RamWraith is offline Registered User

Thrown for a loss

By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Thursday, Oct. 25 2007

Late last season, Marc Bulger called out unnamed teammates for giving less than
    maximum effort. The remarks played well in the community, and in the locker
    room. And Bulger took a step forward as a leader.

OK, so where is that guy now?

Can we get Bulger to take charge?

The Rams need him to be a positive leader.

Bulger has taken a terrible step back this season, in his performance, and in
    his attitude. And this is especially troubling in that Bulger's decline comes a
    few months after the franchise gave him a $65 million contract that includes
    $27 million in guaranteed money.

Here's what the Rams have gotten, so far, for their investment:

— An 0-7 record.

— The lowest-scoring offense of the Rams' 13 seasons in St. Louis.

— An average of nine points per game in Bulger's five starts.

— A Bulger passer rating of 58.7, which is the lowest by a Rams' starting
    quarterback (minimum five starts) since the team moved here in 1995.

Yes, what Bulger has done this season is worse than anything served up by Tony
    Banks, the object of hostile ridicule and derision during his term as the Rams'
    starting QB from 1996 to 1998. With Bulger teaming with backup Gus Frerotte
    (two starts), the Rams are at the

bottom of the NFL in passer rating.

Bulger is playing with a couple of broken ribs, and I respect him for that.
    Wednesday, Bulger said he's feeling better — about 80 percent healthy. "It's
    not that bad," he said.

Plenty of NFL quarterbacks are hurting. I watched Arizona's Kurt Warner play at
    Washington on Sunday with a brace on his left arm, to stabilize a torn elbow
    ligament. Warner couldn't use the left arm to hand the ball off; he was a
    one-armed QB.

Warner, shaky early, never stopped battling. He refused to give in to his pain,
    the hostile stadium, the physical Redskins defense. Warner completed 13 of 21
    for 211 yards in the second half to nearly rally the Cardinals back from a
    15-point, fourth-quarter deficit. Washington held on to win by two.

After the game, Redskins assistant Al Saunders, the former Rams assistant,
    waited for Warner outside the locker room and commented to reporters, "What a
    courageous guy. He can't even lift his left arm. You've got to be tough to play
    that position, but that guy's really tough."

Warner left everything he had on that field. No one who saw the game had any
    questions about Warner's fire, his competitiveness. That isn't true of Bulger
    these days.

I realize the offensive line is mostly a collection of spare parts and loose
    ends, and Bulger absorbs too many hits. The running game has been sluggish,
    with or without Steven Jackson. The coaching is an issue. But at least in one
    of Frerotte's starts, against Arizona, the Rams played with energy and put up
    31 points in a three-point loss.

No, this isn't all Bulger's fault, but that doesn't mean he gets a waiver on
    the crash of this offense. He isn't playing well. Worse, Bulger isn't playing
    with any spirit, any kick. At Seattle, Bulger appeared to be mailing it in.

Why was Bulger rolling his eyes and smirking at his head coach on the sideline
    in Seattle? Scott Linehan was correct in reminding Bulger of standard QB
    procedure: You don't take a sack inside the other team's 5-yard line; throw the
    ball away. But Bulger was dumped, and the Rams faced a third-and-goal from the
    13, instead of a third-and-goal from the 4.

It was proper for Linehan to say something. That's his job. So, Bulger is so
    good, it's OK to wave off coaching? He shouldn't be held accountable? When the
    Rams fired Mike Martz and hired Linehan, Bulger expressed his happiness and
    took shots at Martz. But it's no secret that Bulger grumbles about Linehan,
    too. Perhaps Bulger should lead the search committee for the next head coach so
    he can find one that rates his approval.

It's easy to dog the head coach, but what is Bulger doing to make things
    better? The same is true of veterans such as Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. They
    had a chance to make big plays in Seattle and whiffed. Before he suffered his
    groin injury, Jackson lost two fumbles in the season-opening loss to Carolina.

Linehan deserves criticism, but I'm trying to figure out why this team's
    high-salaried stars consistently receive a free pass from most fans and media
    in this town. The big-ticket guys aren't doing much to reverse this team's
    decline, or to improve the morale.

Wednesday, Bulger insisted that everything is swell with Linehan.

"I believe in him," Bulger said. "I think everyone else does. I haven't seen
    anyone quitting. ... I think if guys are moping around and quitting you just
    hear more, and I haven't heard that. I think we're all 100 percent behind him."

Well, I'm going to have to call Bulger out on that one.

Don't tell us.

Show us.

Sunday, against Cleveland.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Thrown for a loss

What a great article. I'm leaning back towards S.L.A.P..
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-25-2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: just making a little space, partner.

Bernie the DOLT does it AGAIN.

— A Bulger passer rating of 58.7, which is the lowest by a Rams' starting
    quarterback (minimum five starts) since the team moved here in 1995.

Yes, what Bulger has done this season is worse than anything served up by Tony
    Banks, the object of hostile ridicule and derision during his term as the Rams'
    starting QB from 1996 to 1998. With Bulger teaming with backup Gus Frerotte
    (two starts), the Rams are at the

bottom of the NFL in passer rating.

Man, you know life is good when Bernie the DOLT is back in town..

What a HACK

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

A lot of people don't seem to like this Bernie guy. I've not seen much of a reason for that, but i dont really pay much attention to the rams meid stuff. I get most of my info from the Clan.

That said he makes some excellent points in this article. This team looks like a day old camp fire, little smoke and definatly no fire. Somebody has to take control of this team and get these guys fired up, we've seen its not going to captain scotty, so which of our million doller men will it be?

I think having SJ come back will help, but i'm far from convinced it will right the ship.

I'd love to see Marc stand up and admit hes been a flop this year, then go on to call himself out and then all the other vets as well.
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

therss alot of good points in the post,where are the stars ? is linehan getting to much blame ?should linehan be pissed because the starts aren't stepping up ? all good questions and the part about Warner is right on the mark,thats the game we had where I live and he did show great courage playing QB with basically one arm.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Leave it to Bernie to stir up crap and try to get the fans pointing the finger at Bulger. Also, showing what a hypocrite he is, Bernie brings Warner into the conversation, after spending the last few years constantly saying how tired he was of the Warner/Bulger debate.

Marc Bulger has beem playing with broken ribs with no O line, hobbled receivers and a pair of playcallers who shouldn't be calling plays for any team other than one on Madden Football. You think that might have something to do with his poor stats, Bernie?

Don't tell us about accountability, Bernie. You're the only one who has none.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Revelstoke View Post
    A lot of people don't seem to like this Bernie guy. I've not seen much of a reason for that, but i dont really pay much attention to the rams meid stuff. I get most of my info from the Clan.

That said he makes some excellent points in this article. This team looks like a day old camp fire, little smoke and definatly no fire. Somebody has to take control of this team and get these guys fired up, we've seen its not going to captain scotty, so which of our million doller men will it be?

I think having SJ come back will help, but i'm far from convinced it will right the ship.

I'd love to see Marc stand up and admit hes been a flop this year, then go on to call himself out and then all the other vets as well.
    So you want Marc to get up on a podium and tell the world he has sucked all year? He does that every week, all you have to do is read the articles. He comments on how badly he plays every week. He's not placing the blame anywhere else ...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    Linehan deserves criticism, but I'm trying to figure out why this team's
    high-salaried stars consistently receive a free pass from most fans and media
    in this town. The big-ticket guys aren't doing much to reverse this team's
    decline, or to improve the morale.
    The bottom line here is that the palyers themselves are going to have to get it done on the field before this skid ends. These guys are professionals, they practice the plays that are called and need to execute them when the opportunities arrive. I would be more inclined to criticize the playcalling if it was simply not working because the opposing defenses were having an impact by making great plays, but how many times have good drives or scoring opportunities been killed because of a horrible throw with little or no pressure, a fumble, a dropped pass, an interception, a penalty, a missed kick or a blown assignment?

If guys like Bulger, Holt, Bruce, Wilkins or Jackson (who by the way have been around long enough to know how to execute without any extra coaching) made plays THEY HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE, our fortunes would be much different IMO.

There is no doubt that suspect playcalling and a depleated talent level are part of the teams woes, but when a play is called that results in a player having a ball in his hands, in the endzone and that ball is dropped, there is no excuse. If our guys don't make it happen when they get their shots, we may not win a single game because we'll most assuredly be playing on thin margins with almost no room for error the rest of the season.

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

So you want Marc to get up on a podium and tell the world he has sucked all year? He does that every week, all you have to do is read the articles. He comments on how badly he plays every week. He's not placing the blame anywhere else ...

I'd love to see Marc stand up and admit hes been a flop this year,
    I get the feeling you read this and then stoped reading.

then go on to call himself out and then all the other vets as well.
    As the leader of this team, the quarterback, Marc has to be the guy who holds all others accountable for their play. In order to do that, you have to be accountable to the team for your own play.

Last year Marc called out "unnamed" players to step it up, and if i'm not mistaken that worked out pretty well.

This year, based on the 0-7, i don't think "unnamed" is going to cut it, therefore, like I said in the first post, I'd love to see him call out the vets, but i want him to name names and call for real actions, not "we need to play better" but "Ritchie, you have to stop taking stupid penalties and killing drives!" "Torry, when the ball lands in your hands you have to hang on to it!" etc
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I would love to see Peyton under this line and I doubt he'd do much better. Bulger, Holt, Bruce and Jackson have proven themselves to be great players so doesn't it seem odd that none of them have had a great year? Well, perhaps it IS the line (Which we all knew it was anyways), the line is a lot more important than we think and unfortunately we don't have adequate backups...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams