Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Tim McKernan puts St. Louisians to shame

The Rams' Camp Opens Up Today...But Why Isn't Anybody Talking Football?

By Tim McKernan July 26, 2007

The Rams 2007 campaign begins today. On the football side, camp opens. And, on the business side, individual game ticket sales begin.

Notice something?

Not many people are talking about the Rams.

It's a different world around St. Louis these days than it was just a few years ago. The silence is deafening.

Remember 1999...

And 2000...

And 2001...

For area football fans, it may seem like a long time ago, and I suppose in a sense it is, as we're only 2 years from the 10 year anniversary of The Greatest Show on Turf.

But, for my money, as odd as it may sound, the emergence of the now famous 1999 Rams was the beginning of the end of the Edward Jones Dome being populated by "real" football fans. From 1995 to 1998, the Dome was not *the* place to be on a Sunday afternoon. But, in 1999, it became cool to go to a Rams' game...and so the Dome became uncool.

I wouldn't trade watching the '99, '00, and '01 Rams for an outdoor stadium and a lively atmosphere, but I do think the sudden rush of success of those three years has turned many Rams' fans into the Atlanta Braves' fans of the NFL: If it ain't a playoff game and/or a shootout, expect empty seats and if they're are people in the seats...they will be sitting in those seats all game long. God forbid someone actually stand up and make some noise at an NFL game. If you do that in St. Louis, there's a good chance some old bat will call an usher over to have you scolded.

Brutal.

I've had the fortune of seeing games at 2/3 of the NFL stadiums, and in my opinion, the atmosphere at the Edward Jones Dome is the worst of all the places I've been.

I don't think that's because St. Louis football fans are passive by nature. Rather, I think we've been spoiled by a rush of success and the most exciting brand of football the league had seen over the last 25 years.

That will get you a boring building...because many of the building's inhabitants are spoiled.

But, the difference between a boring building and what we're seeing in St. Louis when it comes to the lackluster interest in this football team stems, sadly, from a lack of personality in the organization. This stuff shouldn't matter, but I really think it contributes.

Scott Linehan may be the nicest guy in the world and a great coach. Then again, he may not be. Few people know just yet. Unfortunately, I feel like only a few more care. His press conferences aren't particularly entertaining or interesting, and while that garbage means nothing to a team's success, a lightning-rod for a coach gets the community talking...one way or the other (see Martz, Mike).

And, Marc Bulger is indeed in the top-third of NFL quarterbacks, in my opinion. But, once again, Bulger's persona doesn't inspire much intrigue...unless you're one of the zealots who loathe him just because he isn't Kurt Warner.

The offense is full of some amazing talent, but Isaac Bruce doesn't talk much, Torry Holt doesn't say much, and as "bad" as Steven Jackson is, I get the feeling that there's a healthy (or is it unhealthy?) contingent of St. Louisans who don't like him much.

And, on the defense, the best and most exciting player is despised by many in the community. Outside of Leonard Little, the Rams' defense doesn't exactly inspire fans (hardcore and casual alike) to stand around the water cooler and talk football. Hell, I'd be willing to wager that more than half the people in the Dome last year couldn't name more than half the people on the Rams' starting defense.

It's an odd thing, isn't it?

From the late 80's to the mid-90's, many of us were dying to have a team in town. Now that we have it---and a Super Bowl Championship as well---the Rams are almost taken for granted. I hosted a post-game show last year, and the lack of interest---even when it was good and the team was off to a 4-1 start...and even when it was bad and they were in a tailspin---was shocking. We had limited amount of phone calls after the games...and we hardly had any Rams' calls during the week.

Was it all Mike Martz?

Do we need a "love him or hate him" guy in charge for St. Louis to be talking football instead of which free agent the Cardinals will say they tried to sign in the winter?

Do we need to blow the roof off the Dome to bring life back into an NFL Sunday?

I could be wrong, but I think we could have a pretty damn good football team in town this year...but unless Linehan starts talking about "shooting and fixing" or Torry Holt goes topless in his driveway and does crunches, I'm not sure many people will be talking about the Rams during the week and unfortunately---whether it be for lack of interest or fear of an old bat/usher scolding---not many will be cheering them at the Dome on Sunday.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -07-27-2007 at 04:29 PM.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Re: Tim McKernan puts St. Louisians to shame

Lots of positive comments about the team. I get the feeling he is trying to stir up some people.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 1st & Goal View Post
    Lots of positive comments about the team. I get the feeling he is trying to stir up some people.
    That's exactly what he's trying to do here. It's McKernans MO really.

rams70 is offline Registered User

If he's saying the Rams need a T.O, I'll take a silent dome over that.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Seems like he hit it dead on to me ...

I was fortunate enough to get to finally attend a Ram's game last year after being a lifelong fan. Drive 14 hours to St. Louis to watch them take on the *****. I was so unbelievably excited, giddy as a little child actually ...

Got into the Dome after participating in some of the festivities outside, and got more and more exciting as it filled it. Then the Rams came out of the tunnel and I felt like I was at a spelling bee. Nobody even stood up, some clapped, a few yelled ... Pathetic actually ...

There was VERY little noise the entire game, until the end, when what I would say was a moderate celebration broke out. I was jumping up and down, looking to give out hi fives left and right, and people were looking at me like I was insane ...

The four season ticket holders in front of me arrived late and left early. The whole time they were there, they played Sokodu, talked on their cell phones, and talked about baseball ...

I listened to a woman to the right incessently complain about how Tye Hill hasn't improved one bit the "COUPLE OF YEARS" he has been here and how she was tired of him constantly running his mouth and getting into trouble. Yea, that confused the hell out of me too!

The guy to the left of me didn't even know who the backup QB was when Bulger went down for a couple of plays ...

The 500 seat basketball gymnasium I played in in high school puts the noise in the dome to absolute shame. You left that place everynight without hearing for 2 days and 90 minutes worth of goosebumps and chills ...

The article is right. The dome crowd is pathetic, the worst I've ever seen at ANY sporting event. My local AA baseball team fans get more excited than that ...

I hope it's different when I come this year ...

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

He's saying the Rams won't be there that much longer.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Here's whats really going on fellas. Your average NFL fan is a "band wagoner." If the team is hot they'll go out there make some noise and act like thet cared and suffered threw all the hard times, even though we know that they are full of it. We are the real fans, the ones who live and die with are team. Once the season starts getting close to the playoffs and the Rams actually have a good record. All of those so called fans will be out with their Steven Jackson jerseys and a big smile on their faces. The NFL is all about winning and it's time we start.

Keenum is offline Registered User

How about that Rams-Bears game this year, when it seemed the BEARS had the homefield advantage. Just pathetic. I wish I lived near St.Louis so I could go there and show some support in person.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    He's saying the Rams won't be there that much longer.
    you wish! St. Louis :l

The Dome was quiet during our 7 of 8 game losing streak last year. When your team's getting blown out there isn't much to cheer about. This isn't some sort of epidemic. I and many other ST LOUIS RAMS fans sat through four terrible years when they got here and I hate hearing this BS from people. It usually comes from LA fans too, jealousy perhaps? The Dome wasn't even packed with Bears fans when they were here. The rams fans were just dead silent, when you get two KICK OFFS returned for touchdowns it's pretty demoralizing. The Rams were dead from the start.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Here's whats really going on fellas. Your average NFL fan is a "band wagoner." If the team is hot they'll go out there make some noise and act like thet cared and suffered threw all the hard times, even though we know that they are full of it. We are the real fans, the ones who live and die with are team. Once the season starts getting close to the playoffs and the Rams actually have a good record. All of those so called fans will be out with their Steven Jackson jerseys and a big smile on their faces. The NFL is all about winning and it's time we start.
    I think you hit it pretty much on the head,some of the people that show up at the dome don't even know why they are there,they were given tickets,won tickets on the radio,made to go by a friend or just there to watch the cheerleaders.they could care less about football or the Rams,so I say to them "GET THE HELL OUT OF THAT SEAT AND LET A REAL RAMS FAN SIT THERE AND MAKE SOME NOISE".

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    you wish! St. Louis :l

The Dome was quiet during our 7 of 8 game losing streak last year. When your team's getting blown out there isn't much to cheer about. This isn't some sort of epidemic. I and many other ST LOUIS RAMS fans sat through four terrible years when they got here and I hate hearing this BS from people. It usually comes from LA fans too, jealousy perhaps? The Dome wasn't even packed with Bears fans when they were here. The rams fans were just dead silent, when you get two KICK OFFS returned for touchdowns it's pretty demoralizing. The Rams were dead from the start.
    Way to stand up & be heard helorm341, now lets hear at the games BE LOUD BE PROUD GO RAMS

Flaw is offline Registered User

You also have to keep in mind that St. Louis is Cardinal nation, it's a baseball town. The '99 Rams brought a lot of excitement and attention to football, but obviously that attention will wane along with the wins.

I get frustrated at work because nobody gets pumped up for the Rams like I do. I am completely psyched today because of tickets going on sale and the Bulger/Carriker signings and training camp, but there is nobody to share that excitement with here. I have to email my brother and use a bunch of !!!! to express it lol. Good thing I found the ClanRam forum, I feel the love here.

But as 1st & goal said, Mckernan is probably just trying to rile us up. I don't think you can call it being negative because this is to be expected in a baseball town. But I say come on fans, why can't we love them both (Cards/Rams)? I would like to see a little more love for the Rams.

In any case, I'll be screaming my head off September 16th at the dome!
    Last edited by Flaw; -07-27-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: I am anal about spelling

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

He claims to have been to Ram games @ the Dome, but he hasn't really paid attention to his surroundings. I for one have noticed a loud presence @ games in the Dome, something I never experienced when they played in Anaheim.

F him !
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I think you hit it pretty much on the head,some of the people that show up at the dome don't even know why they are there,they were given tickets,won tickets on the radio,made to go by a friend or just there to watch the cheerleaders.they could care less about football or the Rams,so I say to them "GET THE HELL OUT OF THAT SEAT AND LET A REAL RAMS FAN SIT THERE AND MAKE SOME NOISE".
    Well, Ive got 50 yard line seats for the **** game and my good buddy and I will be screaming our lungs out. So if your sitting in that section, be for warned.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Good, yell your brains out as the Rams beat the N***** 42-0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast