Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1

Thread: Tipsheet: Rams could make noise at WR (Jeff Gordon)

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Tipsheet: Rams could make noise at WR (Jeff Gordon)

BY JEFF GORDON | Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012

Chad Ochocinco has joined his buddy Terrell Owens on the NFL’s unemployment line. The Patriots quietly severed ties with the relentless self-promoter, leaving experts to speculate about what might be next for the artist formally known as Chad Johnson.

Naturally, some Rams fans took to the Internet to beg Jeff Fisher and Les Snead to summon the loudly entertaining Ochocinco to Rams Park — where quarterback Sam Bradford has a mostly young and largely unproven group of wide receivers to play with.

Ochocinco would make the team more interesting, no?

But last season Ochocinco, 34, caught just 15 passes for 276 yards and a touchdown in New England. Word is his inability to master the intricate New England playbook was a bigger detriment than declining skill.

The addition of former Ram Brandon Lloyd, among others, led to Ochcocinco’s exit. He departed despite taking a massive pay cut through a contract restructuring. Lloyd reunited with former Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniel and has dazzled the Patriots in OTAs.

As for Ochcocinco, his ideal landing spot would be Miami. He makes his offseason home in South Florida and he is currently filming a reality TV show there with his fiancée. The Dolphins agreed to be the subject of the “Hard Knocks” show and HBO would love to add Chad to that cast.

Another possibility: The Jets, where coach Rex Ryan is determined to create the largest sideshow possible in the Big Apple. Imagine a scout team featuring both Tim Tebow and Ochocinco.

“The name that keeps coming up as a suitor is Jacksonville,” wrote CBSSports.com columnist Mike Freeman. “That's the odds-on favorite, at least according to people around the league. I don't see that either. The other is St. Louis. That's where I think he ends up.”

Really? Tipsheet would love that.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Tipsheet: Rams could make noise at WR (Jeff Gordon)

We need to do ourselves a favor and stop this insanity of thinking we should entertain the idea of obtaining every "name" receiver who gets waived or outwears his welcome elsewhere. I guess I understand the inquiries given our less-than-stellar production at the wide receiver spot the past two seasons, but we ARE NOT getting Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Ochocinco, Michael Irvin, Lynn Swann or anyone else who isn't currently playing and had their heyday in the past. We weren't even players in the Vincent Jackson or Brandon Marshall sweepstakes when it would've made sense to land a guy of that ability; why would we waste our time on these retreads, each of whom is past being relevant?
    mde8352gorams likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

What a waste of time money and effort even talking about these guys...

Jeff Gordon is making assumptions that fans would actually want either of these guys....

An article like this makes me lose respect for Gordon and Freeman because they are just guessing with no hint of proof.....

Face it...Rams already have one old guy (Steve Smith) that they are taking a flier on, and there won't be any more...

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

i want TO over ocho though.. TO still has it in him...

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post

Jeff Gordon is making assumptions that fans would actually want either of these guys....

An article like this makes me lose respect for Gordon and Freeman because they are just guessing with no hint of proof.....
    BY JEFF GORDON | Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012

Chad Ochocinco has joined his buddy Terrell Owens on the NFL’s unemployment line. The Patriots quietly severed ties with the relentless self-promoter, leaving experts to speculate about what might be next for the artist formally known as Chad Johnson.

Naturally, some Rams fans took to the Internet to beg Jeff Fisher and Les Snead to summon the loudly entertaining Ochocinco to Rams Park
    — where quarterback Sam Bradford has a mostly young and largely unproven group of wide receivers to play with.

Ochocinco would make the team more interesting, no?

But last season Ochocinco, 34, caught just 15 passes for 276 yards and a touchdown in New England. Word is his inability to master the intricate New England playbook was a bigger detriment than declining skill.

As for Ochcocinco, his ideal landing spot would be Miami. He makes his offseason home in South Florida and he is currently filming a reality TV show there with his fiancée. The Dolphins agreed to be the subject of the “Hard Knocks” show and HBO would love to add Chad to that cast.

“The name that keeps coming up as a suitor is Jacksonville,” wrote CBSSports.com columnist Mike Freeman. “That's the odds-on favorite, at least according to people around the league. I don't see that either. The other is St. Louis. That's where I think he ends up.”

Really? Tipsheet would love that.
    Jeff's comments are delivered with more than a hint of sarcasm, so he gets a pass - can't say the same for Freeman though, as his speculation appears to have emanated from his backside .. I found it amusing so I posted it, seeing as this is one of the slower segments of the offseason.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    What a waste of time money and effort even talking about these guys...

Face it...Rams already have one old guy (Steve Smith) that they are taking a flier on, and there won't be any more...
    Smith is only 27, six years in the NFL his in his prime. IF he has recovered we may have got a steal well see... your right he is flier.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Jeff Gordon should go back to driving in NASCAR. Oops, wrong Jeff Gordon, that's right the NASCAR one has a brain!

My guess is until we see the performance of Brian Quick, Steve Smith and Chris Givens on the field, every nut-job who thinks he knows a little about football will be sending the Rams an over-the-hill WR. Of course my assumption is that the 3 WR's named will be good/great for us. Let's hope.

Go Rams!