Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Thomas: Rams receive permission to interview Bowles, Frazier, Ryan, and Sherman

Devaney’s 'dance card' filling up.
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/04/2009

Billy Devaney’s "dance card" is filling up.

The Rams have received permission to interview four additional candidates for their head-coaching job. By the end of this week, Todd Bowles of Miami, Leslie Frazier of Minnesota, Rex Ryan of Baltimore, and Ray Sherman of Dallas could all be interviewed.

Devaney, the Rams’ general manager, confirmed Sunday evening that the team has received permission to speak to all four candidates, and was in the process of setting up interviews.

Sherman is wide receivers coach for the Cowboys. Bowles is assistant head coach-secondary coach of the Dolphins; Frazier is assistant head coach-defensive coordinator of the Vikings.

Miami and Minnesota were eliminated Sunday in wild-card games, so there are no restrictions on when the Rams might interview them.

Ryan, the assistant head coach-defensive coordinator of the Ravens, is still playing. Baltimore advanced to the divisional round of the playoffs Sunday by defeating Miami 27-9. The Ravens travel to Tennessee this coming Saturday.

Sources close to Ryan say he may not want to interview with the Rams until next Sunday, so as not to interfere with preparations for the game with Tennessee.

The Rams’ only interview to date _ Green Bay assistant head coach-linebackers coach Winston Moss _ took place Saturday. Devaney said Moss’ interview was impressive, but contrary to some reports Sunday, Devaney said no second interview has been scheduled with Moss.

Bobby Beathard, who is part of Devaney’s search committee, was unable to participate in the Moss interview because of a family matter in Virginia. Rams director of player personnel Lawrence McCutcheon, the other member of the search committee, did participate in the interview.

"We’re getting our thoughts together," said Devaney, who did not want to get into specifics about the candidates. "We’re kind of peeling off names, and you might say, still tinkering with our candidate list. . . .I need to get some feedback from Bobby, and Dan and Marshall."

Former NFL greats Dan Dierdorf and Marshall Faulk are advising Devaney, although they are not taking parts in the candidate interviews.

The pending interviews with Bowles, Frazier, Ryan and Sherman give the Rams at least six confirmed candidates. (The others being Moss and Jim Haslett.)

But the Rams also have expressed at least some level of interest in former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel; Arizona assistant head coach-offensive coordinator Russ Grimm; Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz; Tennessee offensive line coach Mike Munchak; Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo; and Dallas assistant head coach-offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. No interviews have been set up with any of those coaches, although that could change in the coming days.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: Rams receive permission to interview Bowles, Frazier, Ryan, and Sherman

Great news Nick. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Devaney’s 'dance card' filling up.
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/04/2009

Billy Devaney’s "dance card" is filling up.

The Rams have received permission to interview four additional candidates for their head-coaching job. By the end of this week, Todd Bowles of Miami, Leslie Frazier of Minnesota, Rex Ryan of Baltimore, and Ray Sherman of Dallas could all be interviewed.

Devaney, the Rams’ general manager, confirmed Sunday evening that the team has received permission to speak to all four candidates, and was in the process of setting up interviews.

Sherman is wide receivers coach for the Cowboys. Bowles is assistant head coach-secondary coach of the Dolphins; Frazier is assistant head coach-defensive coordinator of the Vikings.

Miami and Minnesota were eliminated Sunday in wild-card games, so there are no restrictions on when the Rams might interview them.

Ryan, the assistant head coach-defensive coordinator of the Ravens, is still playing. Baltimore advanced to the divisional round of the playoffs Sunday by defeating Miami 27-9. The Ravens travel to Tennessee this coming Saturday.

Sources close to Ryan say he may not want to interview with the Rams until next Sunday, so as not to interfere with preparations for the game with Tennessee.

The Rams’ only interview to date _ Green Bay assistant head coach-linebackers coach Winston Moss _ took place Saturday. Devaney said Moss’ interview was impressive, but contrary to some reports Sunday, Devaney said no second interview has been scheduled with Moss.

Bobby Beathard, who is part of Devaney’s search committee, was unable to participate in the Moss interview because of a family matter in Virginia. Rams director of player personnel Lawrence McCutcheon, the other member of the search committee, did participate in the interview.

"We’re getting our thoughts together," said Devaney, who did not want to get into specifics about the candidates. "We’re kind of peeling off names, and you might say, still tinkering with our candidate list. . . .I need to get some feedback from Bobby, and Dan and Marshall."

Former NFL greats Dan Dierdorf and Marshall Faulk are advising Devaney, although they are not taking parts in the candidate interviews.

The pending interviews with Bowles, Frazier, Ryan and Sherman give the Rams at least six confirmed candidates. (The others being Moss and Jim Haslett.)

But the Rams also have expressed at least some level of interest in former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel; Arizona assistant head coach-offensive coordinator Russ Grimm; Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz; Tennessee offensive line coach Mike Munchak; Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo; and Dallas assistant head coach-offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. No interviews have been set up with any of those coaches, although that could change in the coming days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Thomas: Rams receive permission to interview Bowles, Frazier, Ryan, and Sherman

Great news!

I want Rex Ryan really bad. The guy has made a defense that has been feared by the league for years. One of the most consistent squads I have seen in the NFL.

Who knows, if Ryan comes, we may even be capable of landing Bart Scott!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i really wish we would stop wasting our time thinking about anyone from the cowboys!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

This article just goes to show people need to stop listening to garbage rumors posted on rotoworld or a blog. They take a quote, add in their rumor and pass it off as one quote from a source. They just want web hits and care nothing for accuracy. Unless we hear it from the team, I don't even pay attention to it.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

At this point, I am happy with the list of candidates.

Given the impressive list of advisors, I trust that Devaney will make the right choice.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

From what I'm piecing together two teams are interested in speaking
    to Leslie Frazier - the Detroit Lions and the St. Louis Rams.

Fraizer's Defense was dead last in the NFL in Pass Defense last year before the Vikings committed major bucks on the Number #1 Defensive Free Agent - Jared Allen.

keith m. klink Guest

I kinda feel that success breeds success , if you look at some of these candidates , i see very very succesful aast.'s and asst. HC's on this list . And when you want guy's like , RYAN , GRIMM , MUNCHAK , SPAGNUOLO , GARRETT , this is a very different monster from the LINEHAN hiring. We all have to very very happy ALREADY of the effort and quality that DEVANEY is showing in this search . I think the RAMS saw the writing that was scribbled on the wall a long time ago , and just waited till the very last minute before pulling this franchise out of the fire , and just in time.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I know this is dare I saying daring and a mere pipedream. But since now Shaw and Zygment is out my dream Scenario would be for the Rams to land Rex Ryan and have his offensive coordinator be Mikey Martz. (obv. i'm joking around people so no messages saying this is the stupidiest idea or anything like that). You would have a great mind on the defense along with the wild and crazy mind of Martz back at it again in STL. Where he could put Big Game back on his high horse and have D-AVery running routes like we still had the reverend on the team

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Lots of reasons to be optimistic about next year and beyond.

Rex Ryan would bring a toughness to our team that has been missing for quite some time. I would say going back to the glory days of the '70's and early '80's. We haven't had really "tough" players who were durable and able to play through injury since the days of Jack Youngblood, Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, Jackie Slater, Isiah Robertson or Kevin Greene. Since then there seems to have been a premuim placed on speed, which is the way the league has gone. I'm sure there will be some who will post replies contradicting this, but I see us this way for many years now.

Go Rams!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Rex Ryan has a bunch stars going to be FA's and they all happen to be major needs for the Rams. If he could bring in one out of Bart Scott, Terelle Suggs, or Jason Brown (rey lewis seems impossible to me to get) he will have building blocks to the team he wants to build who alreayd know his style. He also has been in the league for a long time and I think he could build the best staff around him with guys like his brother Rob and and Brian Billick. Ryan is the best choice IMO he has the ability to run the 3-4 or 4-3 effectively.

If we don't get Ryan Leslie Frazier is problay second on my list. He probably already has the best players to fit his cover 2 system.

bigredman is offline Registered User

But really guys....would Ryan look at the Rams and say "there are the building blocks from which I can build a defense in the Raven's image, or would one of the other teams pursuing him be more attractive (taking money out of the equation). I think Ryan will hold out for the Colts job if their HC leaves. I see Frazier a more realistic possibility (other than Haslett).
    Last edited by bigredman; -01-05-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    But really guys....would Ryan look at the Rams and say "there are the building blocks from which I can build a defense in the Raven's image, or would one of the other teams pursuing him be more attractive (taking money out of the equation). I think Ryan will hold out for the Colts job if their HC leaves. I see Frazier a more realistic possibility (other than Haslett).
    the Colts have announced Jim Caldwell (i think thats his name) to be the coach in waiting when Dungy leaves.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    the Colts have announced Jim Caldwell (i think thats his name) to be the coach in waiting when Dungy leaves.
    Yeah...I heard that too, but it doesn't make any sense to me. The Colts desperately need a defensive mind to complete the jigsaw that could end in a dynasty. They already have all the offensive brain trust there. I don't know. If the owner made a pact to succeed Dungy, then he's a dumb ass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thresher is offline Registered User

"Hire me Rams!"

Sincerely,
    Romeo Crenel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast