Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PHAT-MONEY Guest
    oh.. i thought each team had like a set limit for coaches salary.. my bad. I hope bernie is right.. we need a coach with a martz like offense.

wow.. the awesome RamDez Replied to My Post... I have been waiting for that for a long time... where u at all the time dez?
    Last edited by Nick; -01-27-2008 at 05:23 AM. Reason: No need to double post, just edit please

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: Rams like Williams as coach of secondary, more info on Saunders

Ahahahaha. Secondary coach? Are you kidding me? Don't even insult the guy with the offer.

Gregg Williams has a better chance of getting a head coaching gig than taking a position coach. And there are plenty of teams (ie Jax) out there that need a defensive coordinator and others who would probably boot their current one for him. If you want to keep Haslett, fine. But don't pretend you're making a move you know you're not going to make. Instead, use those wasted motions on trying to get someone to fill a position you have a chance on.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

I hope he comes aboard.. that would be cool.

NIck i would have edited it, but it has spells where it lets me sometimes, and the othertimes it doesnt.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Well it certainly doesn't hurt to offer him the position even if the chances are that he won't be interested. The worst he can do is say no, and there is always the small chance he would say yes. But I'm far more interested in the Saunders situation, if reports are to be believed he really wants to coach this season and ours is one of the few jobs remaining.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Maybe I am being a little extreme Nick, but 1) Williams has already been a head coach in the NFL and River had not and 2) San Diego didn't make a big-to-do about pursuing him as linebackers coach in the media (so far as I can recall). Its one thing to silently ask the guy if he'll consider knowing its a long shot...its quite another for a franchise in disarray to have a front cover of the sports section story on it. They're obviously trying to make the fans feel better that they're doing something, but I'd like to think that we all know better and that we're embarassed by such an empty attempt at placating fans.

But maybe that's just me.

GameTime is offline Registered User

As far as Williams as our secondary coach. You have to ask in order for it to happen. If the Rams never put out the interest, we would never no. I have no shame for the team in doing this. If he says no, so what. move on.

Saunders would be excellent to have as the OC. I am very excited about this possibility. If Linehan does get fired next year, I would rather have Saunders as a potential HC than Cameron.

That said, Linehan is in my doghouse like he is for many of you. But last I checked his title still says, Head Coach - St Louis Rams. I am with the coach and hoping he can make the adjustements to the team and himself.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That seems a bit extreme. Let's remember that after being a successful coordinator and hot head coaching name for a few years, Ron Rivera went to San Diego after his contract ran up in Chicago to become a position coach. What's the worst that happens here, that Williams says no? It sounds like the team recognizes it's a long shot, but at least they can say they reached out and tried.

The Bears let him go really late. I don't think there were any HC or DC positions open in the NFL at that point. This is still early- it's a different situation. I also think Williams is a better and much more successful coordinator than Haslett. He's going to look at it as an insult.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-MONEY View Post
    NIck i would have edited it, but it has spells where it lets me sometimes, and the othertimes it doesnt.
    Sometimes I have this same problem it won't let me edit. What I normally do is use the advanced button and then accept it from there and it works fine. Don't know why but it seems to work every time I have had a problem with it starring back at me when I try to edit a post.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    As far as Williams as our secondary coach. You have to ask in order for it to happen. If the Rams never put out the interest, we would never no. I have no shame for the team in doing this. If he says no, so what. move on.

Saunders would be excellent to have as the OC. I am very excited about this possibility. If Linehan does get fired next year, I would rather have Saunders as a potential HC than Cameron.
    I agree with all of this. I also think the FO showing interest in Williams now could help in future years should we decide to can Haslett or Linehan. Also who is to say that if he accpets the interview that things don't change and Linehan offers him the DC position. If I where a HC and had an oppertunity to take a look and gauge interest in a good DC coming on to work for me I might ask to interview him for a lesser position. Then bring up what his interest would be in being a DC for the Rams. It would be hard to gauge that interest without pissing off Haslett otherwise.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-27-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: No need to double post, just edit please

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    The Bears let him go really late. I don't think there were any HC or DC positions open in the NFL at that point. This is still early- it's a different situation.
    Rivera was interviewing with the Cowboys for their vacant head coaching position as late as February 6th, 2007. He also interviewed for the vacant head coaching spot in San Diego on February 16th. So there definitely were vacancies at that point.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

NJRamsGuy is offline Registered User

OK. You're right that there's no harm in offering him the position. As long as we're not letting someone else with more of a chance to take the job get a job somewhere as we interview Williams. But I doubt that's the case. So conduct an interview and make the offer. Hopefully the Rams front office will know it's a slim chance and still keep others in mind.

I still think teams like Jax will make a big push for him. I don't believe they filled the position yet.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Rivera was interviewing with the Cowboys for their vacant head coaching position as late as February 6th, 2007. He also interviewed for the vacant head coaching spot in San Diego on February 16th. So there definitely were vacancies at that point.

I think both of those positions were already filled- not offically- by that point. Just that Jones and the GM from SD already had Phillips and Turner in mind. Anyway, I'm not sure of the exact date that Rivera was eventually let go, but I'm pretty sure there were no lateral moves for him to make at that point, so he settled for the LB coach gig. When he was interviewing for those positions, I think he was still on the Bears payroll. If he's not a DC on someone's staff this year- I would be surprised- I really liked him in that position. The Bears defense took a tumble under Smith and Babich.

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

That seems a bit extreme. Let's remember that after being a successful coordinator and hot head coaching name for a few years, Ron Rivera went to San Diego after his contract ran up in Chicago to become a position coach. What's the worst that happens here, that Williams says no? It sounds like the team recognizes it's a long shot, but at least they can say they reached out and tried.
    And Jim Mora Jr. signed on as a D backs coach with Seattle.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

that's cause of how poor the falcons did..plus he didint resign... they Fired him.

MSRamman is offline Registered User

One more thing to consider...If memory serves, wasn't there some talk about Haslett NOT being with us for the '08 season? Could this maybe be a "pre-emptive strike" so to speak, to get someone in place in case Has leaves? Outside chance, and maybe pretty wild, but... just the same...

chiguy is offline Registered User

Honestly, this is a butt covering move from Linehan and the front office, designed to make it look like they are "doing something." They know it won't work, but it looks dramatic and may make fans a little happier. I can't be so cynical that I'm the only person that sees it that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-27-2008, 02:05 AM