Thread: Three strikes

AJD45 Guest

Three strikes

Given the exciting ending of the baseball game, my take on the Rams game has a baseball flavor: three early strikes killed the Rams.

To beat the best team in the NFL on Monday Night at their house the Rams needed to play a near-flawless game and get many lucky breaks. It actually almost happened, but then they struck out:

Strike 1 The Rams did not score a TD after the gift fumble on the Colts' first kick return. We got stuffed on 2nd down from the 1 then Pace jumps offsides, we settle for a FG. Team starts thinking "we're being same old stupid-penalty Rams".

Strike 2 Bulger got injured. This in all honesty sealed whatever slim chance they had, if any. Can't beat the best team in football on the road on Monday without your best players, such as Bulger and Bruce.

Strike 3 The horrible "dual possession" crap call. The only chance the Rams had left was a "better lucky than good" win, and that was sucked out when the ref overturned the other (correct) ref on the goal line fumble that ultimately led to the Colts' first points. Not just a horribly incorrect call, but completely unprofessional behavior out of the head ref. The correct ref was frantically signaling Rams ball the entire time only to have the head ref who coincidentally spent the entire game canoodling with Manning change it. I thought it was an amazing moment when that initial correct ref even had the guts to signal Rams' ball in the jerk's face while the incorrect ref was pointing the other way.

Anyway, at that point it was clear that without their starting QB or luck, it was only a matter of time before the better, more talented team won. So it ended up as predicted but at least the Rams put up a fight first. I thought the team was very fired up thanks to Vitt and the offense came out aggressive thanks to Fairchild, but bottom line is Indy is a much better team. The Rams could have come out timid and rolled over, but they didn't. Sure, it's easy to rip on the defense, but come on Manning/Harrison/Edge are the best. And did you see how many Rams cramped up? I lost count. They were cramping up because they were giving everything they got, so say what you will, at least they left it all out on the field. Something we haven't seen under Martz.

moklerman Guest

Re: Three strikes

I was pretty disturbed by the "dual posession" call as well. I've actually never heard that before. It was a bogus call and the NFL doing it's best to make sure the MNF game isn't a laugher. I'm becoming very skeptical of the integrity of the NFL's officials and have basically come to the conclusion that meaningful game's are directed by the officials (a la the NBA).

There are rarely any blowouts in big games anymore. You might say that the bad call was early in the game and it didn't make an impact on the remaining 2+ quarters, but it was a huge swing. If they call that play correctly, Colts might not establish the rhythm and the Rams D might not get so exhausted.

Think about the Pittsburgh game on MNF a couple of week's ago. The Hines Ward td overturned. The muffed punt called fair catch interference. These plays seemed quite obvious to call and yet, they went the oppisite way. I think the rules have been set up in such a way that the officials can call any play they want, any way they want.

I know, it all sounds paranoid and lke a conspiracy theory but I don't think the league is targeting particular teams, just keeping it's product entertaining. Look at all the discussion and interest the controversial stuff brings to their pocketbooks.

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

AJD,
    My hat is off to you on your precise observations.

My gut twinged when Bulger threw the ball and I almost yacked when I saw him running towards the ballcarrier after the INT. What are you doing?

Manning influenced the REFS big time; he was the reason that 'dual possession' was called on that play and the second omen appeared and the spell was cast. I was rapidly rubbing my lamp for the genie to appear, but he had no more energy.

Our guys came to play and they left every bit of what they had inside on the field of play.

Major props to Coach Vitt and the O-Staff!!!!!

I-V's for everyone after that game. Heal up and just know that I'm still behind you 100%, because you didn't punk out against the 'Undefeated Team' in their house.

No more running sideways for Jackson or I will have to say START MARSHAL FAULK. Jackson can and should only run STRAIGHT AHEAD. Start Fitz; can Martin.

Is Jerry Glanville still out there to coach? Give the Defense to Coach Vitt and fire Marmie. What about the old Buffalo Bills coach, Marv Levy? Give him a call please!!!! Scottie, please beam someone down to us!

We would have outscored them had Marc not....... they wouldn't had the opportunity to score. Everybody get well.

ldjohn55
    :clanram:

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

Moklerman,

I will go the conspiracy route.

Every darn time I see or hear a Rams game, the commentators are talking about how to beat the Rams. Fat-A John Madden hates the Rams. He never gives us any props for anything we do correctly. If we do well, it's lucky; if the other team gets lucky, he calls it the skills of a talented team.

That 'dual possession' call was sooooo political that Stevie Wonder saw it. That was the turning point. We had them stopped. Peyton Manning got in the Refs' grills and persuaded them to change the call. He or his boys were always influencing the Refs about spotting the ball. That's how they got us on a 12 men on the field; they were looking for that opportunity to show Mannnig that they had obliged him and it worked.

Props to the Defense last night for NOT getting drawn offside as many times as Peyton was trying to do. They showed discipline and heart. Although they got beaten down, it was in a large part due to home-town Refs not being impartial to either team and in favor of 'unbeaten.'

SPEEDY RECOVERY TO ALL,
    :clanram:

AugustaRamFan Guest

The second turning point for the Game was the INT that Bulger threw. He throws at least one of those "what the heck was he thinking" INTs a game. It was after that and his misguided (could have been a natural reaction) attempt to stop the runner that lead to the injury. What was he thinking???

Fitz has my vote... give the kid a shot....I would be more tolerant of his OJT mistakes. Martin has played in 1 game since 2002/2003......(NOW two)
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -10-18-2005 at 01:36 PM.

moklerman Guest

I agree that Fitzpatrick should get the start if Bulger's still injured. Starting Martin is pointless. If he had just managed to "lead" the offense to 3 and out's we would have been better off.

I agree about Bulger but didn't want to pile on after he got injured. I'm becoming very impatient with the "what the heck was he thinking" throws. Jackson was wide open for a good gain on the particular play where Bulger threw an interception. Actually, someone posted on a different board that Bulger was on Monday Night Countdown before the game talking about how he had to pay particular attention and be careful of the LB dropping back into coverage to take away the deep in routes of Holt and Curtis. How he had to work more on checking down and taking what the defense is giving.

I wonder if he really believed what he was saying? But, that's the design of this offense apparently. Every game there's going to be some kind of forced pass at the worst possible time.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Did anyone notice during the "MIKED" conversation Manning had with the line judge about spotting the ball quickly. That lead to the 12 man on the field penalty.

Players should not be allowed to talk to officials during breaks.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I was pretty disturbed by the "dual posession" call as well. I've actually never heard that before. It was a bogus call and the NFL doing it's best to make sure the MNF game isn't a laugher. I'm becoming very skeptical of the integrity of the NFL's officials and have basically come to the conclusion that meaningful game's are directed by the officials (a la the NBA).

There are rarely any blowouts in big games anymore. You might say that the bad call was early in the game and it didn't make an impact on the remaining 2+ quarters, but it was a huge swing. If they call that play correctly, Colts might not establish the rhythm and the Rams D might not get so exhausted.

Think about the Pittsburgh game on MNF a couple of week's ago. The Hines Ward td overturned. The muffed punt called fair catch interference. These plays seemed quite obvious to call and yet, they went the oppisite way. I think the rules have been set up in such a way that the officials can call any play they want, any way they want.

I know, it all sounds paranoid and lke a conspiracy theory but I don't think the league is targeting particular teams, just keeping it's product entertaining. Look at all the discussion and interest the controversial stuff brings to their pocketbooks.
    Excellent post. Great point. It really does look like that, and the dual possesion call was ridiculous.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan
    The second turning point for the Game was the INT that Bulger threw. He throws at least one of those "what the heck was he thinking" INTs a game. It was after that and his misguided (could have been a natural reaction) attempt to stop the runner that lead to the injury. What was he thinking???

Fitz has my vote... give the kid a shot....I would be more tolerant of his OJT mistakes. Martin has played in 1 game since 2002/2003......(NOW two)
    But without Bulger we don't have anything, I think we have to deal with some of Bulgers INTs because he has done alot for the Rams. Don't get me wrong I hope he can do something about some of his silly INTs, but without Bulger we are screwed.