Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Thoughts about a Miracle

With about 1 minute and a half left on the clock today, this writer, along with every Rams fan, knew the Rams had blown a chance to get to 2-1 with a couple weak teams next on the schedule.

Yep, the Rams had bobbled away a chance to beat a quality division foe in their home stadium the instant Marc Bulger and Madison Hedgecock missed connections on the last play before the two minute warning.

Why try a play to a little used fullback, a run that would have been Hedgecock's first carry of the season, when basically running out the clock for a hard fought win? One could already hear the radio talk show callers going nuts over that play call by Scott Linehan.

For fans, it was a play very similar to one during the Rams early years in St. Louis. I can't even remember the guy involved, or the year even, just that it cost the Rams a win, and left the same feeling in my gut I felt today, when the game was lost, awaiting only a short Neil Rackers field goal to seal the Rams doom.

However, in my depressed state, I forgot something every long time St. Louis football fan should never forget. I had forgotten the "Cardinal Rule" of NFL football.

I had forgotten that when you look across the field, and the other team is the Cardinals, anything is possible when it comes to winning an unwinnable game.

In the end, a game that featured a nice duel between quarterbacks Marc Bulger and Kurt Warner, turned into an exchange of emotion crushing fumbles by those former teammates.

Both passers faced down heavy pass rushes, and absorbed some hits, and both struggled in the red zone, with Warner throwing two costly picks in the first half. However, each was able to get the ball enough to his best receivers to give their team a chance to win.

It was a game of long, time consuming drives, and questionable calls, one that took a touchdown away from the Rams, a game of challenges by both teams. It was a game of hard fought yardage in the running game by both teams, and short passes that were more like running plays.

But finally, it was a game that will be remembered for that miracle last two minutes, that almost saw the first "free kick" to win a game in a long long time. I remember one by the Bears Mac Percival back in 1968, when I was a freshman in college, but that's about it.

Then that 75-yard try by Rackers that Rams fans dreaded more than anything, seeing yet another emotional plummet still possible, never happened due to an offside penalty.

If the rest of the season is anything like Sunday's game, there may not be enough emotion left in my tank to even enjoy a playoff run.

The Rams won because of that turnover edge that Linehan seems obsessed about, with reams of past statistical evidence to support his philosophy.

Though the excitement and high risk of Mike Martz teams was fun, maybe the new Rams head coach has a clue after all about doing what it takes to win. Just don't do any more late handoffs to Hedgecock with the game still on the line, OK?

Barry Waller

Re: Thoughts about a Miracle

LOL, I hear you Barry and I second that.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

After seeing this game, We're in for a long ride. Our offense engine is running now, but not on full throttle. Bulger and Holt are getting there rythem down, Bruce also. What's more believable, is no ints by Bulger. Who would have thunk it. The play of our Defense has been tremendous.

MikeB1603 is offline Registered User

Great post Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    The Rams won because of that turnover edge that Linehan seems obsessed about, with reams of past statistical evidence to support his philosophy.

Though the excitement and high risk of Mike Martz teams was fun, maybe the new Rams head coach has a clue after all about doing what it takes to win. Just don't do any more late handoffs to Hedgecock with the game still on the line, OK?
    My exact thoughts as well.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

"Just don't do any more late handoffs to Hedgecock with the game still on the line, OK?"

It wasn't just that last play...too many times in crucial situations on crucial drives fisher got the call as well. I understand giving Jackson rest, but the timing is questionable some times.

And I agree, my nerves can't take much more of this.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    However, in my depressed state, I forgot something every long time St. Louis football fan should never forget. I had forgotten the "Cardinal Rule" of NFL football.

I had forgotten that when you look across the field, and the other team is the Cardinals, anything is possible when it comes to winning an unwinnable game.
    I love that quote! Now I don't hate the Cardinals, they're pathetic and have been so since as long as I can remember and I like it just that way. If the Cardinals were to win and become a successful team, for me it would be like if the earth's magnetic North Pole relocated to the equator, like gravity ceasing to exist. I need the Cardinals to be the pathetic losers that they are, may it remain so forever!

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

I must say that I was physically and emotionally tired after that game, I felt like I played it! But a win is a win and plus the whiners lost, so I had a happy birthday!!!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

If I had put money on AZ, I'd be checking with the bookies to see who KW was deep in debt to ... he had to have had a flashback when he threw that INT to Coakley ... there just wasn't anyone even in the vicinity of falling down. And then the fumble?

After the look he gave to his center he needs to say a few Hail Marys and Our Fathers to wash away that cheap attempt at passing the blame to his teammate.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

adarian...you crack me up with you theories and possibilities. Do you really think Warner is that kind of guy that would be unethical and in debt?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    adarian...you crack me up with you theories and possibilities. Do you really think Warner is that kind of guy that would be unethical and in debt?
    No...but his wife is! She was seen buying a fur coat the next day in downtown Phoenix!
    :O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RammieGirl View Post
    I must say that I was physically and emotionally tired after that game, I felt like I played it! But a win is a win and plus the whiners lost, so I had a happy birthday!!!
    Yeh, I felt the same. I was really out of it from that game. Just tooo much for me. Too many things that could've gone wrong, that thank Goodness it didn't..

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams