Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Time to put up or shut up ....

for Alex Barron. I've been preaching the idea of moving him to left tackle for a few weeks now, and it seems that this is coming to fruitition.

Look, Barron is an incredibly talented athlete. One only needs to look at his chiseled frame and agility to see this. He can be physically dominate at the point of attack, he can easily get to the second and third levels of the defense, he truly has the skills to be a dominate force on the line ...

So, what are the problems?

Well, his mental lapses and what appears to be a lack of focus and intensity at times ...

But for the much maligned Barron, it's time to put the false starts aside, it's time to put the mental lapses aside, it's time to put the moments of getting whipped by inferior players aside, it's time to shine ...

There is no doubt in my mind that Barron will approach this season with a renewed focus - it's his turn to be the man. A young veteran who has a chance to become a leader, yes, a LEADER, on the offensive line, a very young offensive line, that has some potential to become dominant at some point. The elders are gone, the veterans are gone, and it is time for Barron to put up or shut up. It's time for him to earn his next contact, and his time is now ...

And call me crazy, but I've got a feeling he is going to make a statement, and a big one ...

Here's hoping that Mr. Barron arrives, and arrives quickly. Alot is at stake here ...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Time to put up or shut up ....

I agree with, but I think Barron's problem has been more of the bulll rush which he will see less of on the left side. I think that will boost his confidence and he will be more disciplined, because he won't be thinking about getting a head start on the bull rush.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

I agree on Barron.
    I don't think they released Pace to replace him with a rookie in round one, i think they did it to move Barron to LT.
    He can shine in this scheme, because for the first two seconds, he is dominant. This system is about quick passes.
    It's when the QB has the ball for three seconds or more that he struggles.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Now bring on big Phil 'Boonk' Loadholt!

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

One thing I Really HATE about the rams is that we are always trying to move a player from his rightful position. This is the same reason why Adam Carriker Hasn't become The BEAST I KNOW he could be. Because HE IS A FREAKIN DEFENSIVE END! Bartell broke out last year because we put him BACK at his rightful position!!!!. and the only reason we put him at safety in the first place was because he has size 6'1" 210 which was STUPID!!!....all this talk about if we draft CURRY put him in the Middle!, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Keep him at the same Position that would make us Draft him that early in the First place!!!!!! Duh!...Half of the players on the Team are playing out of Position....Another one: put pisa at safety ...WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some people are too funny. This is suppose to be organized football, Not High school football where you can play like five position at one time. while we're at it lets put Steven jackson at LB right! I mean because he is bigger than our current LB's
    Last edited by rams 24/7; -03-11-2009 at 12:41 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    It's time for him to earn his next contact
    You hit the nail on the head. This is why Barron is going to show up this year, just like other players who disappoint only to show up when they're in a contract year. Money is on the line, and sometimes money is the only way to motivate some people.

I agree that I think Barron will have an improved season in 2009, but I think it'll be because of the money he smells on the other side. He's never been a motivated guy, never been a leader. He's always needed that push. That's not suddenly going to change, IMO. But what will get him to play is the prospect of a new contract.

If he does come out of the gates in 2009, I really hope the Rams don't fall in love with him. Because he strikes me as exactly the kind of player who is going to flop after he signs his next deal.

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    One thing I Really HATE about the rams is that we are always trying to move a player from his rightful position. This is the same reason why Adam Carriker Hasn't become The BEAST I KNOW he could be. Because HE IS A FREAKIN DEFENSIVE END!
    In a 4-3? Going to have to disagree with you there.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I suppose we did draft Barron to eventually replace Pace, and that time is now. I have my doubts that he will be as good as Pace would have been, but hopefully he will get focused and used his physical tools. As much as my mind says its not gonna happen, my heart says he will succeed and the Rams will return to greatness.

HornIt is offline Registered User

I think this is exactly the reason you cut Pace lose as well. It's not just about cap savings, it's about opening up the position to find out what you have in the younger players there.

Pace was no longer any better than mediocre and his stock wasn't rising. Barron can be mediocre too with a chance to do better. And if they draft an OT early, he could get the shot there as a rookie as well and Barron can stay where he is.

It's reminiscent of the Bartell saga. They should have sent bong hit Fakhir Brown packing and found out about Bartell as a full time starter sooner. Had they, maybe they discover what they actually had in him earlier and get him extended sooner.

You can't be afraid to find out about the young players and let them play when the more expensive veteran at the position simply is not a good solution. That's how you end up keeping older players past their shelf life at exorbenant prices and lose or risk losing good, young players.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

" Time to put up or shut up.."
    Agreed Infiniti. I believe the same applies to Cog's as well.
    Last edited by eric2810; -03-11-2009 at 01:59 AM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Yep, it is time for both Barron and Carriker. Barron is moving to his natural LT position. Too bad the Rams won't give Carriker a chance at DE. Sorry Nick, but no one really knows if he can play the end in the pros because no one has given him that chance. I feel bad for Carriker. HUb disagrees with me but no matter what anyone says so far you can't convince he's a DT in a 4-3 either.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Yep, it is time for both Barron and Carriker. Barron is moving to his natural LT position. Too bad the Rams won't give Carriker a chance at DE. Sorry Nick, but no one really knows if he can play the end in the pros because no one has given him that chance. I feel bad for Carriker. HUb disagrees with me but no matter what anyone says so far you can't convince he's a DT in a 4-3 either.
    There is a reason you don't see 300+ lbs DE's in 4-3 regimes. Carriker is simply not quick enough to get off the edge and effectively rush the QB at this level ...

Maybe he's not a prototypical UT either. We'll see how he performs if he is 100% healthy this year ...

What Carriker is most suited for, in my opinion, would be playing DE in a 3-4 system at about 290-295 lbs ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    There is a reason you don't see 300+ lbs DE's in 4-3 regimes. Carriker is simply not quick enough to get off the edge and effectively rush the QB at this level ...

Maybe he's not a prototypical UT either. We'll see how he performs if he is 100% healthy this year ...

What Carriker is most suited for, in my opinion, would be playing DE in a 3-4 system at about 290-295 lbs ...
    I think he's probably best suited for DE in a 3-4 scheme too, but I also think he could get back down to his playing weight at Nebraska, which was about 285 lbs, and give it a go at LDE in the Rams 4-3. He might not provide a lot as a pass rusher, but he could help anchor the defense against the run there. And I believe you want your strong side DE in the 4-3 to be a stud vs. the run, which is why I think the Rams run defense has suffered for years now since they've played primarily with an edge pass rusher there. Your edge pass rushing DE should be your weakside DE IMO.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Exactly HornIt...Carriker has gained weight in order to fit the Rams scheme. He could easily get back down to his Nebraska days weight and play a DE. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Exactly HornIt...Carriker has gained weight in order to fit the Rams scheme. He could easily get back down to his Nebraska days weight and play a DE. Who knows?
    It's worth a try if they don't think he can work out as a 3 technique DT. But I think even if he stays at the UT position, losing a few pounds could help him. I think he got too big. He's a very strong, thick guy so I don't think he needs all the additional bulk. He could add a little quickness back by trimming down a bit and still be strong enough to hold up at the POA. Maybe play just under 300 lbs instead of at 310 or 315.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Noooooo!!! this post is turning into a Carriker is playing the wrong position post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast