Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jquarando is offline Registered User

Thoughts on Cam Cameron

Read an article saying Parcells may go to Miami. If he goes there and takes over as head coach should the rams pursue Cam to run our offense? The man made LT into a monstar but could he do it for SJAX? We also have far superior wideouts than he did in San Diego and a descent tight end to work into the mix. Just looking for some thoughts on this.
    Parcells spurns Falcons, close to deal with Dolphins

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 19, 2007, 6:10 PM ET

Parcells Not Headed to Atlanta, Miami Deal Possible

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Bill Parcells will not be joining the Atlanta Falcons as head of football operations.

Parcells turned down the position, Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Wednesday in a statement. Blank said the team had an agreement in principle with Parcells, but after he told the Falcons he was considering an similar offer from the Miami Dolphins, negotiations fell through.

Parcells is almost certain to land in Miami after Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga sent word Wednesday to Parcells that he has decided not to sell the team, sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Len Pasquarelli.

Parcells has a four-year agreement in place to become the Dolphins vice president of football operations -- the identical role he had negotiated with Falcons owner Arthur Blank, a Dolphins source said. Parcells is expected to sign a contract in the next 48 hours, and sources say it unlikely to fall through as it did with the Falcons.

The Dolphins and Parcells had dialogue almost two weeks ago about the job, but the deal was put on ice when Huizenga seriously entertained offers for the sale of his franchise, sources said. Huizenga has assured Parcells that he will remain in control of the team, according to a Dolphins official. That was the dramatic development that altered his course with Atlanta.

"We gave it our best shot, and it didn't work out. We will continue down the same overall path, proceeding with plans to hire a general manager and a head coach. We will identify and consider every strongly viable candidate for these positions, with the goal of hiring the best," Blank said, according to a statement.

Parcells, an ESPN NFL analyst, was considering an offer to join the team's front office as vice president of football operations, a role that would put him in charge of finding the next coach for a team rocked by the suspension and imprisonment of Michael Vick and the sudden resignation of Bobby Petrino.

The announcement that talks broke down with Parcells leaves the makeup of the Falcons' front office, and their search for a replacement for Petrino, in question.

Pasquarelli: Hot on the trail

This wasn't the first time the Atlanta Falcons and Bill Parcells danced. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli recalls the other time, which ended the same way. Story

The announcement was a far cry from earlier Wednesday, when Parcells told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that he was leaning toward accepting the Falcons' offer.

"I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. [Owner] Arthur [Blank] and I have had some pretty constructive discussions. I basically will oversee the football operations. We'll meet today -- not in Atlanta -- and work out some of the final details but I don't think there's any deal breakers here," Parcells said earlier.

According to the statement, Rich McKay will remain president of the club and will retain general manager responsibilities until a new GM is hired.

Blank added that the Falcons remain committed to "looking at every option for building a championship-caliber team for our fans.

"I have stated we will leave no stone unturned in doing so, and this effort is one example of that," Blank said.

The courtship with Parcells may have no real effect on the team's search for a new coach. The Falcons are expected to wait at least until the end of the regular season to begin serious talks with candidates.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined comment to The Associated Press, saying the organization does not discuss rumors.

"Really?" defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday said when told by The AP about Parcells' apparent interest in the Dolphins. "You can't control it. But somebody like the Big Tuna, regardless of who's in the front office or who's not, brings a lot of respect and a lot of credibility with him. He's a Hall of Famer. If you're a free agent out there, that might draw you in."

Parcells is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The story broke as many Dolphins were playing cards and dominoes in the locker room after practice, and instantly, many of them began turning heads toward the televisions scattered about the room.

It didn't take long for even the mere mention of Parcells to create a buzz in Miami.

"I have a lot of respect for what he's been able to do in other places and I'd expect, if he did come in here, for him to do the same," Holliday said. "I don't know what's going to happen upstairs. I have no idea. I have a lot of respect for [GM] Randy Mueller, as well. But my interest is in what's best for this team and getting us in the right direction."

ESPN.com senior NFL writer Len Pasquarelli and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -12-19-2007 at 08:55 PM.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Thoughts on Cam Cameron

Well first of all, Parcells isn't going there to take over as a coach, but to the be Vice President of football operations. Not knocking the idea though. IMHO I'm pretty sure that he will be gone next year, so as far as him running the offense, I say why not...It can't really be worse than this year with the play calling, and he does have a strong history as an OC. I'd be all for giving him a shot.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Not knocking the idea though. IMHO I'm pretty sure that he will be gone next year, so as far as him running the offense, I say why not...It can't really be worse than this year with the play calling, and he does have a strong history as an OC. I'd be all for giving him a shot.
    Atlanta, I assume you're referring to Coach Cameron here, yes? If so, I agree; I too would like to give him a shot for OC.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Do we even have the $$$$ to sign Cameron???

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Oh, big no. He's almost Linehan's stunt double, without the injury decimation.

Though, Ronnnie Brown was GREAT earlier this year.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The talk is that Parcells is going to Miami to become the VP of Football Operations, not to replace Cameron. So it's kind of a moot point.

jquarando is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The talk is that Parcells is going to Miami to become the VP of Football Operations, not to replace Cameron. So it's kind of a moot point.

I knew i should have put my if in caps lock. My goal was to try and get some interesting conversation, not talk about reality.

Rambos is online now Registered User

The talk is that Parcells is going to Miami to become the VP of Football Operations, not to replace Cameron. So it's kind of a moot point
    Bill is going in and cleanning house. He will hire a new coaching staff, so Cameron might be an option.

itsguud is offline Registered User

CC will be gone from Miami Jan. 5th!

I would love to have him as OC, but we'd need Losehan to be gone and for a guy who actually has a clue to HC for CC to get anything through.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Bill is going in and cleanning house. He will hire a new coaching staff, so Cameron might be an option.
    There's always the possibility that Parcells gets in there and decides a new coach is the way to go, but frankly I think he'll keep Cameron for at least another year. The fact that Cameron comes from a 3-4 team and is using that scheme in Miami will be a plus in the Parcells column. At this point I think Bill's biggest goal will be a turnaround in player personnel. Never say never, though.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's always the possibility that Parcells gets in there and decides a new coach is the way to go, but frankly I think he'll keep Cameron for at least another year. The fact that Cameron comes from a 3-4 team and is using that scheme in Miami will be a plus in the Parcells column. At this point I think Bill's biggest goal will be a turnaround in player personnel. Never say never, though.
    Are you sure that he's using the 3-4? I watched the last part of Miami's win against Bal. and it looked to me that they were in the regular 4-3. I did see Jason Taylor in the game and I know he's pretty much a 4-3 rush end, similar to Leonard Little. Sigh, now that Parcells is there in Miami watch out for 'ol Bill going defense with his first pick. This might definitely impact who is available for the Rams.

WHAT SAY YE?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Bill going defense with his first pick. This might definitely impact who is available for the Rams.
    Good point.. he may try and trade out they need more then one guy.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Good point.. he may try and trade out they need more then one guy.
    Do you think there's much of a chance that Parcells would take Chris Long with the first pick of the draft? Don't know if Mr. Long would be rated that high; but he looks to be a Parcells kind of player.

WHAT SAY YE?

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Do you think there's much of a chance that Parcells would take Chris Long with the first pick of the draft? Don't know if Mr. Long would be rated that high; but he looks to be a Parcells kind of player.

WHAT SAY YE?

Sure hope not! :O

Now that BP is VP in Miami I'm hoping that his first priority will be on offense. In fact, there's even a chance of first and second picks to go offense. [...Phish, Whiners, Falcnots, just leave Chris Long alone -- he's ours!]

Still thinking Cameron might be available in 08.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well... Cam Cameron was a moron for trying and then getting Trent Green, but as we already have a QB, and we won't let Cameron touch personnel, I'm all for getting him as an OC if he's available.

I'd put up 50/50 odds, as he's only been there one year, but oh what a year...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-07-2008, 12:05 AM