RamWraith is offline Registered User

Tinoisamoa hopes to find a way to play

He's dealing with hand and elbow injuries
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa takes pride in being able to play through injuries, but overcoming both a broken left hand and a dislocated left elbow have proven a real challenge.

"You've heard the expression trying to play with one arm behind your back, I mean it's pretty much that," Tinoisamoa said. "It can be difficult at times, but as a professional you have to learn to adjust."

Tinoisamoa has been listed as questionable for the Rams' game against the Kansas City Chiefs at noon Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. He was in uniform, but didn't play in the Rams' 38-24 loss to the San Diego Chargers last Sunday.

"It looks like he has a better chance than last week," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "He was able to get in a certain amount of plays today. He didn't have any contact. The swelling is down. He doesn't seem to have the same pain that he had last week."

Linehan said that Tinoisamoa won't be having surgery on the hand. On Monday, Linehan had said surgery was an option.

Tinoisamoa said he has been trying to find a cast that feels comfortable on the hand that he broke in practice last week. He has been wearing a brace on his elbow since early in the season.

"We have different casts we're still trying out, trying to figure out which is going to help me be more effective," Tinoisamoa said. "We're still tweaking some things, but that's our goal to get it right for this weekend."

Tinoisamoa said the cast that he favors is a smaller, less bulky one.

"Kind of a boxer style where the fingers don't move too much," Tinoisamoa said. "That was our thing, keeping it stable."

Many players wouldn't even attempt to play through such injuries, but Tinoisamoa doesn't give it a second thought.

Asked about his bravado, Tinoisamoa said, "I don't know what bravado is, but I have a lot of pride."

Tinoisamoa said the notion that he has some superhuman pain tolerance wasn't true.

"That's not true at all," Tinoisamoa said. "I think that's totally misunderstood. It hurts. I'm human, but I just choose to play rather than not play."

Bad news for friend of Linehan

Linehan was disappointed to hear Michigan State had announced Wednesday that coach John L. Smith would not return next season.

Smith was one of Linehan's mentors.

"I'm really sorry to hear about that," Linehan said. "I know these things happen in this business, and we all know it has happened to a number of coaches, if not every coach that has been in this business for a long time.

"He's a great coach, he's a great person, he's a great mentor. He hired me three times."

Smith gave Linehan his first coaching job as the wide receivers coach at the University of Idaho in 1989.

Smith brought Linehan back to Idaho as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 1992 and then hired Linehan as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at the University of Louisville in 1999.

"He has always been there for me," Linehan said. "I feel bad about it. I still have a couple of friends on that staff as well.

"He'll land on his feet. He'll be working somewhere else. Somebody will hire him if they're smart because he's a great coach."

Quick hits

Rams wide receiver Isaac Bruce now ranks in the Top 10 in the NFL in both career receptions and receiving yards. He's 10th in receptions with 845 and 10th in receiving yards with 12,721.

"I'm just honored to be part of it," Rams quarterback Marc Bulger said of Bruce's career numbers. "I don't know how many yards I've thrown for him, but maybe one day we can look back when people are taking about the great receivers on NFL films, and I'll be throwing him some stuff."

Tight end Aaron Walker was listed as probable on the Rams' injury report because of illness. Walker was on hand for the early portion of practice the media is allowed to attend.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Tinoisamoa hopes to find a way to play

I think it hurts Pisa more to sit out and not play, than it does to play with injuries. Hopefully the medical guys are able to protect his hand for this week's game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bruce4life is offline Registered User

we need pisa to plat badly. he just brings that emotion and pride to the rams defense that we desperately need

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I bet if Pisa had his way he'd have been out there playing against the Chargers despite all the injuries. It was probably a good thing the coaches kept him out to hopefully heal just a little bit before they let him loose again.