• 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Richbert88
  • 1 Post By Truck

Thread: Tipsheet: Experts rave about Rams draft

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Tipsheet: Experts rave about Rams draft

37 minutes ago • By Jeff Gordon

The Rams traded up in the first found and got the one big offensive playmaker in this NFL Draft, explosive wide receiver Tavon Austin.

Then they traded down and still got a high-impact outside linebacker for the defensive side, Alec Ogletree.

All in all it was a splendid first day for Jeff Fisher, Les Snead and the rest of the Rams organization. Austin lacks size and Ogletree had some serious off-field issues in college, but each player adds speed to a once-plodding squad.

Here is what the independent experts had to say about all this:

Don Banks, SI.com: “While I agree the Rams gave up quite a bit to go up eight spots and land West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin, that's what a team with two No. 1 picks can do if it has a conviction about a player, and St. Louis loved it some Tavon from day one of this NFL draft season . . . Austin was one of the few offensive playmakers in this draft, and he's just what the Rams needed with the loss of receiver Danny Amendola in free agency. The Rams offense is built to play fast in their dome, and Austin gives St. Louis a weapon who should be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. Clearly, the NFC West is where it's at in 2013. With the Rams' moves -- they also took Georgia linebacker Alec Olgetree at No. 30 after trading down from No. 22 with Atlanta -- the division is even more of a three-team race this season. Don't forget, St. Louis beat both San Francisco and Seattle last season, going 4-1-1 in the NFC West. With the acquisition of Austin, the Rams took a step toward combating the height that Seattle cornerbacks are known for. The Seahawks like their cornerbacks tall, but they might not be able to find the vertically-challenged Austin. And to think St. Louis has another pair of first-rounders to play with again next year, thanks to last March's Robert Griffin III blockbuster with Washington.”

John Clayton, ESPN.com: “General manager Les Snead pulled off one of the slickest moves of the draft by trading up to No. 8 to select West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Monday he didn't have a problem taking a 5-foot-8, 175-pound receiver. With rules in place to protect defenseless receivers, small wideouts can survive in the middle of the field. DeSean Jackson has proved that in Philadelphia. He came out of college weighing less than 170 pounds. Fisher did say that a small receiver needs a tall quarterback or he won't be seen. The Rams have Sam Bradford, who is 6-foot-4. Bradford now has the quickness of Austin along with the deep speed of Chris Givens, plus other young, talented receivers. The other break for the Rams was having linebacker Alec Ogletree fall to them at No. 30. He's a tackling machine.”

Clark Judge, CBSSports.com: “Smart man, that Les Snead. The Rams' GM outmaneuvered the New York Jets to choose Tavon Austin, and now, folks, you get to see what the Rams have in Sam Bradford. Finally, mercifully, they have a playmaker for their quarterback.”

Mike Tanier, Sports on Earth: “Colleges produce plenty of quick, nimble receivers who can catch the ball in space, but only a handful have true potential to become Percy Harvin or Wes Welker types: receivers who do more than catch 40 passes per year and return punts, instead becoming offensive focal points. Tavon Austin is so reminiscent of Harvin that it is hard to come up with another comparison. Like Harvin, Austin was used as both a rusher and receiver in college: his quickness and elusiveness were so valuable that coaches wanted to do more than just hand him the football on end-arounds once in a while. Like Harvin, Austin’s size and durability are issues, though Austin has held up well in two seasons as a starter. Harvin entered the NFL as something of a square peg: there were few spread-option principles in use back then, and not as much of a sense that a wide receiver could contribute by getting multiple carries per game and an extra-steady diet of receiver screens. Austin enters an NFL more amenable to his services, thanks in part to Harvin.”

Nate Davis, USA Today: “Ogletree has caused some headaches off the field, but he can also create quite a bit of havoc on it. He should immediately line up next to MLB James Laurinaitis and should roam freely behind a D-line that already features three first rounders. And this is yet another classic case of Jeff Fisher (and Snead) rolling the dice on a player who broke the law (DUI) and team rules while with the Bulldogs. St. Louis' gamble on CB Janoris Jenkins in 2012 has panned out nicely so far.”

Peter Schrager, FoxSports.com: “Ogletree . . . is a converted safety with terrific athletic ability. Jeff Fisher has a history of taking guys with character red flags (see Janoris Jenkins, Adam Jones and Albert Haynesworth) and he took a ballplayer. The Seahawks and ***** have dominated headlines all offseason. Very quietly there has been a third team in the NFC West loading up, too. With the addition of Jake Long and Jared Cook in free agency and now Austin and Ogletree, the Rams are not to be overlooked in 2013.”

Adam Schein, NFL.com: “The St. Louis Rams, who were on the move up and down through the draft, had a great first day. Tavon Austin is the home-run hitter they needed to team with quarterback Sam Bradford -- this was a great pick. Alec Ogletree, meanwhile, is a potential problem child, but he's also a stud. Rams coach Jeff Fisher knows how to deal with and maximize players with potential character problems. I'll bet Ogletree dominates under Fisher.”

Chris Burke, SI.com: “With the St. Louis Rams losing Danny Amendola this offseason and standing shy on talent at wide receiver, they made the move for the home-run threat. This is phenomenal news for Sam Bradford, as well as the rest of the offense — Austin commands defensive attention, so he can open things up just by being on the field. The trick now will be finding creative ways to get Austin the football, a job that will fall on offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Is Austin undersized? Sure. Will he win jump balls or dominate in the red zone? Probably not. But in terms of natural playmakers, he’s elite in this year’s draft. The Rams might have taken Ogletree at 22, had a trade with the Falcons not presented itself. St. Louis headed into the draft shy on talent at the linebacker spot, and Ogletree, who played inside in a 3-4 at Georgia, appears to fit best as a rangy outside linebacker. The Rams may opt to use Ogletree as their strongside ‘backer, a spot vacated with St. Louis thus far opting not to re-sign Rocky McIntosh. Ogletree’s speed, particularly in pursuit of ballcarriers, makes him a nice project there. He also started his college career as a safety, meaning that he should be more than capable of handling coverage responsibilities out of that slot.”

MYSTERIES OF THE UNIVERSE

Questions to ponder while wondering when the Rams will get around to adding help at safety:

How hard is it to keep up with all your draft picks when you start trading up and down?

How should a NFL draft prospect prepare for a long night in the green room while not getting drafted?

So what's up with Ziggy Ansah's eyewear?

MEGAPHONE

“If we can develop this guy, he has the talent to take you to the dance. This guy was further along than most of them as far as his knowledge of the game . . . This guy, to us, has got leadership qualities. He's smart. And he's big.”

Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix, after drafting Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel.
    evil disco man likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Tipsheet: Experts rave about Rams draft

So what's up with Ziggy Ansah's eyewear?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he just pop the lenses out of a pair of 3-D movie glasses? I think I even read "real 3-D" on the arm of the glasses during one of his closeups.
    VegasRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

That's 8 professionals that know a heck of a lot more than 1 amateur (me). I suppose that makes me feel a little better.

A little.
    viper, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You should only wear glasses like that if you're employed by The Daily Planet.
    ZiaRam and citr92 like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

There was a college football beat writer commenting on the pot smokers. Basically his answer was "they all do it, some of them just get caught". I'm not worried about the pot w/ Ogletree. The problem is I wonder how smart he is (stealing a motorcycle helmet???) and that DUI right before the combine isn't smart at all. Let's get this kid some guidance and mentoring. Bring in Leonard Little to talk with him, have Ray Agnew meet with him routinely and Chris Long needs to watch him.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    37 minutes ago • By Jeff Gordon

The Rams traded up in the first found and got the one big offensive playmaker in this NFL Draft, explosive wide receiver Tavon Austin.

Then they traded down and still got a high-impact outside linebacker for the defensive side, Alec Ogletree.

All in all it was a splendid first day for Jeff Fisher, Les Snead and the rest of the Rams organization.

Here is what the independent "expert" had to say about all this:

Don Banks, SI.com: With the acquisition of Austin, the Rams took a step toward combating the height that Seattle cornerbacks are known for. The Seahawks like their cornerbacks tall, but they might not be able to find the vertically-challenged Austin.
    Hey, I love the fact that the so-called experts are giving our franchise big props for our 1st round draft picks. However, let's get real here. Unless the 8th pick in the draft Tavon Austin came with a couple tubes of "Make Yourself Invisible" cream I believe the Seahawks secondary will have no trouble finding him. Neither will the rest of the NFL.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but did he just pop the lenses out of a pair of 3-D movie glasses? I think I even read "real 3-D" on the arm of the glasses during one of his closeups.
    From the Detroit Free Press:

It wasn’t a fashion statement so much as it was America’s first glimpse at the fun side of Ziggy Ansah.

Ansah, a defensive end out of BYU whom the Lions took with the fifth pick in Thursday’s draft, wore a pair of black 3D glasses without any lenses as he walked across the stage at Radio City Music Hall.

He said he acquired the glasses “a long time ago,” after watching the movie “Thor” at the theater. Apparently, they’ve been a favorite accessory of his during his time at BYU.

“That’s my identity, kind of, at BYU,” Ansah said.

A native of Ghana whose mother came in from Africa for the draft, Ansah said he “had a lot of people dare me to wear” the glasses Thursday, including BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall.

“I just did it so he could smile right now,” Ansah said.

Two years ago, when the Lions took Nick Fairley with the 13th pick, Fairley wore a pair of black-rimmed glasses as part of his draft-day outfit. During his introductory news conference the next day, Fairley said he doesn’t wear prescription lenses, and the glasses were just for style.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You should only wear glasses like that if you're employed by The Daily Planet.
    Or if you take a vow of celibacy.
    Semper Fi!

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    There was a college football beat writer commenting on the pot smokers. Basically his answer was "they all do it, some of them just get caught". I'm not worried about the pot w/ Ogletree. The problem is I wonder how smart he is (stealing a motorcycle helmet???) and that DUI right before the combine isn't smart at all. Let's get this kid some guidance and mentoring. Bring in Leonard Little to talk with him, have Ray Agnew meet with him routinely and Chris Long needs to watch him.
    I want the picture of his 1st arrival at Rams Park as a Ram. I imagine JL, Long, Finnigan all there to greet him before he steps through the door. "Come with us ..... we have a few things we need to discuss with you.'
    lostsoul likes this.
    Semper Fi!

Truck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Didn't he say he would bring a new dimension to whatever team drafted him, I think he was playing that up.
    lostsoul likes this.