RamWraith is offline Registered User

Timmerman isn't happy

Rams release Timmerman, save $1.3 million in cap space.
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    02/27/2007

The youth movement is in full swing on the Rams' offensive line at the expense of Adam Timmerman.

Timmerman, a stalwart on the team's offensive line for the better part of a decade, was informed Monday by coach Scott Linehan that he was being released. Linehan also informed backup linebacker Dexter Coakley that he was being released.

"I told Adam we've just got to make a move with some of these players that were starting to emerge, and that at this point in his career he probably doesn't deserve to be a backup," Linehan said. "Our organization is indebted to him for his years of service. He helped a great offense. Got to a couple Super Bowls. He had a great run with the Rams."

The Rams were the NFL's losingest team in the 1990s when Timmerman was signed from Green Bay in free agency following the 1998 season. He was immediately inserted into the starting lineup at right guard and stayed there for the next eight seasons, playing in two Super Bowls, 10 playoff games overall and two Pro Bowls.

Timmerman played with toughness and athleticism, also displaying a willingness to play through pain. He compiled a streak of 204 consecutive regular-season and playoff games dating back to his rookie season (1995) with Green Bay.

But Timmerman missed all but one snap of the final three games of 2006 because of cracked ribs. The Rams won all three of those contests, with a young offensive line interior that included Richie Incognito at Timmerman's right guard spot. Incognito figures to open the '07 season as the team's starter there.

Timmerman said he was disappointed, but not shocked with the news of his release, which came in a brief phone conversation from Linehan.

"I figured there wasn't too much to hash through," Timmerman said. "It still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. But I guess it doesn't have to. I would've liked the opportunity to compete for a job (in '07), but that's obviously not in the cards."

Timmerman's departure leaves just seven Rams still under contract from the 1999 Super Bowl championship squad: Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt, Leonard Little, Andy McCollum, Orlando Pace and Jeff Wilkins. Faulk is expected to retire or be released before the start of the '07 campaign.

"We've loved St. Louis," Timmerman said. "Loved the people we met here. Hopefully, the people will remember who I am, and that's as more than a football player, as a Christian, and as someone who cared about other people, and cared about the community. We've definitely become attached to the community."

But Timmerman said he never felt embraced by Linehan and his coaching staff.

"I didn't feel that I was somebody they put much stock in, or that they cared that much about here," Timmerman said. "I don't know (why). It wasn't as if I didn't try to buy into the system."

Linehan took exception to those remarks.

"If that was the case, he wouldn't have started 13 games," Linehan said. "He did a very admirable job for us this year. This is the tough part of the business when you get guys that are at the end of the career. Very few get to go out like John Elway did."

Timmerman, dubbed one of the "Donut Bros." in St. Louis (along with McCollum), will attempt to find a job elsewhere in the NFL at age 35.

"From some conversations I've had around the league, I anticipate that there's going to be a lot of interest in Adam," said Mark Bartelstein, Timmerman's agent.

Releasing Timmerman saves the Rams $1.3 million in cap space. Similarly, releasing Coakley saves them $1 million. Timmerman was due a $200,000 roster bonus next month; Coakley was due a $525,000 roster bonus.

Coakley, 34, has been with the Rams for only two seasons. He was a starter in 2005 before suffering a season-ending leg and ankle injury in Game 12. In 2006, he finished with 37 tackles and two interceptions, working mainly as a backup, but starting five games in place of the injured Pisa Tinoisamoa. The Rams would like to re-sign Coakley to a reduced contract to back up Tinoisamoa.

"Under the right circumstances, for sure, I'd love to have him back," Linehan said. "He understood his role and executed it perfectly for what we asked him to do."

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Timmerman isn't happy

Timmerman, get over it. Your 35 years old and didn't do a good job while you were in there, we had youth step up and do better than you. It happens, your not getting that $1.3mil big deal.
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Timmerman, get over it. Your 35 years old and didn't do a good job while you were in there, we had youth step up and do better than you. It happens, your not getting that $1.3mil big deal.
    I don't know that he's causing a big stink, is he? He'll sign on somewhere else, and finish his career in the next couple of seasons. It's just not that big a deal, is it?

Personally, I would have liked to keep him around as a backup, but this way he gets an opportunity to find a starting job elsewhere. Best of luck to him, and thanks for his time here.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Rams fan 16, you are so way out of bounds it is beyond belief. separate thread coming.'

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams fan 16, you are so way out of bounds it is beyond belief. separate thread coming.'
    I have to agree with that GC. I'm sure he's not happy, but he is a class act. I'm sure he knew this was coming sooner or later, it's a business and these things happen. He help us clim the mountain in 99 ans play great for the most part, best of luck too you.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-27-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Country is offline Registered User

It is simply about saving money and getting younger. Richie makes less and is younger.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I don't know that he's causing a big stink, is he? He'll sign on somewhere else, and finish his career in the next couple of seasons. It's just not that big a deal, is it?

Personally, I would have liked to keep him around as a backup, but this way he gets an opportunity to find a starting job elsewhere. Best of luck to him, and thanks for his time here.
    I concur with your assessment Hub.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

keith m. klink Guest

it shows that ramsfan16, is only 17 years old , and has had such a short time as a rams fan! if he would have known the teams of the 70's that turned into the mess that was the mid to late 80's, ans 90's, that timmerman helped make this team respectable again, and you can't buy that with all the money on your payroll. money doesn't make a team. high class people like adam do, you my friend will learn this when you grow into a man, which i hope will happen for you, to learn and respect what elders bring to you.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    it shows that ramsfan16, is only 17 years old , and has had such a short time as a rams fan! if he would have known the teams of the 70's that turned into the mess that was the mid to late 80's, ans 90's, that timmerman helped make this team respectable again, and you can't buy that with all the money on your payroll. money doesn't make a team. high class people like adam do, you my friend will learn this when you grow into a man, which i hope will happen for you, to learn and respect what elders bring to you.
    great post Keith,respect for your elders has gone the same path as loyality,there just isn't any in sports anymore,young kids don't understand these concepts,look how there young role models act on the field when they score a td or for that matter make a single tackle,would Jack youngblood pound his chest or dance after a sack,not in a million years,hopefully when ramsfan16 grows up he will appreciate the older rams players like we do.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

It's a shame that it happens this way more often than not, but bottom line it is a business. Timmerman had an excellent run with this team during the GSOT, but all good things must come to an end. His dedication, hustle, & Warrior attitude on the O-line is what we can only hope for in future linemen. I wish Timmerman nothing but the best in his future in & out of football.:l

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It really is too bad that he didn't feel appreciated this last year, but I can't argue with the decision. Timmerman is past his prime, and we've got a lot of needs to address with whatever cap room we can find.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    That is way off base and very insensitive. First, nobody, and I mean nobody, likes to be fired regardless of job or pay.

Second, he and his family have made a home in the St. Louis area and have given alot of themselves to the community. Now the roots of their existence are being shaken. An NFL reality? Yes. Less painful to the kids with established friends? No.

Didn't do a good job? He started 13 games and a number of them with 3 cracked ribs. It would hurt like hell to sneeze with such an injury, let alone play in the NFL that way.

The GSOT is gone, but Timmerman was one of the people protecting Warner so that he could lead us to a Super Bowl win. In my mind, that counts for something. An offer to restructure would have been nice.

The bottom line is this - I feel your post minimizes the efforts of a guy that played with heart. I know you are only 17, but man, don't hate on a Ram player, or ex-Ram player that has given so much to the team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]