Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Time to forsake the donuts?

Adam Timmerman and Andy McCollum. Two good ol' big boys who have anchored the Rams interior O line for years. Has their time come?

Seems to me that the answer is yes. While I'm not certain that the trio of Richie Incognito, Brett Romberg and Mark Setterstrom is the long term answer on the inside, they certainly demonstrated the benefit of having younger, more athletic players at those positions.

In the three games that this trio started, the Rams' offense had the following averages:

Rushing Attempts/game: 37
    Rushing Yards/game: 171
    Yards/Attempt: 4.6
    Passing Attempts/game: 32
    Sacks Allowed/game: 1.7

While this is only based on three games (all against sub .500 teams), those are some pretty impressive numbers. Particularly if you factor in the absence of the Rams best O lineman, Orlando Pace.

So where does that leave the Donut Brothers?

Certainly, they would be more than capable back-ups, but you have to wonder if they are ready to accept that role. Also, if the Rams were to bring them back as backups, they would need to do so for minimal money, as there are a lot of bigger needs that need cap room.

So, it may be time to say goodbye to these guys.

If so, make sure you give them a big thank you and a baker's dozen on the way out.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Time to forsake the donuts?

I agree AV; I think that Setterstrom, and Cog have almost sealed the starting OG spots, the jury is still out IMO on Bromberg. I say bring Andy and Adam back, I think they are still under contract, and have them battle it out for the starting spots. I would like to see the Rams acquire a solid young center either thru the draft or via free agency.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Hey 68 with you all the way. I wouldn't say that I would take the brothers as starters anymore. But what great depth players, I also think we need to look for a young(er) center. Not sure who the choices are but I would say go FA because I just don't see a rookie giving the immediate pay off we will need next season.

I wasn't really saying that they would be starters, but, if by some chance they come back and win the job then........... There's not much out there as far as F/A centers. Maybe Andy wins his job back?

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

I think that McCullom is expendable, but not Timmerman. I think that Terrel is the guy who has a one way ticket out of town due to the fact that he hasn't got surgery yet has really pissed Linehan off apparently.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I think that you should all be stripped off your rams jerseys for having such thoughts. These are two guys who have played game in and game out. They have fought through personal injuries so that they can help take this team to the playoffs. These are self-less guys that everyone admires and looks at with great respect. These are the guys that you want to build a team around. And now you guys just want to let them go? That's just wrong. But I mean marshall goes down and wants to come back next year and everyone is willing to accept him with open arms. Timmerman and McCullom go down and are replaced and everyone wants to see them get cut. If I was running the show they would be playing until they didn't want to play any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I think that you should all be stripped off your rams jerseys for having such thoughts. These are two guys who have played game in and game out. They have fought through personal injuries so that they can help take this team to the playoffs. These are self-less guys that everyone admires and looks at with great respect. These are the guys that you want to build a team around. And now you guys just want to let them go? That's just wrong. But I mean marshall goes down and wants to come back next year and everyone is willing to accept him with open arms. Timmerman and McCullom go down and are replaced and everyone wants to see them get cut. If I was running the show they would be playing until they didn't want to play any more.
    DR D, it has more to do with time catching up to them then it dose with what they've done in the past. These guys have trouble making through games, they are not 22 anymore. All one needs to do is look at the production of the offense with Setterstrom, Cog ,and Bromberg to see that things have improved. Now if McCollum and Timmerman come back and win the starting job I'm all for it. But the reality is that they probably won't. They would make solid back ups though, and I don't think anyone is saying they should be cut. :l

And as far as Faulk is concerned, I think most on this board feel the Rams are just fine without him.
    Last edited by RAMMAN68; -01-03-2007 at 04:36 PM. Reason: I kant spll

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No offense, but I'm glad you're not running the show.

The Rams need to be looking forward, not back. Timmerman and McCollum will be 36 and 37, respectively, when next season starts. Plus, they're both coming off injuries.

Its time to get younger at these spots.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

:l quote=Dr. Defense;153654]I think that you should all be stripped off your rams jerseys for having such thoughts. These are two guys who have played game in and game out. They have fought through personal injuries so that they can help take this team to the playoffs. These are self-less guys that everyone admires and looks at with great respect. These are the guys that you want to build a team around. And now you guys just want to let them go? That's just wrong. But I mean marshall goes down and wants to come back next year and everyone is willing to accept him with open arms. Timmerman and McCullom go down and are replaced and everyone wants to see them get cut. If I was running the show they would be playing until they didn't want to play any more.[/quote]
    That sort of out-look wouldn't get you to far,this is pro-sports and sentiment doesn't have much room in this game! They have been great servants to the Rams organization but how long can they play? You can't tell,so you have to look at young replacements or else you would be stuck with a team full of dinosaurs!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtiger737 View Post
    ...What great depth players.
    To have those two superb donuts as backup OL in '07 would be Ramtastic! :r

True, they're not 22 anymore, not even 32. But their long tooth and reliability is, IMO, unquestionable (again, as part of our depth). No doubt Brett, Richie and Mark are an excellent foundation for a renewed OL; Adam Goldberg I think is in there too as a versatile G/T.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Rushing Attempts/game: 37
    Rushing Yards/game: 171
    Yards/Attempt: 4.6
    Passing Attempts/game: 32
    Sacks Allowed/game: 1.7

While this is only based on three games (all against sub .500 teams), those are some pretty impressive numbers. Particularly if you factor in the absence of the Rams best O lineman, Orlando Pace.
    Yes, those last three games where against teams that were awful, a combined 13-35. But two of those games were against good defenses; Oakland is 3rd ranked overall in yards per game; Minnesota is 1st (by far) in fewest rushing yds per attempt, per game, and for the season total. And, the Vikings defense was poised to set a single season record for fewest rushing yards allowed. But the Rams took them to school by gaining 168 yards on the ground and prevented the Vikings from setting the record. That's quite impressive, by my definition.

So I'm with you AR, it's time to move on to these younger guys...

general counsel is offline Registered User

i would like them both back for depth. i dont want the cap hit of NOT having them back. i would rather pay them and have the depth then pay them to not play cap wise. we are going to be very young on the line next year, the vet presence can help in the support roles.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    But two of those games were against good defenses; Oakland is 3rd ranked overall in yards per game; Minnesota is 1st (by far) in fewest rushing yds per attempt, per game, and for the season total.
    There's nothing that blows me away about Oakland's run defense. Their pass defense is good, but their run defense has not been impressive - ranked 25th in the league with 4 yard per carry average and 134 yards given up per game. Also tied for 23rd in rushing touchdowns allowed (not good) and was one of the worst teams in the league at recovering fumbles.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-03-2007 at 09:09 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

One of the worst teams in the at everything else too!!!!!!!!

Kane is offline Registered User

My first thought on this is that Andy and Adam my make the decision themselves by retiring. Regardless of what they decide, they are Rams legends in my book.

You don't discard experience just to get younger players in, unless you believe that they can do better. The O-Line may be youthful, but can it become good enough? I'm afraid I'm still not convinced by Barron, just because he went 2 games without a false start, and Incognito is WAY too prone to penalties to be considered an undisputed starter.

It would be great to have the Donuts back so that if Incognito starts next year, as looks likely, there is a large reminder to him on the bench that if he doesn't keep his head in the game there's a more than adequate replacement for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast