View Poll Results: What to do in light of Avery's injury?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign V. Jackson as our #1 receiver?

26 39.39%
  • Sign another player?

16 24.24%
  • Dont do anything rash, wait it out until the next draft.

19 28.79%
  • Our receiving corps is fine the way it is... what are you all talking about?

5 7.58%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Time to Make the Jump!!!!

stltoday.com
    Jeff Gordon
    8-27-2010

"...Now that Kroenke is clearly the man at top, will the Rams do something bold? Would this team deal for disgruntled Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson?
    The Seahawks earlier showed some interest in Jackson, who is threatening to sit out the entire season to get a new long-term contract to his liking.
    The Rams franchise has placed an enormous, record-setting bet on Bradford. He simply HAS to develop into a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback, to justify his contract and to elevate this team.
    In turn, this team must put him in a position to succeed ASAP. Right now, with Avery done for the year, it’s hard to see how that is possible."

I'm in agreement. I wasn't back when we were drafting Smith, but the time has come to make a jump, take a chance, be bold, and do something to take this team to the next level, this year.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -08-27-2010 at 08:26 PM.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

Re: Time to Make the Jump!!!!

I agree. Let's get him for a 2nd rounder in 2012.

The problem is his attitude. He Wants to be paid like a top 5 WR, and simply isn't.

Andre Johnson
    Fitzgerald
    Miles Austin
    Moss
    Marshall
    Welker
    Calvin Johnson
    Reggie Wayne
    Steve Smith (Car)
    Roddy White
    Colston
    Desean Jackson

Most of the above group, and probably all, are considered better WR's than VJax. He is excellent and deserves to be paid the average salary of a pro bowl WR, which he is.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

V jax and s jax sounds nice but he will miss three games and we need them all we can get.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

It boils down to cutting losses for the chargers and if VJax will come back to Earth with his demands.

If we can get the correct market value for him, whatever it is, you do it.

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

Let's take a moment to examine exactly what we lost Thursday. Avery is not yet a #1 reciever in this league. Last season it was Robinson leading our WR group until his injury and he's still healthy so we don't have to freak out here. Let's see who's available after cuts and in the meantime we'll see what we have in players like Gibson, Gilyard and Alexander.
    Last edited by JustinHasAnAxe; -08-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by The Optimistic Lamb View Post
    stltoday.com
    Jeff Gordon
    8-27-2010

Would this team deal for disgruntled Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson?
    The Seahawks earlier showed some interest in Jackson, who is threatening to sit out the entire season to get a new long-term contract to his liking.
    Is this really what we need? The guys suspended three games (possibly facing more) AND he's holding out? No thanks. I'd rather have someone else.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Alexanders not playing this year, that pipe dreams got to go.

I like him too, but no one at Rams Park is counting on him to do more than learn for another year.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

depends what it would take to get vj, but i doubt that happens. let's see who's available after the last round of cuts and go forward with gibson for now.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Avery wasn't a #1 receiver before he got hurt. We should have been searching for a #1 all along. I don't think we should wait and see who gets cut, I doubt we would find anyone much better than we've already got now.

We need to go out and find a receiver who can walk right in and be a playmaker. If that person is Vjax, so be it. If it's not, we need to get out the checkbook and keep looking.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

but who is available besides vj that is a true #1? it's not really as simple as getting out the checkbook on august 28, unless vj is available at a reasonable price we'll have to wait until next year to find that guy.

The Optimistic Lamb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    Avery wasn't a #1 receiver before he got hurt. We should have been searching for a #1 all along. I don't think we should wait and see who gets cut, I doubt we would find anyone much better than we've already got now.

We need to go out and find a receiver who can walk right in and be a playmaker. If that person is Vjax, so be it. If it's not, we need to get out the checkbook and keep looking.
    I believe Avery would have been a #1 receiver eventually. I just don't think he had the right Qb in Bulger, and I don't think Bulger had the O-line he needed. You could hardly blame Avery a year ago. Its my opinion that Avery's stats would have doubled with 2 years under his belt, Sam Bradford at QB, and a decent offensive line.

By no means has Avery peaked in his career. That being said, Avery is no longer with us, and he will be an unknown commodity when/if he comes back. That leaves us with next to nothing this year and its almost a certainty that more WR's will join the injury list. Bringing in more depth will not solve this problem, only a veteran will. I would like to hear of any other WR's on the market besides VJAX. But as it stands now, I only can conceive of one option.
    Last edited by The Optimistic Lamb; -08-28-2010 at 05:19 PM.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Guys guys guys where do you get that Jackson is some headcase? Since I live in San Diego I have seen Vincent Jackson around a few places around San Diego playing basketball at sdsu or at local bars in Pacific beach or in downtown and he seems like a down to earth Guy not a nutjob

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Hold on fellas! We are going to have a shot at a combo in 2011.... How about Bradford to Green or Jones.... Help will be here but not till next year... Just gotta buy some time....

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It's not just about signing VJax, you have to trade for him first. Is he worth a top 10 draft pick next year PLUS a contract valuing him as a top 3 WR? If he were a boyscout maybe but generally, this isn't how you rebuild a franchise.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

In my eyes it should be in light of Kroenke becoming the owner not in light of avery going down we should add Vincent Jackson. We never had a true number 1 WR. No receiver had more 100 yard games than V-Jax. He was the most dangerous deep threat in the game last year. Only DeSean Jackson had a higher YPC. With his size he is also a terror in the redzone Tide for fourth in TDS. I would probably pay him around what Brandon Marshall got.Ya we could wait for the draft, but its just adding another young receiver. We have the stability at owner I think we can pull the trigger. There is nothing this team needs more than a number 1 target in their prime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast