bela is offline Registered User

Thought you all may appreciate some clarity...

Hey Rams fans, I see that there are a number of posts questioning what occurred at the end of the game yesterday. As such, I thought you all may appreciate seeing the actual rule.

You can download the NFL rulebook from Sando’s blog here: http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/medi...20RULEBOOK.pdf

If you go to page 32, you will see Rule 4, Article 3, Section10:

Quote Originally Posted by Rule 4, Section 3, Article 10

Action to Conserve Time

Article 10 A team is not permitted to conserve time inside of one minute of either half by committing any of the following acts: fouls by either team that prevent the snap (i.e., false start, encroachment, etc.), intentional grounding, an illegal forward pass thrown from beyond the line of scrimmage with the intent to conserve time, throwing a backward pass out of bounds with the intent to conserve time, and any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop.

Penalty: Loss of five yards unless a larger distance penalty is applicable. When actions referred to above are committed by the offensive team with the clock running, officials will run 10 seconds off the game clock before permitting the ball to be put in play on the ready for play signal. The clock will start on the ready for play signal. If the offensive team has timeouts remaining, it will have the option of using a timeout in lieu of a 10-second runoff. If the action is by the defense, the play clock will be reset to 40 seconds and the game clock will start on the ready signal. If the defense has time outs remaining, it will have the option of using a time out in lieu of the game clock being started. NOTE: There never can be a 10-second run off against the defensive team.
    Note that the rule specifically lists a series of fouls that would trigger a runoff. Illegal formation is not listed among them. However, there has been a lot of focus on whether a penalty is a live or dead ball foul. As you can see from the rule, whether a penalty is live or dead ball is irrelevant when determining whether to trigger the run off. Instead, what is important, is whether the act is done with the intent to stop the clock in a situation where the clock would not have otherwise stopped.

There is the catchall of “any other intentional foul that causes the clock to stop.” I don’t think that an illegal procedure is one of the fouls contemplated by the phrase. Rather, these catchalls are usually thrown in to address situations not specifically contemplated by the rulemakers but where said act was clearly done to circumvent the black letter rule and achieve the result the rule attempts to prevent.

I know this doesn’t help with the loss, but hopefully it will help put away some of the conspiracy stuff.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Thought you all may appreciate some clarity...

Thanks for the info. Yeah, we lost but that was a great game. Congrats to you and the Seahawks.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I hope Rams fans are not going to play the "conspiracy" card here. Its just silly. The Rams lost the game. It was a well-fought contest, and the Hawks deserved to come out on top.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I hope Rams fans are not going to play the "conspiracy" card here. Its just silly. The Rams lost the game. It was a well-fought contest, and the Hawks deserved to come out on top.
    Amen to this. Nothing is more embarrassing than to hear fans rationalize a loss because of some kind of intentional bias. Regardless of the run-off rule, we had our chance and let it slip away. We got beat, end of story.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams had played better football through the second half, they wouldn't be in a position where a confusing call at the end of the game could mean the difference between a win or loss. It sounds to me as if the rule was enforced correctly from a technical standpoint, however I wouldn't be shocked to see something like this reviewed by the competition committee just for clarity's sake. Either way, the Rams lost the game because of their own poor play and because of Seattle's ability to make plays when they mattered, not some obscure rule.