Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Thoughts on Tonight's Game

Quote Originally Posted by gap
    Shouldn't Martz be finding ways to take advantage of the other teams excessive blitzing? I mean; that's his job!! If he can do that, the other teams will cut back on the constant blitzing, and maybe Bulger can get rid of that deer-in-the-headlights look.
    I think it's hard to just adjust to a team that's basically running your offense on the other side of the ball. It's like with the Barber interception. You could see him eyeing Arlen Harris before the snap, and that's probably because the Chiefs and the Rams run similar offenses, and he knew what the hot route was. I can't say after being whopped by the Chiefs I'm convinced this offense would be as vulnerable to most of the other teams in the league. But I guess we'll find out on Friday.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It was a preseason game that saw the Chiefs first defense blitz twelve times. I'm sure the Rams didn't scheme for the Chiefs blitz.

Anyway, it's preseason. I'm not going to take anything good or bad from this other than Fisher. That's a big blow. Anyone know how long he's out?

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I can't say after being whopped by the Chiefs I'm convinced this offense would be as vulnerable to most of the other teams in the league. But I guess we'll find out on Friday.
    Familiarity breeds contempt. OK, so the Bears and the Chiefs know the Rams schemes. One of the hallmarks of the Rams' teams in the recent past was the ability to dare other teams to blitz and then take names after the teams did blitz. They no longer are making teams pay for loading up the box. In fact the adjustment sMartz made was to strengthen protection by keeping more in - which incidently hasn't made anyone pay because receivers are rarely getting open. You'd think by hot-routing the TE once in a while, sMartz could force Ds from blitzing LBs right and left ... but I guess a TE isn't very glamorous in the receiving department.

In fact the adjustment sMartz hasn't made is to face the facts it is long past time to change how he manages the game. Other teams studied his schemes and "magic motion offense" and aren't misdirected any longer. It isn't just that KC "knows" the O (hell, DV has been gone 4 years, you'd think sMartz would be different by now ... but what KC showed is that they took advantage that sMartz hasn't changed).

The problem in a nutshell? First, he insists on a complicated playbook that almost everyone agrees takes at least a year to master. Second, his plays involve learning all sorts of motion. Then he takes his sweet ass time in calling in some long-winded play. By the time the QB has the play, the clock is ticking down and the QB is still waiting for people to set themselves if they even know where they are supposed to be. Although Michaels observed that MB was trying to check out of the play called just before a penalty/TO was called, QBs couldn't audible in the sMartz' system previously, and I'd be curious to know if sMartz has opened that up finally. But even if he has, the hesitation in getting in a play, the complexity in setting the play all factor against any QB being able to audible out of something in time.

SMartz wants to establish a flow to his offense? How about starting with stop fiddling around with getting the play in and let the O have enough time to filter it and audible out if necessary?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

1. It's preseason. Most teams don't scheme to the other team.

2. It's preseason. Since when have the Rams showed their hand ever in preseason?

3. I think the offense will look better when Curtis and McDonald are out there as WR's than Furry and Looker.

4. When Pace comes back and Williams moves to Turley's position, the O line gets immediately better.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

One of the things that really stood out in my mind. We did not come to play Super Bowl 2. Mike Martz vs. Dick Vermeil.

The Chiefs came to play like it was the playoffs, where our vanilla offense and lack luster defense (that Martz is so noted for in the preseason) came to do walk throughs. This game reminds me of 2000 preseason game against the Titians, when Jeff Fisher wanted his revenge. Vermeil I think was making statement after the Ron Dayne show last week and that's all.

I think we will see a different team come Friday. If not we are going to be in for a LOOONNNGGGG season.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -08-24-2004 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    The problem in a nutshell? First, he insists on a complicated playbook that almost everyone agrees takes at least a year to master. Second, his plays involve learning all sorts of motion. Then he takes his sweet ass time in calling in some long-winded play. By the time the QB has the play, the clock is ticking down and the QB is still waiting for people to set themselves if they even know where they are supposed to be. Although Michaels observed that MB was trying to check out of the play called just before a penalty/TO was called, QBs couldn't audible in the sMartz' system previously, and I'd be curious to know if sMartz has opened that up finally. But even if he has, the hesitation in getting in a play, the complexity in setting the play all factor against any QB being able to audible out of something in time.
    Adarian, I think this is a very good point. You can't expect your QB to audible out of the play at the line when you spend 90% of the playclock motioning into your formation. If Martz expects his QBs to be able to check out of things at the line, he needs to give them the time to read the defense and make the call. Otherwise, it's not going to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    One of the things that really stood out in my mind. We did not come to play Super Bowl 2. Mike Martz vs. Dick Vermeil.

The Chiefs came to play like it was the playoffs, where out vanilla offense and lack luster defense (that Martz is so noted for in the preseason) came to do walk throughs. This game reminds me of 2000 preseason game against the Titians, when Jeff Fisher wanted his revenge. Vermeil I think was making statement after the Ron Dayne show last week and that's all.

I think we will see a different team come Friday. If not we are going to be in for a LOOONNNGGGG season.
    I think that's a good point as well. It seemed like the Chiefs came out and played this one as if it counted on the regular season record, while the Rams were probably just trying to get some reps and get through injury free (which they didn't do). I hope Martz has the intensity ready for the Redskins, because I don't want to see what Clinton Portis can do against the run defense we saw in blue and gold last night.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith

The Chiefs came to play like it was the playoffs, where out vanilla offense and lack luster defense (that Martz is so noted for in the preseason) came to do walk throughs. This game reminds me of 2000 preseason game against the Titians, when Jeff Fisher wanted his revenge. Vermeil I think was making statement after the Ron Dayne show last week and that's all.

Wraith, I hope you're right.

My question is why doesn't Martz get up for these games. For two years now, our preseason has been loaded with walk-throughs and for two years now, we have started the season off slow, with every commentary saying the same thing...the Rams should have better prepared in the preseason. And why must Martz come out with the Vanilla offense. I mean, he's been a HC for 4 years now, he's not hiding anything from the opposing team.

I know it's preseason and in a couple of weeks, all records go to 0-0, but we can't afford to get off to another slow start. Maybe it's time that preseason at least meant a little more to the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    2. It's preseason. Since when have the Rams showed their hand ever in preseason?
    Well all that secretiveness two years ago during preseason to the point of getting the floors in the hotel across from camp being kept away from prying eyes meant what? An 0-5 to the start of the season.

Maybe more time in the open actually working on executing things might be more effective?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I heard Pratice was flat all week. And that Martz was not happy at all! The Team had no enthusiasm either so maybe just a bad week. Hell they got another game Friday so we shall see! But all in all they looked pretty.....................Bad. Marshal is way ahead of schedule.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    1. It's preseason. Most teams don't scheme to the other team.

3. I think the offense will look better when Curtis and McDonald are out there as WR's than Furry and Looker.

4. When Pace comes back and Williams moves to Turley's position, the O line gets immediately better.
    1) no playbook scheming perhaps...but you'd like to see the coaches make some efficient adjustments to the heavy blitzing...

2) not showing their hand is one thing...but when the players look lethargic and slow, that's another thing...

3) more concerned with o-line...

4) sure hope you're right...

thoey is offline Registered User

I wonder if anyone else saw this. Something I never thought I would see from this player. I can't remember if they were coming out of a time out, or just in between plays, but the guys were standing around, about ready to huddle up. Everyone else leans over to hear the play and the camera shows this guy, facing away from the group laughing and joking with someone on the sideline or from the other team. He then flashes the "L"oser sign and laughs some more. This was right before the half when we were down 24-0. Not the time to be laughing and joking. Especially if you are the consumate professional that takes pride in everything he does.

Not if you are Isaac Bruce... :disappoin
    This space for rent...

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Talking Re: Thoughts on Tonight's Game

Since being negative is too easy, I'll try to think of one positive development to come out of this game...

Did anyone see Chris Massey's hit on Dante Hall's first punt return? He freakin' smeared him. Massey seemed to always be around the tackles on punts. Not bad considering the biggest concern about him coming out of college was his toughness.

thoey is offline Registered User

Yeah Jake, I saw him stand up and stick several times... Looked pretty tough to me...
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    Not if you are Isaac Bruce... :disappoin
    Perhaps that's just a testament to how seriously the Rams took this preseason contest. The Chiefs played this game as if they were continuing their playoff run from last season. If someone like Bruce is making jokes during the two minute offense, it doesn't sound like the Rams really came into this game thinking it was going to be a contest they were serious about.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Did anyone see Chris Massey's hit on Dante Hall's first punt return?
    Heck yeah! What a hit! I about jumped out of my seat on that one. Bill Goldberg would have been jealous of that spear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast