1 5.88%
  • Both should be replaced

2 11.76%
  • Both should be kept...for at least a few more years

9 52.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RockinRam

Thread: Time To Re-Do the Interior O-Line Again?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Time To Re-Do the Interior O-Line Again?

Then: Jacob Bell was considered a highly touted guard going into FA several years ago, just steps behind Alan Faneca. Coming in with an impressive resume for pass blocking, we all though this guy would surely shore up some interior weaknesses.

Now: Has vastly under-performed to his expectations. Has glimpses and spurs of decency, but is not the pass blocking phenom we all thought he would be. Rarely shows push in the running game, and is usually playing undersized. Doesn't bode well when we try to play a power running game against bigger d-linemen. IMO, should be replaced in the next couple years, if not this year, with a bigger, younger and cheaper OG found through the draft.

Then: Jason Brown was the best center entering FA a few years ago. Was a tough, strong mauler in Baltimore, but also possessed good football knowledge and understood protection schemes and calls. He was an anchor for the Ravens O-line, and was expected to be our best O-lineman. At 6'3, 320lbs, we thought we finally got the big guy we needed in the middle to give Jackson some holes to run through.

Now: Brown has regressed, and has not performed to his expectations. From what I have seen from him, he is slow off the snap, seems sluggish, weak, and doesn't have the same mauling style he once had in Baltimore. Sometimes I question if his heart is really still into football, because I believe he is still going through a difficult time with his brother's passing. What is sure though is that although not immediate, consideration for replacing him with a cheaper and younger more athletic center should be placed.
    ZiaRam likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Time To Re-Do the Interior O-Line Again?

So the choice is being replaced now or in a few years? That's quite a big difference. IMO, we give them more time to gel and see what happens. Either way we obviously don't have better options as of now.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    So the choice is being replaced now or in a few years? That's quite a big difference. IMO, we give them more time to gel and see what happens. Either way we obviously don't have better options as of now.

To be more precise, what I mean is do we replace them after this season, or wait a few more years?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I say we keep them both, as long as Bell comes back for a reasonable price. I've come to accept the fact that every team will have a weakness. And if our weakness is having an interior offensive line that is allowing SJ to have 5.8 YPC and are all capable of another pro-bowl appearance, then so be it.

I dont want to get rid of one of them and have to waste another pick or more money in FA on a guard or center. We will never be good if we continue to do that. We need playmakers, swagger. In my opinion thats a bigger need at least.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

To me, the most distressing part of the Rams' play has been the performance of the offensive line, especially since management pumped a lot of money and effort into protecting Bradford. There is simply no visible excuse for their collective poor play. In a perfect world, every one of these guys would be shown the door- Saffold and Smith included.

I honestly don't know what you do. Since much has been invested in this unit, there's an obligation to try and make it work. I don't think we can afford to tear it down and start over yet again.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    To me, the most distressing part of the Rams' play has been the performance of the offensive line, especially since management pumped a lot of money and effort into protecting Bradford. There is simply no visible excuse for their collective poor play. In a perfect world, every one of these guys would be shown the door- Saffold and Smith included.

I honestly don't know what you do. Since much has been invested in this unit, there's an obligation to try and make it work. I don't think we can afford to tear it down and start over yet again.
    I agree, I do not think there will be wholesale changes on the O-line.? I think it will be more a case of
    firing this group up, particularly Jason Brown on the interior.? The Rams need more of a leader at C.!

richtree is offline Registered User

That and adding some depth late in the draft ...most good lines start with a foundation but have 2 or 3 key contributors on the bench ....we have no depth....

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    ...we have no depth....
    At any position.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Keep both for now, not sure if changing systems has affected some of there play this year but i think if they under-perform first half of next season then you cut your loses and maybe get some value in trading them out to a needy team.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I have to say the same thing as a few others have mentioned above , Many don't realized is a lot of the problem (besides the false starts) is the scheme and its new plus playing the best of the best the NFL has to offer , I agree we need to let them gel , Some of the best O lines have been together for a few yrs and under the same scheme , In a # of our games this year many have mentioned our O line has the talent to be one of the best in the NFL , lol All I'm saying that what the said lol and we have reasons for believing it . Take my word for it this line will once Gelled will do a good job .