Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Time to give praise to Kevin Demoff

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Kevin Demoff is the St. Louis Rams’ Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Chief Operating Officer.

As for how anyone can't see that those comments were potentially insensitive (which doesn't suprise me especially in the society we live in), I'd like for you to come to my old neighborhood and try to give the drug dealers & gang members the vocabulary "lesson" shared here...it would be an interesting experience. Bottomline, this is a football thread not english class so let's just keep the focus on FOOTBALL. With that being said, I'll keep the comments football related from here on out.

Go Rams(LOL)

I asked my black girlfriend, she said there was nothing insensitive about it at all. Stop trying to make something out of nothing. In fact, i laugh that you said that "ebonics" is the politically correct term, which it really isnt. Its a really racist term made up of the words "ebony" and "phonics" and was used to try and make it seem that black people were talking a completely different language to white people. Which is just rubbish.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think my point was that you could have avoided all of this by merely responding to the topic without making a needless comment about MY word choice.

Wasn't that obvious?
    Or........... you (the Moderator) could've avoided it by just simply recognizing and acknowledging that we all have our own beliefs and opinions as well as the freedoms to express them whenever and however we choose, whether you or anybody else, agrees with them or not.

Surely you're not suggesting that I shouldn't have expressed my opinions/beliefs as I saw fit. Wouldn't that be some sort of violation or something? Wouldn't you be in contempt of court or something like that? Perhaps I should make a citizens arrest.

Anyway sir, if I choose not to "praise" a human being, that is my prerogative. Just as it is yours to do so if you wish (hence the phrase: "to each his/her own", for the third time in this thread).

I'm surprised that someone as educated as yourself would even take offense to this whole situation.

I guess it just goes to show that even Attorneys at Law are human.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -08-07-2009 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Moral of the story is: Calling out a lawyer on his choice of words is like taking a knife to a gunfight.

Good luck to you!
    Actually the moral of the story is, "praise" is a little to strong a word for a human being. Weren't you paying attention?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

But it isnt though...
    Your opinion is that it is too strong, common useage dictates that it is not.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Kevin Demoff is the St. Louis Rams’ Executive Vice President of Football Operations/Chief Operating Officer.
    Tell me more about this Demoff guy. What does the Executive VP of Football Ops do anyway?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I think "Praise" is a little to strong a word for a human.
    No, not in its most common form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    noun 1. the act of expressing approval or admiration; commendation; laudation.
    2. the offering of grateful homage in words or song, as an act of worship: a hymn of praise to God.

–verb (used with object) 5. to express approval or admiration of; commend; extol.
    6. to offer grateful homage to (God or a deity), as in words or song.
    As either a noun or verb, the first definition is quite appropriate for human usage. Of course, in its secondary usage, I would not want to use it. But that's in its secondary usage, which I assume, Avenger did not choose.

But hey I don't know his theology. Maybe he is a high priest in the Church of Demoff. Is that what you were assuming?
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Surely you're not suggesting that I shouldn't have expressed my opinions/beliefs as I saw fit. Wouldn't that be some sort of violation or something?
    Only if you were arrested or detained by the government for your opinion/belief.

Were you?
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

As for how anyone can't see that those comments were potentially insensitive (which doesn't suprise me especially in the society we live in), I'd like for you to come to my old neighborhood and try to give the drug dealers & gang members the vocabulary "lesson" shared here...it would be an interesting experience.
    So, the original poster made a racist comment because he questioned the acceptance of the slang word "props" as legitimate English because a black person may have used the word before?

Truly fascinating stuff.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    the freedoms to express them whenever and however we choose, whether you or anybody else, agrees with them or not.
    But, you see, you don't have that freedom here. For example, if you are of the opinion that I'm a #*%&#!, you most certainly do not have the right to express that opinion here "whenever and however" you choose. That would be against the rules here (and, for the I-don't-know-how-many-th time... this website is NOT subject to the First Amendment).

In your case, you chose to express an opinion that was entirely off the topic (which, for those of you who are having trouble remembering, is the performance of Kevin Demoff). For that, there was a consequence (in this case, I chose to make light of your statement).

So, in the end, you were "free" to make your statement, but not "free" to do so without consequence. If you don't like the consequence, then next time stay on topic.

But, you see, you don't have that freedom here. For example, if you are of the opinion that I'm a #*%&#!, you most certainly do not have the right to express that opinion here "whenever and however" you choose. That would be against the rules here (and, for the I-don't-know-how-many-th time... this website is NOT subject to the First Amendment).

In your case, you chose to express an opinion that was entirely off the topic (which, for those of you who are having trouble remembering, is the performance of Kevin Demoff). For that, there was a consequence (in this case, I chose to make light of your statement).

So, in the end, you were "free" to make your statement, but not "free" to do so without consequence. If you don't like the consequence, then next time stay on topic.

Well I fully accept the consequence (no matter how shortsighted) and stand firmly by everything I have said in regards to this matter. Not only that, but you should expect similar scenarios as long as I'm on this board.

That's a promise.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You like negative attention.

Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    But it isnt though...
    Your opinion is that it is too strong, common useage dictates that it is not.
    I think I've stated my position on that clearly enough.

I have also quoted the phrase "to each his/her own" for the 4th time now, and will continue to do so until each and every one of you who have a problem with what I've stated, get it.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -08-07-2009 at 01:24 PM.

You like negative attention.

Got it.
    Actually, I'm a middle of the road kind of guy, if you must know.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Only if you were arrested or detained by the government for your opinion/belief.

Were you?
    Who are you?

thoey is offline Registered User

Sheesh, isn't there some training camp stuff we could be talking about? Can't this thread die?
    This space for rent...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast