Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Thursday Quotes From Rams Park

Head Coach Scott Linehan

Thursday, September 21, 2006

(Opening statement)

“We had one player that was absent today. It’s not an excused absence. As soon as I get to the bottom of why first, make sure everything is okay with Tony—Hargrove that is obviously, then I’ll comment on it. He was not at practice today. For what reason I do not know to be honest with you. Orlando [Pace] did participate on a very limited basis today, but looks and feels a lot better. A little more encouraging. We’ll probably upgrade him to questionable at this point just based on dramatic improvement from how he felt yesterday to today.”

(On the results from Pace’s neuro tests)

“We’re doing them tomorrow. That’s all part of it. We’ll do them tomorrow, sometime in the afternoon. It’s a precautionary thing, but you’ve certainly got to do it.”

(On staff members contacting Hargrove)

“Yes, several people. No success at this point. Hopefully we will get some kind of contact before the end of the day. First of all we’ve got to make sure everything’s okay, and then find out certainly why he would not be here.”

(On if Hargrove was expecting a child)

“I’m not aware of that. I’m really not so I couldn’t comment on it.”

(On if Hargrove will be available to play on Sunday)

“Too early. As soon as I do get in touch with him I will comment on his status for Sunday.”

(On if he knows who would take Hargrove’s place)

“No. Victor [Adeyanju] and Brandon [Green] certainly worked a lot in certain packages that we use. Brandon’s real familiar in really all the end positions, but we’ll…”

(On Pace having any symptoms)

“He said he felt better. I think his symptoms are…I don’t think he’s symptomatic now which is why I think it’s encouraging. I think he just feels better. He said he hasn’t been experiencing any discomfort at this point. Again, we’re being cautious on that.”

(On if Adam Goldberg would fill in for Pace)

“I don’t know yet. I really don’t because he hasn’t practiced enough to make that decision.”

(On being pleased with RB Steven Jackson’s performances)

“I’m pleased with that and I’m pleased with his ball security. He’s got I think two straight games in the twenties, which is a good number for him. People have been going after that ball pretty good and so far so good, knock on wood. That’s been a big emphasis certainly for our offense. He’s been the main ball carrier and he’s done a nice job with that, as well as coming up with some nice runs in the last two games.”

(On Jackson getting stronger as the game goes along)

“I think so. He’s certainly one of those type backs. He’s a big punishing-type runner and they’re harder to tackle if you’re able to establish a running game as the game goes on. They tend to wear you down a bit because he’s a big guy to tackle. I think it will help as we go through to have Stephen Davis take some carries as well, some with [Tony] Fisher, so he is fresher and in the fourth quarter. Certainly it helps to have a lead if you go into the fourth quarter to be really banging away running it. He’s done a nice job so far.”

(On being pleased with today’s practice)

“Today was good. The last two days have been good. We finished practice 10 minutes earlier yesterday and 10 minutes earlier today and the reps were the same, so our tempo was better. Less repeats. It doesn’t mean we didn’t have mistakes, but the tempo of the practice was much better. We’ve got to practice that way so we can play that way on Sunday.”

(On the challenges Arizona’s wide receivers bring)

“Big and physical. They’ve got more tools than that, but it’s really a tough match up when you go up against big, physical guys like that. The challenge is to be able to contain them. I really mean that. They have the ability to make big plays, they’re showing that already. Certainly last year, and previous years, they’ve built up a pretty good reputation. They’ve got a great quarterback who can get them the ball, who knows how to get them the ball. It’s going to be a pretty big challenge for our secondary to slow those guys down a little bit.”

(On WR Anquan Boldin and WR Larry Fitzgerald)

“They’re complete package guys. That makes it for a tough match-up. We’ve got to be creative in how we also help those guys at times too. Not always having to cover them one-on-one. Times are going to be in that situation. You’re going to have to get it done.”

(On LB Pisa Tinoisamoa’s condition)

“Pisa was better, but still was limited. Feels better. Swelling’s down some. His attitude’s fantastic as it always is. Again, we’ll see…he’s still listed the same as questionable. We’ll evaluate him as we…get him a good brace for that elbow here for a while. He’s going to have to wear a brace on that because of the damage to his ligaments in his elbow.”

(On Pisa wearing the red jersey at practice)

“It’s just so he can practice, but we don’t want anybody running into him.”

(On the new Arizona crowd)

“It’s going to be different, certainly, than in recent years. That’s why they’ve got the new facility. I understand it’s pretty loud in there. If you noticed San Francisco had some problems I think with crowd noise in that first game so we’ve got to prepare for maybe a different crowd than we’re used to down there. Usually that’s the way it is when you go on the road in the NFL anyways. We’re preparing for that.”

(On ever having a player not show up for practice)

“It’s rare, but again, until I find out what happened, make sure everything’s okay, it’s hard to comment on it. You’ve got to make sure that there’s nothing wrong too.”

DE Leonard Little

(On a new era of Arizona Cardinals football)

“We’re expecting a little something (different). You have a brand new state of the art stadium bringing in the fans and I’m pretty sure it’s sold out. It’ll be a totally different atmosphere than it has been in the past. We have to prepare for that as a team, to try to win a game in a hostile environment.”

(On not getting a great pass rush last week at San Francisco)

“San Francisco made a lot of adjustments at halftime to keep us away from the quarterback and get the quarterback out of the pocket. We have to make adjustments according to what they do to us. That’s the only thing we have to do. (We need) to make the proper adjustments and try to get into our gameplan.”

(On Cardinals RB Edgerrin James)

“He’s one of the best running backs in the league. He’ll give you 1,600 yards a year. There’s a real threat with their running game. We have to really prepare for both things; the running game and the passing game.”

(On defensive mistakes opening opportunities for your opponent’s offense)

“It’s really a fine line because if you’re out of place, out of your gap, or out of your coverage lane they can get plays. That’s the NFL. We have to be almost perfect on every play in order to stop offenses. If we’re out of our gap and things of that sort, it’s harder to stop those big plays.”

CB Travis Fisher

(On going up against the Cardinals marquee receivers)

“That’s how I approach it every week going against receivers. It’s not just Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. Every week it’s two, three, maybe four receivers that are pretty good. I’m not just thinking that we’re going to Arizona and we have some great receivers to play against; that’s every week. These guys are just three or four other receivers we have to cover this week. So, we just try to concentrate on what we’re doing here, and by doing that it takes care of itself.”

(On the tempo of practice this week)

“We’re practicing a lot faster. Things are getting done and a lot of periods are getting done a lot faster. I can see what coach is talking about then. Out in practice we don’t have watches on, so we really can’t tell, but the tempo is pretty fast. It’s pretty fast out there in practice so I can see why we’re getting done earlier.”

(On last week’s game affecting practice tempo)

“I don’t think it had anything to do with that (losing the game last week). I think we’re just practicing faster. I think as the season goes on we might get done 10 minutes faster than that. I don’t think it had anything to do with last week’s preparation for the game, I think we’re just getting used to different things and the tempo is more upbeat.”

CB Tye Hill

(On the size of the Cardinals receivers causing problems for him)

“No, because basically I just have to worry about getting in the right position. You could be the same size as somebody and they can have better position on you and they will get the ball. I could be out of position sometimes and make plays. It’s all about playing. Sitting there and you start thinking about the size of somebody will distract you from what you’re supposed to be doing. I can’t think about how big they are. God made me 5’10, 185 lbs, so I have to play with that. It’s been good for me, and I’m going to keep working with it.”

(On Cardinals fans being more excited for their team this year)

“I think so, because I think the fans of Arizona have something to really look forward to. I think they have a good team. When you have exciting offensive players, you have a chance to win games on defense. I think it’s going to be a hostile environment. Any game on the road is always going to be a hostile environment in this division.”

(On what this game means to him)

“I just know it’s a division game and it’s a very important game. I’m going to play every game like it’s very important. That’s what I’m going to go into the game and do.”

(On getting a victory against the former St. Louis Football Cardinals)

“We’re going to try to make the fans in St. Louis very happy.”

RB Steven Jackson

(On being third-leading rusher in the NFL this season)

“It feels pretty good. I’m fully aware that it’s only through Week 2. Hopefully we can keep this up in strides and pace through it. This league is a marathon, not a race.”

(On being happy with the touches he’s getting)

“I think I’m getting over 20 touches right now. We’re moving the ball consistently, especially last game. We didn’t get the big gains, but we consistently moved the ball and I think we’re starting to pick up on our blocking scheme a little better and everyone’s starting to be on the same page.”

(On the pain he feels on Mondays)

“A lot more sore that the previous years. A lot more time in the ice tubs to recover. I’m pretty sure that they (my opponents) are just as sore.”

(On not being sure about T Orlando Pace’s health)

“I have to put my trust in my offensive line, the guy that’s going to back him up, and the decision making of the doctors. Right now I can’t really be too concerned with that, even though I am. I really have to get focused and get ready to gameplan for Arizona. Even if ‘Big O’ (Orlando Pace) can’t go, I know I’m playing, so I have to be prepared to get the looks that I’m going to see.”

(On trying to get some yards, rather than trying to break a big run every play)

“I think I have the comfort level of knowing that if I don’t get the big gain, I’m going to see the ball again. Sometimes in previous years I have looked for the big gain a lot and sometimes that hurt us. Now I can stay consistent with my run reads and know that coach is going to give me another chance.”

(On how he gets better as the game goes on)

“A lot goes on through the course of a game that the average fan doesn’t realize. You have to have a feel of what the defense is trying to do and you also have to wear them down. Coaches are calling plays to see what they’re going to do and what formation they’ll have to line up against. As the course of the game goes, I think I get a feel of what they’re doing and I believe the offensive line does too. With that being said, that’s when I get my big yards, later in the game.”

(On expecting an intense game on Sunday)

“I am, even though the Cardinals always play us tough because of the rivalry. With the new stadium and with Edgerrin (James) coming into town, they have a lot to cheer for. It’s the beginning of the season and a lot of people don’t take us seriously right now. So we have to come out overcome a lot of things, (like) the crowd noise and them being hype when the game starts. I think if we can move the ball consistently and put up points, we can silence them quickly.”

(On offensive differences from last year)

“I think we’re doing a lot differently. We actually practice running plays a little bit more. The offensive line and running backs study together. I actually know what run calls and different reads the offensive line makes up front mean (because of that). Last year when the offensive line would make a call 9 times out of 10, I didn’t know what they were talking about. I think that’s helped a lot, to be in the same room and communicate what’s going on.”

(On Coach Linehan’s assessment of the offense’s progress)

“Well that’s coach. He’s going to downplay everything. I think that’s the safe route to go. We moved the ball consistently, we just haven’t always capped off the drive like we should. I think that just comes with time. The passing game is very different; they have to get the timing. Sometimes a receiver may see something that the quarterback doesn’t see. It comes with time, hopefully this week is it.”

(On going up against Cardinals RB Edgerrin James)

“It’s going to give me an extra incentive, not only to run hard, but to make a statement to the league. If you’re putting up big numbers or just as impressive of a game that a guy like Edgerrin James, I think you could raise the eyebrows of some critics and guys that don’t know that much about you.”

(On observing other running backs)

“I don’t watch them during the game. I actually sit and try to see what’s going on. Throughout the year, when I have time to sit at home an watch them, I enjoy a lot of running back’s games. I feel that Edgerrin’s a guy that has great vision, stays low, has a low center of gravity, and he moves the chains. He’s not really flashy, but he gets the job done. He’s a true running back in my opinion.”

(On watching game film)

“Believe it or not, I hate watching myself on film. The coaches are trying to change that about me. I understand that I do need to watch myself, but at the same time it’s an awkward feeling. I don’t even watch my interviews, so I’ll never see this. I can be really hard on myself, and in the course of the game things happen really fast and you really don’t know how things happened until you see them on film, so I understand why I need to watch it.”

(On Cardinals SS Adrian Wilson)

“We’re going to focus on Wilson. We know he’s a guy that’s going to be a big playmaker for them. Someone will be accountable and hopefully we can mix up the different protection packages so they don’t get a feel for what we’re trying to do.”

Barry Waller

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Thursday Quotes From Rams Park

Quote Originally Posted by S Jackson
    (On offensive differences from last year)

“I think we’re doing a lot differently. We actually practice running plays a little bit more. The offensive line and running backs study together. I actually know what run calls and different reads the offensive line makes up front mean (because of that). Last year when the offensive line would make a call 9 times out of 10, I didn’t know what they were talking about. I think that’s helped a lot, to be in the same room and communicate what’s going on.”
    Wow he is working with the O line.....what a concept.

I would have thought this was a normal thing. Call me silly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Wow he is working with the O line.....what a concept.

I would have thought this was a normal thing. Call me silly.
    Ok you're silly.

Although you are absolutely right, and I thought it was a standard way of doing things also. More of a reason to not blame Jakcson as much for some of his mistakes last year.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

MATEOBURRITO is offline Registered User

I like the fact that Jackson sounds as if he's more comfortable taking smaller gains now. In Martz's system, if you didn't make big run plays every time, he used you less and less. Linehan understands that 3-4 yards per carry can help out a lot.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Ok you're silly.

Although you are absolutely right, and I thought it was a standard way of doing things also. More of a reason to not blame Jakcson as much for some of his mistakes last year.
    It is a little hard for me to not blame a guy that says nine times out of ten he had no idea what his teammates were doing because he did not understand the OL calls. I have to put that back on him some to raise the flag with the staff and if that don't work ask your OL teammates to help you understand.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by STLRAMSFAN View Post
    It is a little hard for me to not blame a guy that says nine times out of ten he had no idea what his teammates were doing because he did not understand the OL calls. I have to put that back on him some to raise the flag with the staff and if that don't work ask your OL teammates to help you understand.
    That's why I said to not blame Jackson "as much" as opposed to not at all. Overall he still took too much crap for last year, he deserved some blame with many different areas of his game last year, but now we hear he wasn't even in the same room as the O Line, that's just crazy.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE