Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Time to shut up about Shurmur and his "conservatism" ...

It's been said time and time again, but here it is from the horse's mouth. From Nick Wagoner today in his game wrapup:

One thing Spagnuolo did address Monday was the so called “conservative approach” of the offense at the end of the game and after jumping out to a lead. Spagnuolo said he often dictates the way that goes and he says the approach is based on the game and its ebb and flow. It just so happened that in Sunday’s game, he believed in his defense and its ability to get the job done.

“There may be another game going forward here where we’ll do it differently. That’s all on me. I’ll take the full “blame” if there is blame when you put it that way.”

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Re: Time to shut up about Shurmur and his "conservatism" ...

Agreed, Talent around Bradford other than Steven Jackson is at best a slot receiver and back up tight end. It is weird that some drives are crazy good looking, but sometimes they are predictable running twice in a row with a 2 possesion lead. But overall I do not think Shurmur has been that bad

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Spags wants the 1990 New York Giants, with Phil Simms marching the team downfield 4.2 yards per play to a Superbowl.

He wants the Jumbo Package.

I can wait.........

Now we need Lawrence Taylor (He has those "cancles") and then........Boom!
    Last edited by live4ramin; -12-27-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    Prepare to be amazed.

thermobee is online now Registered User

Finally. I hope people stop talking about this now.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

I agree that blaming the vanilla offense on Shurmur was misdirected, and I was one of them who felt he was responsible as the playcaller. But knowing that it's not Shurmur doesn't make the problem go away, it just makes someone else responsible for it. So perhaps instead of shutting up about it, we should acknowledge that we have a defensive head coach that wants to have significant input on the offense. This handicaps the playcalling and the offense and allows teams the ablility to climb back into games, and in some cases (as seen this season) come back and win them.

He clearly stated that he evaluates it on a game to game basis. And even if we dont like it, it still doesnt change anything. He is the coach thats his philosophy, we shouldve seen this coming when he got hired.

Its not like he is going back on his word. It was always run the ball and play defense. Whether you guys like it or not. I absolutely love it, I was always looking forward to the rams having a tough and resilient defense and a controlled offense.
    Last edited by thermobee; -12-27-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I agree that blaming the vanilla offense on Shurmur was misdirected, and I was one of them who felt he was responsible as the playcaller. But knowing that it's not Shurmur doesn't make the problem go away, it just makes someone else responsible for it. So perhaps instead of shutting up about it, we should acknowledge that we have a defensive head coach that wants to have significant input on the offense. This handicaps the playcalling and the offense and allows teams the ablility to climb back into games, and in some cases (as seen this season) come back and win them.
    Actually, I don't have a problem with what Spags is doing right now ...

I doubt there are very many offensive coordinators in this league that have a conservative bone in their body. It doesn't make sense. They are all creative, and if they had free reign, you would probably see all kinds of crazy things on a regular basis.

Right now, Spags has a very firm grasp on the players that he has. We have some nice players on this squad, but we lack depth all around. So what is the easiest way to remain in games when you are outmatched? Simple. Don't turnover the football ...

Young QB, young WR's, questionable offensive line. If you open up the offense too much, the QB is going to get killed, because as the risk level of the plays increase, so does the complexity, and intricracies that are required to be successful ...

As the defensive depth gets better, and Spags has even more trust in the defense, then I think you will see him get more flexible with what he allows in terms of offensive strategy ...

Spags has to manage the team and put them in the best position to win. At this point he is doing a great job ....

We have significantly better T.O.P. numbers this year than last, and it has made a difference on the defensive side. How many times last year did our defense just get too tired ...

I've wondered if this was Spags doing since very early in the season, and now I have confirmation. As the season has worn on, I have understood more and more ...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

We're not going to stop talking about "this", therm. We're going to be talking about this more and more. This is what defines this team. It's what Spags is and what he'll make this team to be from now until he retires or is fired. His legacy will be here years after he is gone. Once he establishes it; and he's just started.

We'll go from the playoff right into the draft. Will he pass on blockers in favor of tacklers? Will he pass on recievers in favor of linebackers? Will he go on fourth and short or will he punt?

You'll be posting then. It's the most interesting thing about the game. The philosophy of the coach and the character of his team. We're seeing it defined right now.

I'm impatient. Winning helps.

I can wait.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -12-27-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Prepare to be amazed.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    It's been said time and time again, but here it is from the horse's mouth. From Nick Wagoner today in his game wrapup:

One thing Spagnuolo did address Monday was the so called “conservative approach” of the offense at the end of the game and after jumping out to a lead. Spagnuolo said he often dictates the way that goes and he says the approach is based on the game and its ebb and flow. It just so happened that in Sunday’s game, he believed in his defense and its ability to get the job done.

“There may be another game going forward here where we’ll do it differently. That’s all on me. I’ll take the full “blame” if there is blame when you put it that way.”
    So can we get a hands-off approach out of Spagnuolo next season? Just as an experiment and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    So can we get a hands-off approach out of Spagnuolo next season? Just as an experiment and all that.
    I would expect that Shurmur and the offensive coaches will slowly convince Spags to move away from this grinding, up the middle, one man wrecking crew mack truck type of offense to a real deal Philly style WCO that progressively attacks the deeper levels of the field ...

I can only assume that Shurmur has the same general offensive philosophy that Andy Reid does. Spags is going to lend some ground to this eventually, or he'll have to find an offensive coordinator that meets his requirements ...

If it was truly up to Shurmur, I bet we'd throw 65% of the time ...

The past several weeks, I see 2 or 3 receivers on some of these plays getting into the 2nd and 3rd level of the defense on these routes. There is usually a short man dragging across the field. I think Spags is "suggesting" that Bradford use this as the first progression ....

There have been alot of 3 and out series that have two runs and a short completed pass. In Spags eyes, even these three and outs eat up to two and a half minutes or more off the clock. To a defensive coach, this could be considering a mild success, as silly as it seems ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -12-27-2010 at 07:42 PM.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i don't see how this makes anything better, i'd like to see an offensive coordinator with the balls to put his own stamp on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    i don't see how this makes anything better, i'd like to see an offensive coordinator with the balls to put his own stamp on this team.
    Seriously? Those types don't survive in this league ...

Any REAL head coach is THE boss man.

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    We're not going to stop talking about "this", therm. We're going to be talking about this more and more. This is what defines this team. It's what Spags is and what he'll make this team to be from now until he retires or is fired. His legacy will be here years after he is gone. Once he establishes it; and he's just started.

We'll go from the playoff right into the draft. Will he pass on blockers in favor of tacklers? Will he pass on recievers in favor of linebackers? Will he go on fourth and short or will he punt?

You'll be posting then. It's the most interesting thing about the game. The philosophy of the coach and the character of his team. We're seeing it defined right now.

I'm impatient. Winning helps.

I can wait.
    You are not tired of 3 to 5 threads after every single game about playcalling? Come on its a little over the top.

And just to be clear I am not telling anyone to shut up or tell them what to discuss, I just refuse to read those threads because they are so pointless and whats even worse repetitive as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Actually, I don't have a problem with what Spags is doing right now ...

I doubt there are very many offensive coordinators in this league that have a conservative bone in their body. It doesn't make sense. They are all creative, and if they had free reign, you would probably see all kinds of crazy things on a regular basis.

Right now, Spags has a very firm grasp on the players that he has. We have some nice players on this squad, but we lack depth all around. So what is the easiest way to remain in games when you are outmatched? Simple. Don't turnover the football ...

Young QB, young WR's, questionable offensive line. If you open up the offense too much, the QB is going to get killed, because as the risk level of the plays increase, so does the complexity, and intricracies that are required to be successful ...

As the defensive depth gets better, and Spags has even more trust in the defense, then I think you will see him get more flexible with what he allows in terms of offensive strategy ...

Spags has to manage the team and put them in the best position to win. At this point he is doing a great job ....

We have significantly better T.O.P. numbers this year than last, and it has made a difference on the defensive side. How many times last year did our defense just get too tired ...

I've wondered if this was Spags doing since very early in the season, and now I have confirmation. As the season has worn on, I have understood more and more ...
    Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    You are not tired of 3 to 5 threads after every single game about playcalling? Come on its a little over the top.

And just to be clear I am not telling anyone to shut up or tell them what to discuss, I just refuse to read those threads because they are so pointless and whats even worse repetitive as hell.
    These people that are complaining need to take a little time to understand. If they had opened it up from day one, and Bradford had 25 INT's right now, what would our record be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast