ramhard is offline Registered User

Throwing my hands up in disgust on Martz

The more I try to support Martz the harder it gets, and now I'm done. Part of being a good coach is hiring top flight staff, not people who are your buds.

Let's see:

He hired a defensive coordinator who had one of the lowest ranked defenses.
    He hired an inexperienced special teams coach after firing two very experienced ones, one who went on to coach very successful special teams this year with the Bills
    He hired (it seems) a defensive secondary coach who had a horrible secondary at Green Bay and seems to have a poor reputation as a communicator and teacher of the position.

Does this sound like the moves of a championship team?

I'm done with Martz. Now I know you can say that the front office should step in, but this is a just a sign of Martz's view of the importance of the other phases of the game.
    Last edited by ramhard; -01-24-2005 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add to title

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Throwing my hands up in disgust on Martz

He does make it difficult at times to throw your support behind him. I really thought that the front office would step in and take a stronger hand in things but that does not appear to be happening. This year is make or break for him, IMHO. If these hires do not pan out and produce better results and we finish 8-8 or worse then he has dug himself a hole with no ladder to climb out with. Hopefully, these are "diamond in the rough" hires that will work out...but I'm not so sure...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan
    He does make it difficult at times to throw your support behind him. I really thought that the front office would step in and take a stronger hand in things but that does not appear to be happening. This year is make or break for him, IMHO. If these hires do not pan out and produce better results and we finish 8-8 or worse then he has dug himself a hole with no ladder to climb out with. Hopefully, these are "diamond in the rough" hires that will work out...but I'm not so sure...
    how is it that you know the front office did not step in and have an influence on these hirings exactly? just curious. it seems that when people don't like something it's automatically Martz' call, and not the FO.

tanus is offline Registered User

because everyone on this board knows all. didnt you know that?

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

how is it that you know the front office did not step in and have an influence on these hirings exactly? just curious.
    I don't know. It just seems strange that when you have glaring weaknesses on a team, and the coaching hires are filled with either unknowns or by coaches that have had little or no success then these decisions are suspect. I did say that I hope these are "diamond in the rough" choices that pan out. I still support Martz. I just question his decision making at times (Marmie). That is what we as fans do because we want to see our team succeed not regress or dwell in mediocrity. If these are front office hires and not strictly Martz choices, and they show immediate results, then I was mistaken for questioning them in the first place...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I'm telling you......more LB'S on special teams and things get better. Martz is gonna have to let some bigger names on those SP teams also to get better results :disappoin
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Diamonds in the rough?

You mean like trying to turn a QB into a safety? Those have worked out real well for Martz in the past.

I think it's safe to say that he hired another one of his buddy's from ASU, and the whole media thing of "we haven't really kept in touch over the years and I kept hearing about this guy down in Florida....and guess who it was?"

I actually figured I've give Marmie another year ("if I were president") as the Defense got significantly better towards the end of the year...

But that was until the Falcons game. Not because they ran up 327 yards rushing, but because the strategy they used, in retrospect, was so far off from what needed to happen. I know that the Pats D' coordinator, using our guys, could have minimized the impact of Vick and Dunn, and not been embarrased.

I hate when it comes down to their coaching (Mora) having a better strategy than our coaches. They knew they could beat our special teams with even the slightest bit of trickery. Martz rarely capitalizes on another teams weakness....unless that weakness just so happens to be their secondary.

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Diamonds in the rough?
    You mean like trying to turn a QB into a safety? Those have worked out real well for Martz in the past.
    So are you questioning Vermeil over in KC for just picking up Crouch to play safety - after he's quit the NFL many times already? Just curious.

This is a redundant conversation that will never go anywhere, anyways. Some people just don't like Martz and want to blame him for everything. And I'm not saying anyone in this thread, but there are many fans that just don't like him, largely because of his personality. I personally look at the fact that we've been in the playoffs all but one year since he became HC and I'm happy. We are competing on a regular basis in a league where the talent level across the board is very close, and that's more than a lot of teams in the NFL can say.
    Last edited by tim; -01-25-2005 at 07:46 PM.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Could have alot to do with Zyggy, not so much Martz!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    You mean like trying to turn a QB into a safety?
    Last I checked, this wasn't a strategy employed only by Martz. The Chiefs are trying it with Crouch. The Packers tried it with Crouch. The Texans are trying it with Jammal Lord. Look at what happened when Cowher turned Randle El from college QB into wide receiver/return man. Isn't there a guy on Minnesota - Dixon I think his name is - that was converted from a defensive lineman to an offensive guard?

So why is it that when Martz tries to do it, he gets blasted for it? It happens quite often in the league for a guy to play one position in college (or hell, even the pros) only to be tried out at another position. The Rams were not the only team looking at Crouch in the draft at another position, and had the Rams not drafted him, who knows if/when someone else would have. But clearly there was interest there.

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Some people just don't like Martz and want to blame him for everything. And I'm not saying anyone in this thread, but there are many fans that just don't like him, largely because of his personality. I personally look at the fact that we've been in the playoffs all but one year since he became HC and I'm happy. We are competing on a regular basis in a league where the talent level across the board is very close, and that's more than a lot of teams in the NFL can say.
    Agreed. Hadley's latest article seems to be saying that many of our free agent loses haven't been on Martz's hands but rather Zygmunt, but I guarantee that the "Martz has destroyed a SB caliber team" argument will continue to rear its ugly head simply because Martz makes a great scapegoat.

It's interesting, really. Having been to a number of Rams boards, it's rather entertaining to watch some fans blame Martz for just about everything that's not going well with the team only to turn around and complain to high heaven when a player is made the scapegoat for the problems of a particular unit.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

At least Crouch is supposedly some incredible athlete. The Rams tried it with some guy named Bellisari, who was probably not only a bad quarterback, but a worse safety. "Sunshine" was another bad former QB turned safety...although Martz should have kept him if he actually cared about special teams. The guy was our best special teamer for a couple years.

FYI, there is a difference between critisizing the guy in charge for mistakes made, and saying "so everything is Martz' fault, right?".

No, it's not all Martz' fault, but there is plenty of room for improvement, and he's apparently a "my way or the highway" kind of guy, so part of the concern is whether or not he will address the issues identified.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think alot of great coaches are of the "my way or the highway" mold.

Bellicheck, Parcells and Gibbs for example.

I agree. and I love Martz's "my way" attitude....when they're winning!

It's just a little tough to deal with when there are obvious fixes that need to be made, and Mora's comments about special teams are unfortunately, hitting the nail on the head.

I like Martz. I want him to show all these so called "experts" that he can get it right and take this team to the Superbowl again, HIS WAY.

But the little things are important, and I don't know if he will ever accept it.