Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Thoughts from Section 113

So I'm back from the Ed, flew back home this afternoon. Talk about an amazing game! Kind of strange that the last game I attended was Martz's final game coaching the Rams against Seattle, and here I am back to see his return. Anyways, some thought from Section 113...

-Got to the Dome around 1pm CST. Stood along the gated walkway at the Drury to see if anyone would come out. Sure enough, just like my first visit to St. Louis, Torry Holt comes strolling out to loud cheers from the fans. He waves to the fans and has his normal big grin. As he approaches the Dome he spots a woman with a poster board sign with Big Game comments on it. Torry takes a moment to take a photo with her, and signs for a few kids before heading in. Great guy, really upbeat and fan friendly, and what a great way to start off the day.

-That's it. I don't want to hear about it any more. Marc Bulger came through for the second week in a row with an excellent outting and shows he has what it takes to excel without Martz pulling the strings. Neither Detroit nor Arizona are powerhouse defenses, but you'd expect good quarterbacks to have great days against these kind of units, and he did. I hope the people calling for the Rams to move him or bench him step up to the table and eat their plate of humble pie. Like any other QB, Marc will have his bad days. But he's shown he can play. The least he deserves now is our support.

-Steven Jackson had a solid game, especially as a receiver. I can't tell you how pumped his hurdle over one of the Lions defenders got the crowd, which for the Dome I thought was fairly spirited. However, earlier in the game, Jackson had me pretty disappointed. First and goal from the one, and the Rams can't punch it in. Same on second down. Jackson seemed more interested in walking into the endzone than lowering his shoulder and powering it in. It's nice to be able to get those walk-ins like the one he had later in the game, but sometimes you've just got to get low and pound someone.

-The receivers were for the large part on the money this game. I think I saw maybe one or two passes that Bulger threw where either Holt or Bruce didn't realize the ball was coming. But for the vast majority of the game, these guys were on top of things. Holt made an amazing catch and run across the middle of the field, dodging and weaving between defenders. So much for catching it and just going down, eh? These guys are still one of the best duos in the league, and Curtis was spot on when his number was called as well.

-How pumped am I that I got to see my boy Joe Klopfenstein's first career touchdown pass? What a great play. The middle of the field was wide open for a perfect strike from Marc to Joe. That's the kind of play we need to see more of in the red zone, especially from 10-20 yards out where there's still room to kind of stretch the field and find some solid holes.

-Even without Pace, I was pleasantly surprised by the line. They had their share of mistakes, but when you're missing your All Pro left tackle that's to be expected. The pocket collapsed a few times, but Bulger showed excellent awareness of his surroundings, stepping up to avoid trouble and even taking off on a great run (immobile my ass) that got called back because of a hold. Run blocking still left something to be desired in terms of consistency, but that should improve once we get a clear line-up in order. We're a pair of guards away from having a pretty good line, as I think we should keep Richie at center since he'll already be spending the entire year there.

-Defensively, this game was a bit of a let down. The Rams still forced their share of turnovers - two interceptions and a fumble. But they gave up quite a few yards and points. That's not surprising really, because when you think back to the Denver game, the Broncos turned the ball over a good bit but were still able to move the ball.

-The problem as I saw it is that we brought a fair share of pressure with the blitz but a lot of times just couldn't get there in time, leaving our corners stuck in man to man coverage against fairly talented receivers. I like that we're being aggressive, but we need to do a better job being successful with that pressure.

-Will Witherspoon once again showed why he brought big money when he came to the Rams. This guy can play, and seems to be having few problems transitioning to the middle! If Rams fans felt they needed a defensive leader of this team, I think we found one. Witherspoon sets the tempo - he's always around the ball, always making plays.

-Travis Fisher seemingly had another rough outting when covering Roy Williams, but then again, so did Fahkir Brown whenever I watched him trying to hold down #11. It's easy for fans to blame players when things don't go right, but sometimes you've just got to give it up to the talent on the other side of the ball. Between Williams, Anquan Boldin, and Larry Fitzgerald, the Rams have seen their share of talented receivers the last two games.

-Speaking of secondary performances, I was very impressed by OJ Atogwe's interception. The kid looks like he's coming along and shows good instincts in coverage. I've kept free safety on the list of potential needs for the Rams simply because Atogwe hasn't proven himself yet, but if he keeps playing like this, then I'll be ready to lock him up in that spot.

-Special teams, ugh. Not entirely impressed by our coverages. Drummond had a long return of 65 and an average of 35, but I'm not entirely convinced the average was inflated from that one return. Watching from the side, it looked as if Drummond was very capable of breaking a couple of those open, and gained his share of yards. That being said, for the love of God keep Tye Hill on special teams coverages. That guy could run down a lightning bolt.

-After the game, we went to the End Zone Club entrance close to the B entrance and near the Drury, simply because that's where we expected some bigger name players to come out. We were right. We'd brought two WVU hats to the game - one to give to Bulger and one for him to sign. We ran into Gus Frerotte and told him we were from WV and asked if he'd give Bulger his hat. Gus ratted his fellow QB out and said Marc would be out in a few minutes. We waited and saw Andy McCollum, whose knee was heavily wrapped and braced. Wished him well and a speedy recovery so we could get him back on that line. About 15-20 minutes later, Bulger comes out another side door a few feet away from where everyone was waiting. We jumped into action. Marc was walking rather quickly away from the Dome toward the Drury, signing autographs as he walked. We flanked him on the left and told him we'd come all the way from Morgantown to see the Rams. That stopped him in his tracks. "Really?" he said. We told him we brought him a Mountaineers hat ("Thanks!") and asked if he'd sign our's for us. He said of course he would, stood there, and took the time to sign the hat. I asked him when he'd be coming back in town, and he said probably to see his sister play. Told him we'd save him a seat in the student section for the game and he laughed then started back up for the hotel. Classy guy, real approachable and down to earth.

-Oh, and a special shout out to my best bud Chris and his Bears for stomping on Seattle last night. What a freakin' great game, and a nice way to end the night after the Rams game. Sitting in the Dome I kept thinking to myself, "Well the Cardinals and Whiners both got beaten, how great would it be if the Rams were the only NFC West team to win this weekend?" Sure enough, Chicago came through when we needed some help from the other NFC teams. Now the Rams and the Seahawks are both sitting at 3-1, and the Rams have a shot to make it 4-1 if they can travel to Green Bay and put the hurt on Brett Favre. The Packers aren't a team that the Rams should overlook, though it would be easy to do so with Seattle just around the corner. Hopefully the last two games have really helped this team get some good momentum which they can carry over into the next two contests. Being 4-2 (or even 5-1) going into the bye week would be huge for this team.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Thoughts from Section 113

Cool stuff Nick and I am totally jealous!! You choose a hell of a game to attend

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Too bad I get to go to Lambaeu

Great insight nick!

Yea, I loved that play where Jackson hurdled Dre Bly, I went Crazy!. I also loved that play where Little hurdled Kevin Jones, too bad he didnt get to the QB in time!
    RamsFan16

bigredman is offline Registered User

Never been one to chase athletes down for autographs. Once you see them naked in the locker room shower bending to pick up a bar of soap they dropped, they kind of lose their glossy allure!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Never been one to chase athletes down for autographs. Once you see them naked in the locker room shower bending to pick up a bar of soap they dropped, they kind of lose their glossy allure!
    There's a story here that no one should ever be exposed to. Ever. In life.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We flanked him on the left and told him we'd come all the way from Morgantown to see the Rams. That stopped him in his tracks. "Really?" he said. We told him we brought him a Mountaineers hat ("Thanks!")
    Imagine my surprise when I checked out the Bulger interview vid and he wasn't wearing the WV hat you guys gave him. What's up with that!?

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Hey Nick --All the Rams players have always been cool to be around. I especially love Bruce. He is a class act. As for the game. I only saw the main highlights- So i am looking forward to the game being one of the NFL Replay games on Tuesday.
    We really came out firing and Bulger was just awesome. He deserves a huge high five. Especially when our defense was not as good as it have been.
    Given all that it was a great outing--Green Bay should be a win. And Seattle will be a real test for all the three elements on this team. Momentum is here.
    But the ***** game is still killing me--Especially seeing the Chiefs tear them apart. Oh well we will get them at home and end this streak.
    THE FIELD GOAL

pdawg is offline Registered User

I have to see this game. I found a NFL torrent site that has alot of games from evey week and it has this game. Can't wait to watch it!!

moklerman is offline Registered User

Nice thoughts, Nick. This game, for me, has got me believing a little. The 1st quarter of the year, acclimating to a new coach/system doldrums seem to be subsiding and the offense is looking like what we all have envisioned and hoped for.

Bulger needs to work on...doing what he's been doing. Linehan has him playing his best ball ever and I think he's finally going to be completely out of certain shadows by the end of the year. 5 td's and 0 int's to start the year is simply great. That's always been the biggest drawback to Martz's system and Bulger's game, the obigatory interception. The Rams aren't quite good enough yet to dominate teams so every little thing is going to make a difference in close games.

It took Miami quite a bit of time to come around last year but it looks like the Rams might be hitting their stride about four games earlier than the 'Fins of 2005. Seattle's hurting, San Francisco's still San Francisco and the Cardinals are the football equivelant of the Titanic right now. A lot can happen but the Rams are in great shape at the quarter mark and things are looking up. Who'd a thunk it?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    There's a story here that no one should ever be exposed to. Ever. In life.
    There's a LOT of things in that story that should never be exposed.

Hmm, wait a minute....if Big Red were in the same vacinity as naked shower-dwelling athletes, does that mean that he too was na...nak...nake.....RAAAAAAALPH !!!!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Nice stuff Nick, also was watching SJ on the one, just does not get low and use his power to blow it up. I'm not sure why, if he get low he's good for 2 plus every time.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I was at the game also section 139 row b. Like Nick my uncle and I caught a few of the players before the game. The most memorable however was Jim Haslett. My Uncle(Larry) is 69 years old and not that familiar with the Rams coaching staff. So as Haslett is walking through Larry asks me who's that. I tell him it's Haslett. What's his first name Larry asks ? I tell him Jim. Larry proceeds to call out to Jim asking him to sign his white POW shirt. Haslett comes right over and says to Larry your to old for this **** !(exact words) But does sign the shirt. Haslett left us speechless, Laughing our asses off.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

whats that torrent site with all the nfl games i gotta watch this one
    Torry Holt Dont play that

pdawg is offline Registered User

The website is forums.tenyardtorrents.com You have to register first. Nice site, they have games from every week. Tons of seeders too so download was pretty fast.