laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Is it time to change our strategy?

Interestingly enough when former "offensive coordinator" Scott Linehan took over as our Headcoach, we selected a defensive player with all of our first round picks. Tye Hill (2006), Adam Carriker (2007) & Chris Long (2008).

It seemed that Linehan's focus or the front office? I'm not sure which? Maybe both? Was on improving our defense through the draft and free agency.

Well we have failed miserably!!!!

Is it time to shift gears and go back to what made our team a playoff contender?

FOCUS ON THE OTHERSIDE OF THE BALL?

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Is it time to change our strategy?

Whether the focus is offense or defense, we need to fix the lines. They stink, and nothing else will function the way we want it to without good lines.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

eldfan is offline Registered User

I don't think it matters whether we focus on O or D we need people that can play. I love a strong D personally I think that is the way to go but if we don't pick the best players it want matter. I think with so many holes we should pick the best players available in the draft regardless of position. But we need some one who knows talent to do the picks.
    :ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I don't think it matters whether we focus on O or D we need people that can play. I love a strong D personally I think that is the way to go but if we don't pick the best players it want matter. I think with so many holes we should pick the best players available in the draft regardless of position. But we need some one who knows talent to do the picks.
    I agree that we have so many holes on this team that it will take alot of time to get us back to the promised land. Obviously we won't "focus" on one area of the team only. I just fell like if we can get our offense back to where the opposition feels threatened at any point in a game we would all be much happier. (Saints, Cardinals) With a high powered, high scoring offense at least we will be in alot of games to the very end despite our defense.

DistantRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    With a high powered, high scoring offense at least we will be in alot of games to the very end despite our defense.
    The obvious counter-argument is that if the defence concedes 30+ points every game, the offence is going to be under enormous pressure. It's swings and roundabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree that we have so many holes on this team that it will take alot of time to get us back to the promised land. Obviously we won't "focus" on one area of the team only. I just fell like if we can get our offense back to where the opposition feels threatened at any point in a game we would all be much happier. (Saints, Cardinals) With a high powered, high scoring offense at least we will be in alot of games to the very end despite our defense.
    I understand your point we use to be good on O and now we are bad on both sides of the ball.

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

good offensive and defensive lines make a good offenses and defenses. The best DB's in football usually play behind a good pass rush. The best RB's and QB's usually play behind a good o line.

So can our current lines develop into players or do we cut them loose and rebuild?

I see it like this... On the offensive side we need interior linemen. On the defensive side we need much better LB play. Everything on both sides of the ball get better from there.

RamOfDenmark Guest

It's an interesting idea for sure, we've spent a lot of first rounders on defensive players with almost nothing to show for it. Our defense today is perhaps the worst I have seen in my time as a Rams fan, and that's saying a LOT.

If we're going to be spending high picks on offense we should first get a LT, then QB, then WR as I see it. It does seem a little hopeless at times, when so many of our previous first rounders didn't really amount to what we thought they would.

Apart from Steven Jackson what other first round pick since Torry Holt in 1999 has actually succeeded? I say not a single one.

Mooselini Guest

Very interesting point. And this year we will most likely end up picking on the offensive side of the ball. Most likely an OT.

However we need to fix both lines (as mentioned before) and we did that by adding Long and Carriker. Carriker isn't 100% yet (I believe). We could add a few more situational players, but as of next year I think we will stick with the same starting line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    We could add a few more situational players, but as of next year I think we will stick with the same starting line up.
    God I hope not we have to make change up and down the D.