Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Barksdale

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Thoughts on Barksdale

Apparently, Fisher disagrees with the majority here, saying on his show yesterday that Saffold is going to get more reps as the season goes on. Whether that means The Rams FO will throw money at him after the season is, of course, another story.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Why are the Rams so pathetic at developing offensive linemen? Saffold is the only potential starter that the Rams have drafted and he won't be resigned after this season. Barksdale is the closest thing they have to a starter that they've developed. I think Barksdale is a lower level concern. I'd rather replace Dahl, Williams and Wells than Barksdale.
    If the Rams have the opportunity to draft one of the top tackles in this class, would you consider moving Barksdale inside to guard in order to replace one of the aforementioned players?

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Love Barksdale, he managed to slow down JJ Watt (albeit he had TE help) But I wouldn't hesitate the opportunity to draft Matthews. Still, I would like him to be a backup tackle, I know Jake Matthews has been a solid LT thus far so he can be a good backup LT incase Long goes down while Barksdale fills the RT spot. I hope drafting quality linemen is the priority this offseason. It's essential if we want to utilize 3-4 WR sets.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Randart View Post
    I like the points you guys make alot, sadly as I really liked Roger early on. But his foot work this season has been horrendous to put it mildly! So I actually like Barks more than Roger, moving forward love the idea of getting one of the top tackles in the draft and keeping Barks as our swing man. Add to that a good guard in the draft and it would really help solidify our line.

Hoping Barret Jones can be our future center, as he could be very special. Expect him to really work himself into a power guy in time he has so much skill imho. Hoping BJ can stay healthy and get his strength and conditioning to an elite level then we may really have something for a line in the future!
    Baaret looks shockingly soft. Like one of my great uncles soft. I wonder how much the scouting dept looked this kid over.
    Let the hype begin.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Baaret looks shockingly soft. Like one of my great uncles soft. I wonder how much the scouting dept looked this kid over.
    Oh really?

He provided good blocking (albeit it was college competition) I'm sure we're giving him the Marcus Lattimore treatment: giving him time to recover while acclimate his body into NFL shape. He has the smarts to adjust the line during certain audibles. There's a reason why he was the starting center for Alabama during those Saban-led championship runs.
    RealRam and RebelYell like this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post

[Barrett J.] provided good blocking (albeit it was college competition) I'm sure we're giving him the Marcus Lattimore treatment: giving him time to recover while acclimate his body into NFL shape. He has the smarts to adjust the line during certain audibles. There's a reason why he was the starting center for Alabama during those Saban-led championship runs.
    Right on! This kid is promising (for real promise).

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Barrett Jones started at guard at Alabama and won awards. During his first 2 years he started at LG, RG and RT. RG is probably his premier position.
    He then shifted to LT and won awards his junior season. He was first team all SEC as a LT. He also won the Outland trophy as best offensive linemen in the country.
    He then shifted to center and was pretty good but it was the weakest of his positions I'd say. The first season EVER playing center, he again won the Outland Trophy as the best Center in the country.

Jones as I recall was listed as an All-American at RG, C and LT. Each of the national championships at Alabama that he won - he was playing a different position.

I have no idea how anyone could look at Jones and say he's soft. Louis Nix of Notre Dame was listed as one of the most dominant NTs in the country last year and will be a first round draft pick this year. Jones handled him almost exclusively the entire game even while playing through a serious foot injury.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Barrett Jones started at guard at Alabama and won awards. During his first 2 years he started at LG, RG and RT. RG is probably his premier position.
    He then shifted to LT and won awards his junior season. He was first team all SEC as a LT. He also won the Outland trophy as best offensive linemen in the country.
    He then shifted to center and was pretty good but it was the weakest of his positions I'd say. The first season EVER playing center, he again won the Outland Trophy as the best Center in the country.

Jones as I recall was listed as an All-American at RG, C and LT. Each of the national championships at Alabama that he won - he was playing a different position.

I have no idea how anyone could look at Jones and say he's soft. Louis Nix of Notre Dame was listed as one of the most dominant NTs in the country last year and will be a first round draft pick this year. Jones handled him almost exclusively the entire game even while playing through a serious foot injury.

Don't think about it, just say it! it's really very easy that way.

Really though, he hasn't played in a game yet for us. How could anyone have ANY idea how he'll play at the NFL level yet?!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If the Rams have the opportunity to draft one of the top tackles in this class, would you consider moving Barksdale inside to guard in order to replace one of the aforementioned players?
    You have to be quick on your feet to play guard and get to the second level as a pulling guard. Doesn't appear Barksdale is exceptionally fast in that way. I don't think he ever played an interior spot at LSU.

I think with Barksdale we need to ignore where he was drafted (or not drafted) and just come to an evaluation on his play. His play isn't that bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12