RamWraith is offline Registered User

Tinoisamoa switch to safety never got off ground

R.B. FALLSTROM

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - After last season, the St. Louis Rams considered moving Pisa Tinoisamoa from linebacker to safety to shore up a needy position.

Tinoisamoa's reluctance to switch kept the idea from really getting off the ground.

"It was something we were going to try out but it just didn't work out," Tinoisamoa said Sunday at the final day of the team's three-day minicamp. "I was pretty uncomfortable. At first I was more than willing, but after further review I thought it wouldn't be the best thing for me to do."

Tinoisamoa, a second-round pick in 2003, started every game last year despite dislocating his right shoulder in the season opener. He wore a brace most of the season and estimated the shoulder popped out eight times.

Tinoisamoa underwent arthroscopic surgery in early March on the shoulder.

"It's good right now," Tinoisamoa said. "It's a lot easier when you don't have pads on."

The Rams have added a lot of depth at safety since the end of the season, signing free agents Michael Hawthorne and Michael Stone, and drafting Oshiomogho Atogwe and Jerome Carter. Mike Furrey, a wide receiver last year, also is moving to safety.

-----

BULGER VS. WARNER: Quarterback Marc Bulger doesn't seem to mind the prospect of facing Kurt Warner, a two-time MVP with the Rams, twice a year.

Warner, who signed with the Cardinals, has been named the starter.

"I was just happy he got another opportunity," Bulger said. "That's what he wanted. He knew he wouldn't be in New York and we play half the teams every other year, so I figured it'd be a team we play eventually."

Bulger said he and Warner speak occasionally.

"Every now and then," Bulger said. "Once every three weeks, four weeks, or whenever one of us is in the news, we get ahold of each other."

-----

TIGHT END CLOUT: Roland Williams, back for his second tour with the team, has quickly assumed a leadership role in the locker room. He was the player representative for the Oakland Raiders the last few seasons and hopes to be elected to that post with the Rams, who were represented by Torry Holt and Tyoka Jackson last year.

He takes the responsibility seriously. Williams' short meeting with coach Mike Martz after Saturday's 2 1/2 hour morning practice led to the second workout getting canceled.

Williams had been seeking more time for players to shower before afternoon meetings.

"I asked him for a slight modification in the schedule," Williams said. "But Mike thought we were doing so well he decided to reward us."

Williams, who was previously with the Rams from 1998-2000, has impressed Martz on the field, too, with his route-running.

"He's always caught the ball real well," Martz said. "What he's doing now that he couldn't do as well is he's running a lot better, and he looks faster than when he was here before."

-----

TRAINING CAMP HOME:
    After nine years training in Macomb, Ill., the Rams announced earlier this year that this year's camp would be conducted at Rams Park.

Martz said Sunday he wants to make that permanent. He said holding camp in Macomb, a three-hour drive north of St. Louis, wore out players and coaches driving back and forth.

"If I felt it was just going to be a one-year deal, I'm not sure it's worth doing," Martz said. "I think we have to approach it like it's going to be a yearly deal.

"Like I've said before many times, if we're going to go to camp, Macomb to me is the only choice. I think just the wear and tear on everybody is going to be different, coaches and players alike."

To help the fields last through the summer, the Rams will tear out the grass after three days of organized team activities next week and install new Bermuda sod.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Tinoisamoa switch to safety never got off ground

I Was Able To Travel To Macomb Last Year For Camp And I Really Liked It,it Is Very Far Out Of The Way,so I Suppose This Is A Good Thing For The Players And Coaches And Now Rams Fans Can Go To Camp More Often.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    I Was Able To Travel To Macomb Last Year For Camp And I Really Liked It,it Is Very Far Out Of The Way,so I Suppose This Is A Good Thing For The Players And Coaches And Now Rams Fans Can Go To Camp More Often.
    I too was there, and for those who have never been before...you have to go. It was the best time my family has had on vacation in...well ever.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

BULGER VS. WARNER: Quarterback Marc Bulger doesn't seem to mind the prospect of facing Kurt Warner, a two-time MVP with the Rams, twice a year.
    Will someone explain to me why he would care? I'd think Bulger would be more concerned if Little was starting for Arizona. Why would he even care who the QB is? Just another example of a slow news day, and a "reporter" trying to pick at an old scab.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod