Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: For those of you who want Martz back as OC...

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Re: For those of you who want Martz back as OC...

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13 View Post
    What a fine intelligent move it was for the Rams to get rid of a Champion like Kurt Warner. Hey fans, what did we get for him?
    maybe it wasnt the right time to get rid of him, but I know for sure he wasnt producing as he once was..I know he's doing good and this organization has done plenty of bad moves, but it was the right thing to do at the time...

...and if you disagree

anybody that has anything negative to say about Bulger needs to shut the hell up and let him BLOSSOM...lol

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    maybe it wasnt the right time to get rid of him, but I know for sure he wasnt producing as he once was..I know he's doing good and this organization has done plenty of bad moves, but it was the right thing to do at the time...

...and if you disagree

anybody that has anything negative to say about Bulger needs to shut the hell up and let him BLOSSOM...lol
    Well I disagree, but I don't blame Bulger for it. Wasn't Bulger's fault.

It all still gets back to the Rams getting rid of their two time MVP QB after only a handful of games started since he took them to the Super Bowl. He only started 8 games between Super Bowl XXXVI and being released.We're talking about 1/2 of a season worth of struggles, and he was only healthy for 3 of those starts. A couple of them he played with a broken throwing hand. Another, his last start as a Ram, with a conclusion.

It was impatience and a refusal to consider mitigating circumstances that led to his exit. Who gets rid of a hall of fame QB after only a handful of bad games??? Every great QB has gone through struggles at some point in their careers.

In any case, this is all ancient history now. I couldn't be happier for him, and I'm just glad at this point that the Rams were fortunate enough to have him when they did and to be such a large part of such an amazing, improbable piece of NFL history. Probably the single most amazing story in NFL history.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Personally, I'm glad Chip is proving to be nothing like his mother and I'm also happy that the Rams are finally moving forward from the past regime.

Having said that, I think it is time to look at Martz for what he truly was.

It took the Rams years to find a QB of Kurt Warner's stature and just a few more years to let it all dissolve away with the help of a self-destructive mad man named Mike Martz.

After today Kurt Warner is going back to the big game whereas Mike Martz is not even in the game.

Nothing could be more fitting.

PARamfan likes this.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    It took the Rams years to find a QB of Kurt Warner's stature and just a few more years to let it all dissolve away with the help of a self-destructive mad man named Mike Martz.

After today Kurt Warner is going back to the big game whereas Mike Martz is not even in the game.

Nothing could be more fitting.

Standing ovation here sir.

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Ferter, Not much to add to your fine and correct post. All we have left from Martz Savant is the ugly uniform and Bulger. Sadly, our 2 time MVP, Super Bowl Champ and Warrior has continued his championship play for another team while we languish in loserville.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

A few of you guys need to be objective. Kurt threw 3 TD passes and 12 interceptions that one season. His constant fumbling and ineffectiveness led many to believe he was finished. It certainly appeared that way, and in today's NFL, you don't wait around for three years to see if a guy can regain the magic he once had- just not gonna' happen. The Rams organization did the right thing at the time since Marc Bulger appeared to be a star on the rise. It is easy to blast the organization now since Kurt is back in the Super Bowl and Bulger has struggled as of late, but truth be told, the right decision was made when he was let go.

Let's also not forget that having Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Steve Breaston and Edgerrin James has helped Warner's resurgence.

I love Kurt Warner, and will never forget what he did for us. I'm also very happy he and Arizona beat the Eagles and their dirtbag fans. I'll be rooting for him in the Super Bowl. But let's not spoil what was a great weekend for the Rams with any mindless "we should have kept Kurt" blather.

laramsfan73 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Let's also not forget that having Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Steve Breaston and Edgerrin James has helped Warner's resurgence.
    He also had Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az-Zahir Hakim, and Marshall Faulk when he excelled in St. Louis. Surround a great quarterback with talent, and he will play great for you. Quarterbacks alone cannot carry a club.

RAMPAGE! is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laramsfan73 View Post
    He also had Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az-Zahir Hakim, and Marshall Faulk when he excelled in St. Louis. Surround a great quarterback with talent, and he will play great for you. Quarterbacks alone cannot carry a club.

Actually to play devils advocate I would say it's the o-line that has helped him out along with all the weapons. As we all know it doesnt matter who you have if you dont have a pocket to throw from. Just ask Tom Brady from a few years back, he had second level receivers around him with all day to throw and picked all opposing D's apart!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    A few of you guys need to be objective. Kurt threw 3 TD passes and 12 interceptions that one season. His constant fumbling and ineffectiveness led many to believe he was finished. It certainly appeared that way, and in today's NFL, you don't wait around for three years to see if a guy can regain the magic he once had- just not gonna' happen.
    It was actually 3 TD's and 11 INT's, but let's not quibble about that.

Instead let's quibble about this. It was over 6 games. 6 games! Two of which he played with a broken throwing hand.

I wouldn't have waited around for 3 full seasons of it either, but had the Broncos given up on Elway or the Packers on Favre during a bad 6 game stretch or even one bad full season, would it have been the right move???? Well, they certainly had their chances to do that.

I'm always amazed how so many people gave up on their two time MVP, Super Bowl QB after only a handful of games, especially given the circumstances surrounding them, and to this day can't seem to admit that was really stupid. I've never seen anything like it anywhere before. Marc Bulger has received far more patience and the benefit of the doubt through much more extended struggles than Kurt Warner ever did. Not Bulger's fault, but still....
    Last edited by HornIt; -01-19-2009 at 11:31 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Let the "I want Martz! ... I want Martz!" chant begin [gulp, not too many voices].

Just look in the i n t e n s i t y of Coach Spags' eyes. Bring in MM and we might just go back to scoring a lot of points, not as many as with the GSOT but likely to win more games. And I think Coach Madness has mellowed out too, learned a lesson of two, i.e., would be helpful to pull the Rams out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Let the "I want Martz! ... I want Martz!" chant begin [gulp, not too many voices].

Just look in the i n t e n s i t y of Coach Spags' eyes. Bring in MM and we might just go back to scoring a lot of points, not as many as with the GSOT but likely to win more games. And I think Coach Madness has mellowed out too, learned a lesson of two, i.e., would be helpful to pull the Rams out of the blue.
    Don't think we have to worry about Martz coming back with Spags. When asked about his football philosophy during his press conference, he said he wouldn't get into details about any offensive system, but he would say this.....he believes in running the football and protecting the QB. That's what they will do without putting any fancy system lables on it.

So that officially eliminates Martz from the discussion.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Fans that want Martz back scare me.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

blood85 is offline Registered User

hindsight is 2020

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

HornIt- I respect your opinion on this, but the Rams faced a tough decision since Bulger was emerging and they could not pay two guys the type of money each would have eventually commanded. At this time, Warner was a shell of what he once had been, and EVERYONE, including the so-called "experts" from Phil Simms to Troy Aikman to Joe Theismann (QB's who you'd think would have an educated view) felt Warner would not recover effectively from the thumb injury. His fumbles and interceptions became a liability- and the only ones who questioned getting rid of him were loyalists who hoped for a return to glory.

It is easy to say they made the wrong decision in light of Bulger's regression and Warner's re-emergence (remember, he kicked around in a back-up role for several years before his great season in '08). But I feel at the time it was a tough choice that the Rams had to make and based on his age and the belief that an already decent QB would get better, they kept Bulger.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Considering the misleading title, as well as the fact that there is another thread on this subject on the NFL board, I'm going to close this one down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12