GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Time for Offensive line coach change?

Hello all, first time post here.

With all of the injuries to the offensive line do you think it may be technique? And if so, maybe it's time to axe the offensive line coach? When Jim Hanifan was O-line coach the Rams never had this many injuries. What do you all think?

Thanks!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Re: Time for Offensive line coach change?

Quote Originally Posted by GroundChuck View Post

With all of the injuries to the offensive line do you think it may be technique? And if so, maybe it's time to axe the offensive line coach? When Jim Hanifan was O-line coach the Rams never had this many injuries. What do you all think?

Thanks!
    Funny you should post this. This morning, a friend (also a Ram fan) and I were discussing the Rams and their problems and I brought up the Oline and coaching. I didn't attribute the injuries to poor coaching and technique, but the overall play of the Rams Oline, before and after all the injuries, has been suspect. It doesn't seem to matter who we plug in on the line, they seem to get outmanned, outmuscled, and outplayed by the opposition. It's strange that we can't find anybody to provide some protection on the line. I know we're using castoffs, and guys not familiar with the Rams schemes and blocking assignments, but what I've seen is pretty bad. Take Barron for example. The guy has all the physical tools, natural size and arm length to be a good tackle, but he continues to struggle. Is it heart? ...or is it coaching?
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by GroundChuck View Post

Thanks!
    http://www.stlouisrams.com/Team/Coaches/53041/

Paul has been coaching for over twenty years with a good deal of success. I think if the injuries were the result of some aspect of his coaching (a certain faulty technique), it wouldn't take 20 years to germinate. I have to believe that the plethora of injuries sustained by the O-line are simply bad luck.

Welcome to the Clan by the way !!

Boudreau’s (BOO-droh) offensive line in 2006 helped RB Steven Jackson gain 1,528 rushing yards, and QB Marc Bulger pass for 4,301 yards, both career highs. The offensive line accomplished this with 10 different players seeing action, with nine different players in the starting lineup.
    Boudreau served three seasons (2003-2005) as offensive line coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He has coached lines that blocked for eight 1,000-yard rushers, including Fred Taylor, Curtis Martin, Barry Sanders and Jackson.

In 2003, Boudreau’s unit broke the Jaguars’ record by allowing 28 sacks (tied for ninth in the NFL), including six in the final eight games. That season, Fred Taylor rushed for a team-record 1,572 yards.

Boudreau came to the Jaguars after two seasons (2001-02) with the Carolina Panthers. Under his tutelage, the Panthers set a club record of 31 sacks allowed in 2001 (tied for 11th in the NFL) after giving up 69 the previous season.

With the Miami Dolphins from 1999-2000, Boudreau’s unit helped pave the way for Lamar Smith to rush for 1,139 yards. The unit also surrendered only 28 sacks, tied for the fourth-lowest in the NFL.

Boudreau coached the offensive line for the New England Patriots from 1997-98. Boudreau was the offensive line coach for the Detroit Lions from 1994-96.

Boudreau’s first NFL position was with the New Orleans Saints from 1987-93. Overall, the Saints placed in the top three in fewest sacks allowed four times in Boudreau’s seven seasons with the Saints. In 1992 they allowed a league-low 15 sacks.

Prior to entering the NFL, Boudreau was the offensive line coach for the Canadian Football League’s Edmonton Eskimos from 1983-86 after a nine-year collegiate coaching career.

A native of Arlington, Mass., Boudreau was a letterman in football and baseball at Boston College. He and his wife, Joan, live in St. Charles, Mo. The couple has a son, Paul, and a daughter, Jill, as well as a grandson, Zach, and a granddaughter, Kalyn.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't blame the injuries on the offensive line coach. If anything, I would say it has more to do with offseason conditioning and lack of playing time in the preseason. Now, if you want to say the repeated mistakes by the offensive line like stupid penalities and stuff should be put on them, that I could understand.