Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Thoughts on Jared Cook vs Danny Amendola

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Thoughts on Jared Cook vs Danny Amendola

First off, I don't know the precise role Fish envisions for Jared Cook, but it has been put forth that Jared may man the slot role at times. If so, it could make things interesting.

Jared Cook: 6'-5" 248 lbs 4.49 forty at the combine

Danny Amendola: 5'-10" 185 lbs 4.68 forty at the combine

Sure we are all aware of the size/speed disparity, but could it be Fish and Schotty envision a different role for Jared as a “slot” guy. Cook may not be known as a devastating blocker, but he is a big guy, and he is fast –very fast for his size. From the slot position Cook could be a dangerous blocker on running downs. He is going to create matchup problems against safeties and linebackers not only as a receiver, but also as a blocker. I loved Danny Amendola (past tense because he is a Patsie now), but I think it is safe to say not many opposing linebackers or safeties lost sleep over being blindsided by Danny.

Danny was never a true deep threat as a receiver, quick and elusive yes, but he didn’t have the long speed required to be considered a homerun threat. Jared Cook on the other hand, not only has a huge height and weight advantage, he also has 10.25 inch hands, a 41 inch vertical leap, and homerun speed. Is it possible the Rams will use Cookie to pound away on opposing linebackers and safeties regularly from the slot, and later on when they are starting to flinch, slip behind them and use that speed as a receiver? I am really curious as to his perceived role by Jeff and Schotty. Thoughts?
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Thoughts on Jared Cook vs Danny Amendola

I think Cook's known as a "yards after the catch guy".

I remember a few instances where they threw long to Danny. I don't however, remember any completions. Just the wrecks that occured after the attempts.
    The break, don't bend offense.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Having Cook is ideal for creating mismatches. If the defense isn't in nickel formation, we could utilize Cook as a receiver and throw defenses off. Although he doesn't shine in blocking skills, he's adequate enough to do so while we make Kendricks a viable receiver. With Amendola, we'd usually be running the 3-WR set and defenses would adjust to the nickel formation easily. With Cook, we can utilize 2-TE sets, which would keep defenses thinking what they should do.

Overall, I like how our offense is shaping up. We're forcing opposing defenses to adjust with what we're throwing at them rather than somewhat forcing what they're throwing at us.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'll go with Cook in Round 1 by knockout.
    MauiRam likes this.

McRam is offline Registered User

I haven't seen enough of Cook, but my impressions are as follows: he poses more of a deep threat, has better physical attributes, and seems less injury prone. Not really overly concerned about his run-blocking cause I think general strengthening of the O-line through the draft and addition of Long will open up more running lanes than we've had in previous seasons.

However, I'm not sure he'll be as much of a go-to guy for Bradford as Amendola was, I don't think his hands are as good as Amendola's. Amendola had great hands, and was heavily relied upon by Bradford for short underneaths. Can Jared Cook be that 3rd down guy? I'm not sure, but I hope Austin falls to 16 and then we've potentially got 2 guys lining up in the slot creating serious headaches for opposing LB's.

Edit to add: I still think we've paid way too much.
    RockinRam and Haste like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by McRam View Post
    However, I'm not sure he'll be as much of a go-to guy for Bradford as Amendola was, I don't think his hands are as good as Amendola's. Amendola had great hands, and was heavily relied upon by Bradford for short underneaths. Can Jared Cook be that 3rd down guy?
    For sure Danny was Sam's security blanket when D.A. was healthy enough to play. Time will tell if Cook can fill the void left by Danny's absence. Coach Fisher has commented on Cookie's hands as being huge with the ability to snatch the ball easily. As far as us getting Austin goes, we don't have too much longer to wait - it will be interesting to see where Tavon is drafted .. top ten, top fifteen, top twenty ??

Welcome to ClanRam !! Another Scotchman are ye? Would you be an acquaintance of Mr Dez?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Here's what Cook had to say today.... looks like all the boys are working out with Sammy!

101ESPN.com: Audio Player - Jared Cook
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-08-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    MauiRam and r8rh8rmike like this.

McRam is offline Registered User

Thanks! I can honestly say I've never had the privilege of meeting the founder, I stumbled across this page looking for a good Rams forum to join and the name caught my eye.

Been a Rams fan since I was in 1st year of high school. Had a Jesuit priest from Rockhurst High in Kansas City visit our school when I was 13. He ended up taking my maths class for a term. I loved football but didn't have a team, and he was Rams daft, it rubbed off on me, so here I am. The year was 1998, and the GSOT was just around the corner...

Things have obviously been pretty lean since then, but I've kept the faith. Went down to London for my first ever game of football last year only to see them have their pants pulled down by the Pats, but still loved every second of it despite them taking a pasting. Thinking of going to the Steelers Vikings game this year, although I've got a friend who's a Jags fan so I might go and boo the Niners instead.
    live4ramin, MauiRam, Varg6 and 2 others like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Cook has superior potential.
    Amendola has actually put it together and put up great stats on the field.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Cook has superior potential.
    Amendola has actually put it together and put up great stats on the field.
    Good points. Amendola has maximized his potential through sheer drive and determination, Cook, for whatever reason, has not. If he can get his act together, the sky's the limit. He's a WR in a TE's body, and with the ability to set up on the end of the line, in the slot, or even outside the numbers, he can wreak havoc with opposing defenses as an X factor.

I hope the change of scenery motivates him to reach his potential, and I can't wait to see him in action.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Seems like a page from the New England Patriots offense?
    Rambos likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

If Jared Cook can give us what Jimmy Graham gives the Saints, then I will be very happy with the acquisition.

Go Rams!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Cook didn't have much of a QB throwing to him in Nashville. Bradford will make that a little easier.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Cook didn't have much of a QB throwing to him in Nashville. Bradford will make that a little easier.
    Not only that but he'll likely have better blocking and I think Sam will make catching passes a LOT easier!

Go Rams!

Rambos is online now Registered User

Jared Cook vs Danny Amendola:

Amendola was a huge part of the Rams offense, he was the go to guy. He was the first option for Bradford. DA was targeted 101 times in 11 games, in one game he played hurt and only played a series or two. It's fair to say he was targeted 10 times a game.

Cook:

Not knowing much about Cook until he became a Ram. It's clear to me he started slow in his first two years. It's also clear they did not use him.

10/10/12
    By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

Jared Cook sounds miserable.

A question from Chad Withrow about whether Cook has an open dialogue with coaches about his role that Cook responded to with seven seconds of silence as he considered his reply. It could have been longer. I was so uncomfortable with the awkward silence that I tried to throw him a lifeboat and said, “That sounds like a no.”

Finally, Cook said: “I think they’ve talked about it. There haven’t been any moves made. You can see it on film, but that’s as far -- I put my work on film. You can see my production on film. I guess I don’t know how to answer that question, really, without kind of throwing somebody under the bus. So I’m just going to leave it at that.”

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said after the loss at Minnesota that he thought Cook needed to be more involved sooner. Offensive coordinator Chris Palmer told the local press Tuesday afternoon that he should have gotten the ball to Cook earlier against the Vikings and intends to do so going forward.
    You can read similar reports about the lack of effort on the Titans coaching staff to get Cook more involved in the game plan.

Cook was targeted about half as much as DA was last year. When Cook is interviewed he refers to how the Rams plan to use him and he seems to be excited about it. Cook has not lived up to his skill sets, but that has more to do with the Titans then Cook.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-09-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast