r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Tipsheet: Rams Get Chance To Supplement WR Corps

Tipsheet: Rams get chance to supplement WR corps

BY JEFF GORDON
    Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Rams have spent four valued draft picks on wide receivers in two years, adding Austin Pettis, Greg Salas, Brian Quick and Chris Givens to their so-called passing “attack.”

So this franchise hasn’t been linked to former Baylor wide receiver Josh Gordon, whose fall through college football’s cracks has made today's NFL supplemental draft interesting. Maybe, just maybe, one team will like Gordon enough to forfeit a 2013 second-round pick to grab Gordon now.

Many teams seem interested in him as a third- or fourth-round selection.

(Here is how the NFL supplemental draft works, from NFL.com: "Each team is given the opportunity to submit a bid on any player who is eligible for the supplemental draft. If interested, a team will send the league office an email with the round in which they would like to select a particular player. The team that submits the highest bid is awarded the rights to a player. If multiple teams submit bids in the same round for the same player, the league will apply a weighted lottery system (performed immediately before the supplemental draft) to determine which team is awarded the player.")

Gordon has the rangy build (6-foot-3, 224 pounds) that scouts love and 4.5 speed to go with it. CBSSports.com listed the Browns, Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles, Colts, Dolphins, Panthers, Saints, Chiefs and ***** as the teams showing the most interest in him.

Here is the Gordon story:

He last played at Baylor as a sophomore. The school suspended him in 2011 when he tested positive to marijuana use.

“Leaving Baylor was the hardest thing,” Gordon told the Houston Chronicle. “I’d get up in the morning, turn on ESPN, and there they were, some of my best friends doing such great things. They did exactly what we believed we were capable of doing when I was there.”

He decided to transfer to Utah. He sat out the 2011 season per NCAA rules and trained on his own. Then he considered a financial hardship transfer to the University of Houston in his hometown.

“Everything I thought I had, everything in front of me, just went down the drain," he told the Chronicle. "I didn’t want to stop chasing my dream, so I transferred, sat out the season and worked as hard as I could to start from scratch.”

Instead, Gordon opted for the supplemental draft, a little-used vehicle designed for collegiate casualties like Gordon and former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor, who went to the Raiders the third round last year.

“I'm more than grateful just to have the opportunity to play for anyone who would pick me, or if that didn't work out, anyone who would sign me as a free agent,” Gordon told CBSSports.com. “I'm more than grateful for a chance.”

The Rams have big plans for their 2013 draft. And coach Jeff Fisher seems happy with his 2012 WR picks, since he added size (Quick) and speed (Givens) to his mix.

But wouldn’t this be a great time to add still another potential playmaker to the mix? You know how Rams fans are answering that question today.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Tipsheet: Rams Get Chance To Supplement WR Corps

10 teams have shown the most interest..which reads to me 10 teams have shown interest.
    making it sound like Jerry Rice is up for grabs...is he really that good?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Tipsheet: Rams Get Chance To Supplement WR Corps

Gordon went to the Browns, who picked second in every round after the supplemental draft lottery. The only team picking in front of the Browns were the Bills. The only way the Rams could have got Gordon would have been to surrender a first round pick in the draft.

Yeah... NO THANKS