Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

For those who complained about the signing of A.J. Feeley...

and more specifically the 2 year, $6 million contract given to him. Just look at the QBs that were given contracts recently:

Derek Anderson has been given a $7.25 million contract, with $3.25 million guaranteed, and he stands to make a further $11 million if he reaches incentives. Anderson is arriving in Arizona after throwing 10 ints in 8 games for the Browns, and is coming in as the number 2 QB, although he is expected to compete with Matt Leinart for the starting QB position.

Jake Delhomme has agreed to a 2 year contract with the Browns, which will pay him $7 million in the first year. Delhomme hasnt been annointed the starter in Cleveland, but is likely to be given the amount he has signed for. This amount of money is ridiculous considering he threw 18 interceptions in 11 games as a Panther last year.

After the Seattle Seahawks acquired Charlie Whitehurst from San Diego for a swap of second rounders in the 2010 draft and a third rounder in 2011, they proceeded to give him a two year, $10 million contract. Whitehurst was the third string QB in San Diego last year, behind Phillip Rivers and Billy Volek, but has never thrown a pass in the NFL. Yet he gets given $5 million a year.

Now granted these situations are different to Feeley, as all three players are being given a shot at starting. Feeley is expected to be a pure back up QB, either to Marc Bulger or to Sam Bradford (if drafted by the Rams and Bulger is let go).

That said, the amount given to these poor or unproven QBs shows that the Rams definitely didnt over pay by giving Feeley a relatively mere $6 million over two years.

(PS. not sure if this should be in Ram Talk, but i feel it could be. Please move the topic if it is better suited elsewhere)

Bing69 is offline Registered User

Re: For those who complained about the signing of A.J. Feeley...

I agree, its the going rate for a back-up! Would have liked to see Anderson giving a chance with us but oh well. On the subject of Bulger, i think hes gonna get another shot next season. If the guys didnt think he could do it then surely he would have been cut by now? The new guys arent afriad of getting rid of aging veterans, i.e Pace, Holt etc. Keeping this in mind, im hoping this means Spags n co are leaning toward Suh

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

If Despags start Bulger , and pass on a franchise QB again this draft, I think there future here becomes a topic for conversation, and not in a good way.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

It doesnt mean they wont select another QB in the later rounds, like Pike, McColt, LeFevour etc. I dont think they'll be that concerned about us bickering about their management, they're the ones in charge not us!! If fans had their way we'd end up like the Raiders

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

And those are only a few more added to an already existing list of examples, tomahawk. Whether it's Chris Redman, David Carr, Dan Orlovsky, Chris Simms, or even Trent Green in 2008, the market price has been set and the Rams paid it. I'm not saying everyone has to love the Feeley signing, but arguing that the Rams overpaid is simply contrary to the facts of back-up QB contracts over the last three years.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by dave626 View Post
    If Despags start Bulger , and pass on a franchise QB again this draft, I think there future here becomes a topic for conversation, and not in a good way.
    I doubt the Rams come out the draft without a QB. But they wont necessarily be taking someone like Sam Bradford in the first round. However, just because Bradford is talked about as a first round pick and potential first overall pick does not make him a franchise QB. That title can only be earned once he has played in the NFL for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And those are only a few more added to an already existing list of examples, tomahawk. Whether it's Chris Redman, David Carr, Dan Orlovsky, Chris Simms, or even Trent Green in 2008, the market price has been set and the Rams paid it. I'm not saying everyone has to love the Feeley signing, but arguing that the Rams overpaid is simply contrary to the facts of back-up QB contracts over the last three years.
    Definitely. While $3 million for a back up is a lot for some positions, the QB position is one where even the backups earn big bucks. Its just the way the NFL is.

One thing im glad is that we only spent the $3 million a year on Feeley, as i dont think the three guys i mentioned in the opening post of the topic are worth the money they are going to get.

One thing i am glad about is that the Rams werent hasty in getting rid of Marc Bulger. As despite the hefty contract and the battering he has taken over the last few years, he still is currently the best available option at QB for the Rams. This may change after the draft, but thats how it is.

Keenum is offline Registered User

We've seen over the past few years how important the backup QB role is. I think it was about two years ago, over half of the teams in the NFL had to go to their backup QB at some point during the season (I could be wrong, but I remember it was a higher amount than usual).
    Plus, it is an uncapped year... not sure just how much that is affecting things, but it has got to have a role in it.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    After the Seattle Seahawks acquired Charlie Whitehurst from San Diego.....they proceeded to give him a two year, $10 million contract. Whitehurst was the third string QB in San Diego last year, behind Phillip Rivers and Billy Volek, but has never thrown a pass in the NFL. Yet he gets given $5 million a year.

Keith Null must think he has it made right now!!

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    Keith Null must think he has it made right now!!
    Well yeah, he has thrown a TD in the NFL, he should be getting double what Whitehurst is!

helorm341 is offline Registered User

It seems that the Rams did judge the market well. The going rate for backup QBs seems to have shot up this off season. Jake Delhomme making over 7 million this season is just insane.

BEER is offline Registered User

We should have picked up Charley Whitehurst. < dont know if i spelled that right, but anyways I think the Seahawks hooked up.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    We should have picked up Charley Whitehurst. < dont know if i spelled that right, but anyways I think the Seahawks hooked up.
    We already have a good runningback

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Free agency to me seems to be more about depth or a quick fix. Feeley knows the offense , just like Bulger knows the offense in Martz' scheme and will likely end up there. La feaver(spelling) is what I like in the second maybe third round. Suh in one and an OT or WR in the second.Feeley will help out greatly if at the helm or with headphones.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think that a lot of the complaining pertained to feely as a backup at that price. I think the criticism pertained more to the perception that the rams were going to cut bulger and use feely as the starter. All of the money comparisons in this thread are appropriate when discussing backups, but as a starter, its obviously a different story.

If the rams draft bradford, that doesnt mean he will or should start on day one. I see zero evidence to suggest that feely can be a decent starter in this league. The fact that he knows the offense is nice. but so did gus ferrote and chris chandler.

Until the rams have an improved offensive line, i dont see any reason to put a rookie qb in the lineup and take an incremental injury and development risk. I dont see feely as a short term answer as a starter and that is my issue with the signing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast