams Park for the native of Parsons., Kan.

An avid fisherman, Hill bought a house at the Lake of the Ozarks in 2005.

“I’m from southeast Kansas, so I looked around in Oklahoma, Table Rock and Lake of the Ozarks — and that’s the one we kind of fell in love with. We really enjoy it. I don’t get to fish nearly as much as I want to,” he said.

One reason Hill decided to drop his professional line in St. Louis was a chance to work once again with Rams quarterback coach Frank Cignetti.

“We were together for one year (2007) in San Francisco,” Hill said. “We have some familiarity with each other. He knows what I do as a player. And I know how he coaches. He knows how to communicate with me and things like that. I’m very excited to work with him again.”

That familiarity will make learning the Rams’ offensive playbook a little easier for Hill.

“You have a quarterback coach that’s familiar with a system that you’ve been in in the past,” Hill said. “You kind of have a way to learn the new system through the old system, and he can bring you along in the new terminology.”

Hill made three late-season starts under Cignetti in ‘07, winning two of the three while completing 68.4 percent of his passes with a 106.3 passer rating.

Cignetti left the ***** for a college job (at Cal) after the ‘07 season. But during the ‘08 season, Hill got to work with former Rams head coach Mike Martz, who was the *****’ offensive coordinator that season.

“He’s a very sharp guy,” Martz said. “Displayed good leadership. All those intangibles — he’s got ‘em.”

Martz is rarely wrong on quarterbacks, but said that was the case with Hill in San Francisco.

“He was a better player than I gave him credit for,” Martz said. “In practice, he was kind of up and down.”

But in games?

“He just made plays,” Martz said. “I think he’ll be a great addition for the Rams.”

Hill started eight games in ‘08 for Martz in San Francisco, winning five. For the year, he completed 62.8 percent of his passes for an 87.5 passer rating.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: 'Rams Killer' Hill Now Ready To Help

I understand Aaron Rodgers wasn't available, but forgive me for not feeling terribly excited over the signing of a guy who has thrown 16 passes in his last three NFL seasons.
    RockinRam likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

Some are really excited by the signing others it is a ok good to have a guy can play. For me it is a bit of both and a thanks to the gods I don't have to watch KC any more! I have much more faithe in Hill than I ever did in KC we actually have a chance to compete if god forbid Sammy goes down again... But I still am hoping we draft one of these guys in the draft this year as many feel there is more than one will be a nice player for us to groom. Good luck to Shaun, and here is to hoping he only sees the practice field or some mop up work if we get a nice lead in a game or two.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I understand Aaron Rodgers wasn't available, but forgive me for not feeling terribly excited over the signing of a guy who has thrown 16 passes in his last three NFL seasons.
    Who would you have preferred? Just curious?

kman is offline Registered User

I think hes one of the better backups in the league..hes definatley better then clemens

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Who would you have preferred? Just curious?
    I honestly didn't give it much thought. In retrospect and in terms of ability, Michael Vick and Josh Freeman- two guys recently signed as back-ups (and two guys I don't care for) - are nonetheless head and shoulders above Hill. Again, if a guy is THAT good, he wouldn't be a back-up and he certainly wouldn't be available. But I view the Hill signing as a ho-hum business-as-usual deal, certainly nothing to get "excited" about.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Is the passer rating a good measure of the effectiveness of a QB? KC career is 68 and Sam is 79. Hill is 86......BTW, I for one was very pleasantly surprised how KC played last year. The prospects for a REAL ugly season were there....but we managed to be decent to GOOD at times....

Randart is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Is the passer rating a good measure of the effectiveness of a QB? KC career is 68 and Sam is 79. Hill is 86......BTW, I for one was very pleasantly surprised how KC played last year. The prospects for a REAL ugly season were there....but we managed to be decent to GOOD at times....
    So sorry mac but I really feel we also were horriable at times due in large part to KC... The games we did well in I honestly feel the entire team really picked up the slack for Sammy being out and especially Stacy and Bam Bam when they were healthy enough to go. Also the O-Line maybe even played a bit over their heads at times doing a really good job in a few games. Just my view, I cannot and refuse to give K.C. much credit as I felt he also lost us games we could have/should have won. Put me in the Bernie Kosar fan club when it comes to evaluations of K. C.! LOL
    Last edited by Randart; -04-17-2014 at 03:47 PM.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    So sorry mac but I really feel we also we were horriable at times due in large part due to KC... The games we did well in I honestly feel the entire team really picked up the slack for Sammy being out and especially Stacy and Bam Bam when they were healthy enough to go. Also the O-Line maybe even played a bit over their heads at times doing a really good job in a few games. Just my view, I cannot and refuse to give K.C. much credit as I felt he also lost us games we could have/should have won. Put me in the Bernie Kosar fan club when it comes to evaluations of K. C.! LOL
    Agree completely. The one bone I can throw Kellen's way is that I believe he gave his all every game - he truly "left it all on the field." That said, lack of accuracy and arm strength have much to do with why he is a perennial backup.
    Randart likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Agree completely. The one bone I can throw Kellen's way is that I believe he gave his all every game - he truly "left it all on the field." That said, lack of accuracy and arm strength have much to do with why he is a perennial backup.
    The Rams went 4-5 with him at QB. Which was better then the 0-9 many thought was coming our way. Which tells me that Sam should be better in 2014 from a W/L perspective.........
    MauiRam likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I honestly didn't give it much thought. In retrospect and in terms of ability, Michael Vick and Josh Freeman- two guys recently signed as back-ups (and two guys I don't care for) - are nonetheless head and shoulders above Hill. Again, if a guy is THAT good, he wouldn't be a back-up and he certainly wouldn't be available. But I view the Hill signing as a ho-hum business-as-usual deal, certainly nothing to get "excited" about.
    Hill has come off the bench & played well. Vick and Freeman got starter reps in practice and couldn't keep their jobs. And would you have been excited if The Rams paid a back-up QB $5 mill for a year like Vick, given the state of the team ? I would have been...but not in a good way.
    I agree that Hill's signing is unlikely to be key to a good 2014 season but I like the rationale I sense behind it.
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully, these will be Hill's stats this year:

Pass attempts: 0
    Completions: 0
    Yards: 0
    TDs: 0
    Interceptions: 0

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

or bradford gets some rest from a huge lead
    MauiRam likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

OK, I'll play.

Against most teams:
    Starts: 0
    Pass attempts: 2-3
    Completions: 2-3
    Yards: 15-20
    TDs: 1 (reception or run from the wildcat, just to keep people guessing)

Against 49whiners or SChickens
    Starts: 0
    Pass attempts: 25-30
    Completions: 25-30
    Yards: 250-300
    TDs: 5-6
    Final Score: 84-6 (Sammy sits the second half due to safe lead.)

gap