Thread: Thoughts on D

chiguy is offline Registered User

Thoughts on D

We need more talent on the defensive side of the ball, no doubt. But I've seen some Rams fans acting like it would be terrible to add talent on the offensive side. Pretending like the O doesn't need help too would be disastrous, IMO. Plus, our defense could potentially improve without adding any players for three basic reasons:

1. There are a lot of young players on defense, so there is room for improvement that comes simply from experience and better decision making.

2. A simpler, more aggressive scheme would be a better fit for the talent already on the roster. I'm not a fan of overly complex defensive schemes like Marmie's. Neither were the players apparently.

3. A more balanced offense. One of the reasons our defense stunk was because our offense played so little ball control, even when it had a lead.

I'm not suggesting we don't need defensive players -- we absolutely need linemen, a couple of safeties, and linebackers. We especially need to build up depth. But that doesn't mean we should ignore probelms on the other side of the ball too.

That said, I'll freak if we take TE in the first round.

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Thoughts on D

Defense. Got none. Need some.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Good points chiguy.

We desperately need a TE. Daft one, and sign a solid vet.

The O-line needs good depth too.

I'd like to see a vet QB brought in for back up.

Marshall needs to be convinced to return, he's got too mush left too retire.

Adding a LB and a good pass rusher, resign Pickett.

Need a solid vet safety, maybe 2 if Arch leaves.

:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Rambos is offline Registered User

Linehan is creative in the passing game, so much that Culpepper openly
    acknowledged a drop-off in his QB performance when Linehan left the Vikings to
    go to Miami. But Linehan is no one-dimensional pass master. He likes to rely on
    the Joe Gibbs system of offense, which includes powering up with two tight endsin a dedicated mission to run the football.
    We need a good TE.

Douggy is offline Registered User

We have quite a bit of cap room, so I can pretty much guarantee that we'll land a big name free agent, hopefully Steve Hutchinson. The GSOT offense never had a great TE, just a dominant O-line. I want the O-line to dominate, much like the current Chiefs, and the mid 90's Cowboys. Signing Hutchinson would be amazing in my opinion, because if the O can stay on the field longer, the D will not be as big a factor. I say sign Hutchinson (or at least make a huge offer), and focus the draft mainly on defense.