Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Through six games our receivers and TE play

Rambos is offline Registered User

Through six games our receivers and TE play

Chris Givens is off to a good start not great. He is way ahead of the pace he set last year. He only had 4 catches and one TD with just over a hundred yards last year at this time. He has 17 catches so far for 271 yards and 15.9 yards per catch. He could of should of had two big catches in the last two weeks, just missed on both. With the run game and play action back we should see more deep shots. We had a lot of talk about bringing in Jennings, Wallace in the off-season. Jennings has 2 TD and 286 yards 14.3 per catch on 20 catches. Wallace has 1 TD 281 Yards on 22 catches 12.8 per.

Pettis, has been solid 23 catches, 234 yards, 4 TDs with a 10.2 yard per catch. He clearly is the go to guy in the red zone. Bradford has said he’s his favorite based on the trust factor.

Tavon leads the team with 24 catches, has 2 TDs but has a low 6.6 avg, Before the season started I would have never guessed he would have the most catches. I also would not believe his low avg per catch. He’s second in catches among the rookies. But we all know he has yet to get space to operate. He’s done a great job in the PR game.

Quick has 1 TD and on 7 catches, avg 14.1 per. 99 yards. Like Givens he’s off to a better start then his rookie year. Last year through 6 games he had 2 catches for 20 yards, he did not dress for one game. It’s starting to look like Bradford knows Quick can help him more then hurt him. Last week once again Quick failed to change his route and got hit in the back of the head with a pass. But five plays later Bradford went back to Quick for an easy TD catch. Quick is still not playing at the level one would expect from a second round pick, but he’s getting better and playing more snaps

Cook has two TDs, 22 catches for 311 yards 14.1 per catch. He had one monster game and then has been so, so. I expected Cook to be the featured guy. I was expecting him to be thrown the ball even if someone was on him. I’m not buying teams are doubling him and taking him away. He needs to become the main target going forward IMO. He’s on pace to have a nice year but he can do more now. I think we have seen one seam pass to him, how is that possible?

Kendricks got off to a slow start, but now that we are featuring the TEs he has taken advantage of it. He has 3 TDs, 16 catches, for 129 yards with 8.1 per catch. His blocking is getting back to where it was last year, as he missed all of camp. Kendricks is going to get a lot of playing time going forward so his number will just get better.

Harkey is the best blocking TE IMO, but has shown some nice hands. 1 TD on 5 catches for an 8.3 per catch.

When you look at it the Rams said they would spread the ball around and they are. We don’t have one guy making all the plays. They said we might have five guys with 50 catches that could happen. I hope we stay away from the short passes that are nothing more then a hand off. Last week we had over 7 yards per pass. Let Stacy run the rock and take shots down field. That includes getting Austin down field not catching dump off passes all day.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-15-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Aussie Dave and renrawtruk like this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Through six games our receivers and TE play

I will still take the occasional dump off to the runningbacks for 4-5 yards as this play is almost as good as a pass. This type of play keeps the offense on schedule and avoids 3rd n long. I am not saying I want to see checkdown checkdown checkdown but the occasional dumpoff is a good play.

I lie your analysis of the wide receiving corps to this point. I would like to see some more wide receiver screens to Givens and Austin as well as the play action rollouts to kendricks/ whoever is playing H-back as these are high percentage throws that Bradford accels at.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They said we might have five guys with 50 catches that could happen.
    They just might.

Here's the extrapolated numbers for a full season:

Austin - 64, 424, 5
    Pettis - 61, 624, 11
    Cook - 59, 829, 5
    Givens - 45, 723, 0
    Kendricks - 43, 344, 8
    Richardson - 32, 277, 0
    Pead - 24, 163, 0
    Quick - 19, 264, 3
    Harkey - 8, 67, 3

Again, just a simple extrapolation, not a scientific analysis.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'd like to see a little more of Brian Quick out there. I'd like to see his snaps split down the middle with Pettis. Pettis is a decent WR, but he will never take over a game. Quick has big time ability and has made some plays here and there. I'd like to see him in extended time.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I'd like to see a little more of Brian Quick out there. I'd like to see his snaps split down the middle with Pettis. Pettis is a decent WR, but he will never take over a game. Quick has big time ability and has made some plays here and there. I'd like to see him in extended time.
    I hear you, Sosa; but according to all reports, it is Pettis that has Bradford's trust. That means a lot.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Looking at the snap counts from last week I noticed that Quick started the game.

Here are the snap counts for the year so far.

Givens 319 has played 81% of the games.
    Pettis 314 has played 79% of the games.
    Austin 214 has played 54% of the games.
    Quick 132 has played 32% of the games.
    Bailey 100 all ST and 4 on offense.

Cook 294 has played 74% of the games.
    Kendricks 237 has played 57% of the games.
    Harkey 180 has played 19% of the games.

All the receivers and Cook have lost reps with the change in the scheme the last two weeks. In fact Cook did not start last week, it was Harkey and Kendricks with Givens and Quick. Run first approach.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-16-2013 at 11:41 AM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I honestly do not care who is out there as long as we are productive and win ballgames...

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think we generally all thought Cook, Pettis, Austin and Givens would catch about 60-70 balls each. I think that is still very likely. Givens needs to pick it up a little, that'll happen IMO because he's a quality WR with a great work ethic. Kendricks has outperformed what I'd have expected.

Considering the Rams basically whiffed on a few games, those numbers will increase that Hub extrapolated.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I don't know what to think of these numbers. It's good that we spread the ball around, that makes it hard for a defense to "shut down" one player and stall our offense. That being said, it seems that all of the top tear teams have a go to guy that they trust when the game is on the line, we don't have that.

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    I don't know what to think of these numbers. It's good that we spread the ball around, that makes it hard for a defense to "shut down" one player and stall our offense. That being said, it seems that all of the top tear teams have a go to guy that they trust when the game is on the line, we don't have that.
    I'm not so sure that is true. Denver does not have one guy. Green Bay had a lot of weapons. The problem with having the one guy is when he goes down it all stops. I think you are right when you say it's hard to defend. The GSOT did not have one guy. I think our problem used to be having the one guy, SJ. If you loaded up the box and stopped him we where done. If he got hurt, we where done. The one thing I do like is we have guys that can take over a game. We saw Cook do it, we have seen Givens make big plays. Austin even though he has yet to do it, he can. As a WR and a PR. Now Stacy, teams now have to think about his 5 yards per carry they need to stop him. It's nice to know that a guy like Kendrick who used to be a guy we all had high hopes for can slip out and catch a TD pass, all of a sudden it seems so unexpected, like where did he come from. Don't look now but I think we might be a deep team in the near future. Bailey has yet to get going.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I hear you, Sosa; but according to all reports, it is Pettis that has Bradford's trust. That means a lot.

That's true. I can see why (Texans - when Bradford threw a hot pass to Quick and Quick had his back to Bradford and it hit him in the back) and this is literally the 3rd time it happened.

When Quick doesn't have to think and he can just go you can see him making strides. It's the mental aspect tearing him apart.

Pettis is too under-productive to me. He barely does anything. I feel like we could have another WR in there that could be more productive, but who knows.

THE DREAM TEAM

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

All of this information can be viewed in several different ways. One one hand, we can say we have multiple options and are not overly reliant on one particular guy. Teams can win that way provided most, if not everyone contributes heavily throughout the season. The flip side of that is we still do not have any guy who can be considered a franchise guy- something I feel most teams have who are playoff caliber.

Can Givens, Austin or someone else turn into that guy? I guess it's possible, but right now, I see the Rams receiver situation as a collection of parts who can be decent one week and non-existent the next- again, no guy who opposing defenses must plan around. The Tight End situation is similar. I don't see any of those guys as complete players. Harkey blocks well but doesn't have a big enough body of work offensively to judge fairly. Kendricks is decent but should figure more heavily in the offensive game plan in my opinion. Cook has been a disappointment to me. For all the hype upon his signing, you'd think he'd be a Tony Gonzalez, a Jimmy Graham or an Antonio Gates. In truth, after a big week 1, he's done very little.

Because these guys are young, we must unfortunately be patient and let things pan out before giving up on people. But at some point soon, a couple of receivers need to step to the forefront and reveal themselves as dependable, steady players who put up consistent numbers and are part of the long term plans in St. Louis.

NJ good stuff.

The problem I have and I think a lot of other fans have is the player that is getting it done happens to be the wrong guy. Pettis is not supposed to have these numbers. 23 catches, 234 yards, 4 TDs if this was Tavon or Cook we would be doing back flips. If Quick had those numbers we all would feel better about the draft pick.

Dwayne Bowe 20 catches 229 yards 2 TDs. I posted Wallace and Jennings above. Those three guys are all number ones and yet Pettis has out played them so far. Pettis is not a number one we know that, but we do have one guy getting it done again it's the wrong guy.

Another problem is we have too many guys that have huge expectations and one ball. Tavon.Cook,Givens and Quick. We would like to see all these guys do better that's really not going to happen. One or two will most likely not get the numbers week in and week out. Again add Pettis leading the pack just sets back all the guys that have higher exceptions attached to them.

As long as we are winning that's all that matters right? Well not when you pay certain player to perform at a high level and then they don't. Spend high draft picks on players and the don't, just look at DRich taking Peads job, how did that go over.

If Pettis ends up with 9 TDs passes this year, where does that leave Quick next year? Year three is the year right? Do we bench Pettis? So we can play Quick?

I'm starting to look more at Givens production or lack of it in the TD department and think maybe Quick should takes some of his reps. Givens is playing the most snaps and has no TD catches.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-17-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    NJ good stuff.

The problem I have and I think a lot of other fans have is the player that is getting it done happens to be the wrong guy. Pettis is not supposed to have these numbers. 23 catches, 234 yards, 4 TDs if this was Tavon or Cook we would be doing back flips. If Quick had those numbers we all would feel better about the draft pick.

Dwayne Bowe 20 catches 229 yards 2 TDs. I posted Wallace and Jennings above. Those three guys are all number ones and yet Pettis has out played them so far. Pettis is not a number one we know that, but we do have one guy getting it done again it's the wrong guy.

Another problem is we have too many guys that have huge expectations and one ball. Tavon.Cook,Givens and Quick. We would like to see all these guys do better that's really not going to happen. One or two will most likely not get the numbers week in and week out. Again add Pettis leading the pack just sets back all the guys that have higher exceptions attached to them.

As long as we are winning that's all that matters right? Well not when you pay certain player to perform at a high level and then they don't. Spend high draft picks on players and the don't, just look at DRich taking Peads job, how did that go over.

If Pettis ends up with 9 TDs passes this year, where does that leave Quick next year? Year three is the year right? Do we bench Pettis? So we can play Quick?

I'm starting to look more at Givens production or lack of it in the TD department and think maybe Quick should takes some of his reps. Givens is playing the most snaps and has no TD catches.
    Sounds to me like the thing that needs to be adjusted is fans' expectations for individual players.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Sounds to me like the thing that needs to be adjusted is fans' expectations for individual players.
    Guilty as charged sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast