RamWraith is offline Registered User

Thursday Rams Camp Report

Post-Dispatch Rams beat writer Jim Thomas joined Bernie Miklasz and Randy Karraker on The Roll Home on Team 1380 Thursday afternoon in the middle of the second practice. Jim watched the defense practice more today, and everything was a lot calmer with no fights so far.

Chris Long uses his hands, and you can see the polish, but he is still learning the defense. He has been going up against Brandon Torre and Mike Otto. He’s had a couple good pass rushes against the one guy and has been shut down by the other. The coaches are treating him like any other rookie and they are yelling in his ear the whole time. Long had Vince Young running for his life at one point, which led to a bad throw and interception.

Willie Williams (#93) and Chris Long looked the best yesterday among the lineman, and Williams might be someone to watch Saturday in the second half.

The secondary as a whole has struggled so far in camp, but two starters have been out most of camp—Fakhir Brown and OJ Atogwe.

The play of both lines has been impressive in camp. Adam Goldberg has looked pretty good at left tackle and has more than held his own in the one on one pass rush drills against the Titans.

New Offensive Line Coach Steve Loney has sparked up a lot of the guys on the line. He is an encouraging type of guy and a better communicator than Coach Boudreau last year.

The Rams will most likely look to pick up players who could help the team, especially linemen, from guys who will get cut from other teams’ camps.

Donnie Avery ran some routes again today without pads, and the Rams are going to try to get him going next week, and he might be able to play in the first home preseason game.

Normally Antonio Pittman would do some work in the special teams practice, but he had a bruised thigh so he really didn’t do much this morning.

Brian Leonard has looked pretty good for what he is---a north and south runner, but if Steven Jackson doesn’t come back soon, maybe the Rams will try to sign a veteran running back.

Tomorrow the Rams will have a walk through just like during the regular season before a game. Some of the Rams did some yoga today to work on flexibility and to change it up a little.

Trent Green looked very rusty that first week, but as the days progressed in Mequon he got a lot better. His skills have eroded a little, but he is still very accurate.

Randy McMichael looks good and they are still throwing him the ball a lot. Joe Klopfenstein will be the secondary tight end receiving option behind McMichael. The primary blocking tight end Anthony Becht is out with an injury still, and he will still be out for a while so he isn’t getting a chance to gel with the offensive line.

Marc Bulger said he will get about two series in the first preseason game, and Trent Green will probably get the rest of the first half, but it is hard to say how they will really split up the playing time for the quarterbacks Saturday.

Scott Linehan isn’t as intimately involved this year because of the two coordinators he has running the offense and defense so it will be interesting to see how involved he is during the games.

Josh Guest

Re: Thursday Rams Camp Report

I hope we can stay healthy in the first game. We need to take care of our players.

eldfan is offline Registered User

"Brian Leonard has looked pretty good for what he is---a north and south runner, but if Steven Jackson doesn’t come back soon, maybe the Rams will try to sign a veteran running back."

Man I am worry about the depth at RB. Beyond Jackson I am not sure.
    :ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

THIS is what I hate about camp reports.
    The play of both lines has been impressive in camp........

The Rams will most likely look to pick up players who could help the team, especially linemen, from guys who will get cut from other teams’ camps.
    Which is it? Are the lines playing well or not?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

Post-Dispatch Rams beat writer Jim Thomas joined Bernie Miklasz and Randy Karraker on The Roll Home on Team 1380 Thursday afternoon in the middle of the second practice.

Scott Linehan isn’t as intimately involved this year because of the two coordinators he has running the offense and defense so it will be interesting to see how involved he is during the games.
    Scott Linehan was last seen roasting marshmallows by the "CAMP" fire.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    THIS is what I hate about camp reports. Which is it? Are the lines playing well or not?
    I absolutely agree. That's why I so enjoy reading Wraith's and other fans' reports from camp - it's straight talk, you know they're not going to be intentionally vague or cover up things.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    THIS is what I hate about camp reports. Which is it? Are the lines playing well or not?
    Yeah, and Chris Long was one of the top performers on the line but was getting completely shut down by one of the tackles he went up against.

I'm not sure exactly how the young guys will pan out, but I'm not that worried. If the offensive line plays well, Pittman or Leonard should at least be adequate if Jackson is out for a few games. There have been some good camp reports about rookie UDFA Lance Ball, and everyone forgets that we do have a veteran backup in Travis Minor.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I'm worried about that, but more worried about the depth at secondary. I said before that if we lose Fahkir Brown to injury or suspension, we're going to be in some trouble. He's not an all-pro DB by any means, but he's solid, at least- something that can not be said for Tye Hill as of yet. I think Jonathan Wade was a waste of a pick- especially as high as he was taken and the fact that they're saying he looks less polished than Justin King- who has never played a down in the NFL- is not exactly inspiring me with hope that I was wrong. Bartell has shown some flashes, but lacks consistancy. If these guys are forced into starting positions, we'll probably see our secondary get shredded again. At safety, Chavous left his best years behind him before coming to St. Louis and Otogwe is streaky.