onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Talking Time for my early mock draft

I know it is early but I like to speculate on what the Rams should choose. This will change throughout the rest of the season, (NFL and college) but as of today, this is what I would like the Rams to choose:

1. Chris Long DE UVA

I really do not want any other prospect. I've been watching Howie's son and he is the real thing. He is 6'4 280 (looking at him, he looks more like 270; but he has huge calf). He is good in a 3-4 DE position but I think he is more of a 4-3 DE. When it was a passing down, UVA switches to a 4-3 alignment. Chris Long tees up and looks like he was shot out of a cannon. He is in the backfield before the QB get there.

I thought of Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips but they have been huge disappointment this year. I would not take any of them with a Top 5 pick.

2. Chris Williams OT Vandy/ Ryan Clady OT Boise St / Barry Richardson OT Clemson

Williams has improve leaps and bounds from last year. I watched him and he is solid. Can play LT or RT in the NFL.

Clady - I have not seen much of him this year but last year he was incredible. I have not read that he has sucked this year but if his performance is anywhere close to last year, I would take him.

Richardson - He is good. I hear he plays down to the competition but when he is motivated, watch out. I watch a little of him and he seems to keep the defender away from his quarterback. That is a big part of an OT job.

3. Josh Barrett DB Az St / J Lehman LB Illini / Lavelle Hawkins WR Cal / Tony Hills OT Texas

Barrett - 6'3 231 SS don't grow on tree. Having a down year but he still is good. I would like to see him lose 10 lbs and run around a 4.5

Lehman - This kid is good. Even though the Rams have bigger need, he might just be the pick.

The Hawk - The opposite side of DeSean Jackson. I expect him to be gone in the 2nd but if he slips down here, I would leapfrog him over the other two.

Hills - He is a high second round pick that will slip because of the season ending injury. He might be someone to look at ala when we drafted Incognito and put him on IR.

4. Joe Flacco QB Delaware / Marcus Griffin S Texas / Beau Bell LB UNLV / Heath Benedict OT/OG Newberry

Flacco - Let's face it Ferrotte sucks and need to hang it up. Need to draft backup QB with potential.

Griffin - Making name for him; probably be gone before this pick.
    Bell - Best LB/player in a long time on a very mediocre UNLV team.
    Benedict - His position is G in NFL. Might be a steal here.

5. Kendall Langford DL Hampton

I have a feeling about him. Better than James Hall. Can not get much film on him but some highlight reels make him look like an Adenyaju clone with a better pass rush.

6. Art Camody K Louisville

I am sorry Wilkins but it is time to move on and give some else a shot. You have served us well and you will be missed.

6. Korey Lichtensteiger C Bowling Green

I have never been sold on Romberg. I think this guy could be a good solid backup and maybe a starting C.

7. Owen Schmitt FB WVU

Let's face it, we have 5 TE; some masquerading as a FB. We should get someone to plow holes for Jackson/Leonard/Pittman as I affectionately call JLP.
    May not be here but if he is; not a bad value pick.

We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

keith m. klink Guest

Re: Time for my early mock draft

1-4-7 are right on in my book , LONG is my 1st rd pick at this time also , this kid FIACCO , much has been said , and i like this kid , i would like to see a breakdown film of his footwork , mechanics and release , but has quite an arm i hear . i have never seen him on tape or a game , and i love this SCHMITT character , 6-3" and 270lbs . can even catch and run a bit , i watch this kid blow holes away , and has some nasty-nasty attitude tward other teams . did ya see him beating himself in the head with his helmet after missing a block , FARKIN NUTTS .

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Schmitt is incognito if he was fullback with all the intensity, but more discipline

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Got to admit, I was sorry to see Hedgecock go. Only a couple starts into his career with the Giants and they've already locked him up with a 6-year contract. I think for all the talk of keeping RB's healthy in this league (and Linehan's talk of a power run/possession type offense, you have to consider a bona fide fullback as one of the roster's 53.

That being said, I haven't watched this Schmitt guy at all, but i'm already excited to learn more about him. Sounds like he could be a nice addition.

I wouldn't have thought this at the beginning of the season, but I don't think your take on getting a LB on the 1st day is too far off. I like the Rams starting LB's, but I'm gonna have to start whistling a new tune when it comes to some of their 2nd string. I've been supportive so far, but Chris Draft just seems to be missing a step and I fear has become more a liability than an asset. I understand the caution on Romberg, but Fry has looked pretty good considering his inexperience and I'd rather see the LB core improved than add another rookie to the offensive line.

Thanks for the early mock draft thoughts...

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Way to early to call a draft....

Besides I expect this team to go out fighting and we won't be in the top 5 for Long or long. You can take that to the bank. :-)

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

Besides I expect this team to go out fighting and we won't be in the top 5 for Long or long. You can take that to the bank. :-)

No!!!!!!
    I like Long. I want the Rams to pick Long. I just love his attitude towards the game.. I rather have 6 guys with limited potential but with great " I will leave everything on the field" attitude than 6 superstars who has the "its a game; if we win we win; if we lose we lose" attitude. Long is the all out type of guy with lots of potential.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Come on, Wraith. Don't be THAT guy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

denverram is offline Registered User

Come on guys lose for Long!!! We need this guy

Ram4Life83 is offline Registered User

Dont we need Jake Long more than Chris Long? We could be way ahead of the NFC West if we had a healthy line.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

i Like chris Long better, but i more excited about the second round DE prospects like Vernon Gholston. So i would take Jake Long even though it is very probable we fall out of the top 5. It would be interesting if we took Gholston and Long to rivals who will go at it in a rivalry game this weekend

keith m. klink Guest

KOAKOI , is right when he speaks of chris draft , i believe he did so good in caralina because of the d-line in front of him . as for some linebackers , i like MCGARRIGLE and CULBERSON , they both really go hard , not top draft picks , but those guy's that play with heart and for the love of the game .

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I would love for the first three rounds to happen.

I'm not worrying to much on the rest of the draft yet. Too far away!
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Very nice write up. Some thoughts...

ROUND ONE: Round one is fine, I think Chris Long is a solid selection to give us a young guy on the end of our line who can both get to the passer and stop the run. At this point he's the prospect I feel best about at that spot.

ROUND TWO: This long before the actual draft happens, it's almost impossible to grade mocks based on who you think will be available here or there simply because values can and will change so much.

That being said, in round two I think you're looking at either Williams or Richardson. I think Clady, a junior who has the option to stay another year, goes in the first round if he declares. Otah out of Pittsburgh could probably get a look there as well as an OT.

ROUND THREE: I'm going to be mildly surprised if those size numbers hold up for Barnett. If he's a legit 6'3" then he could get a consideration but he had injury issues going into this year and then continued to be bothered by injuries.

Regarding Lehman, I don't see the Rams drafting a middle linebacker on Day One simply because Witherspoon has had an outstanding season now that he actually has some guys in front of him who can take on blocks.

I think of your list, Hawkins is probably the best selection here. He seems to be a good mid to late Day One prospect at this point, though that could obviously change, but he's been productive both as a receiver and as a return man.

ROUND FOUR: Maybe a little high for Flacco and for taking a quarterback. The last Delaware prospect to be taken before the fifth round was Rich Gannon; in fact I believe he's the only one. Love that 6'6" size though.

I like Griffin in round four as a potential successor to Chavous at strong safety. He's great up at the line defending the run, but has to improve as a coverage player. But he's coming from a team that has featured quite a loaded defensive backfield in recent years, so I like him here.

ROUND FIVE: From a size perspective he may be a better fit as a 3-4 end or 4-3 tackle, but I also haven't seen or read much on him. Workouts will probably be where this guy really either makes a name for himself or disappears.

ROUND SIX: Carmody is a solid pick there. He's not displayed exceptionally good long range accuracy this season thus far but has been one of the better kickers through his time at Louisville. He was All-Big East and won the Lou Groza award last year.

ROUND SEVEN: I love Schmitt. Schmitt, Schmitt, Schmitt. But I'm not convinced he lasts this long. He's a punishing blocker, both in the lead and in line. Very good at angling his guy away from the play. Additionally he has solid experience as a receiver and runner. If he works out well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the fifth round. If we envision Leonard as a tailback rather than a fulltime fullback, then I'd love to get Schmitt on this team.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!