RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

'Tis early, but barring injuries, here's a POTENTIAL opening day roster ...

Just wanted to see what it looks like on paper. I don't even know yet, because I am doing this on the fly.

Let's assume the following:

1. No significant injuries
    2. Rams cut/trade Pace
    3. Rams cut/trade Holt
    4. Rams move down in draft and select T Andre Smith (Alabama) as he slips significantly, despite a great pro day performance. Draft James Lauranitis with extra pick to play the middle.
    5. Tye Hill is able to pull it together

Offense

QB - Marc Bulger
    RB - Steven Jackson
    FB - Mike Kerney
    LT - Alex Barron
    LG - Jacob Bell
    C- Jason Brown
    RG - John Greco
    RT - Andre Smith
    TE- Randy McMichael
    WR1 - Donnie Avery
    WR2 - Keenan Burton

Defense

DE - Chris Long
    UT - Adam Carriker
    NT - Clifton Ryan
    DE - Leonard Little
    WLB - Will Witherspoon
    MLB - James Lauranitis
    SLB - Chris Draft
    CB - Ronald Bartell
    CB - Tye Hill
    FS - O.J. Atogwe
    SS - James Butler

I don't know, but seemingly looks much, much better than last year. A young team that learns on the fly, should easily pull 5-6 wins. If players develop rapidly, could get 8 or more. Have two shots at LT here. Either Barron pans out, or you plug in Smith over there. It's up the air as to the draft picks, but hey, I pulled something out my hat ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -03-09-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Re: 'Tis early, but barring injuries, here's a POTENTIAL opening day roster ...

Quote Originally Posted by McKnight View Post
    I can't say I agree with us drafting andre smith after what he pulled at the Combine. But I believe In 2nd chances so I guess I'm on board with it. that roster looks way better than last years.
    Well, he's my take on making a move on a guy like Smith ...

Sure, he's young and dumb, but he didn't get caught smoking dope or beating his girl. He has alot to prove in order to restore his character. Let's see how his pro day looks. When NFL coaches get a hold of him, his attitude will change ...

He is probably the most talented OT in the draft, and has world's of potential. I'm not really sold on any of the other guys. They all seem like a bunch of good to very good offensive tackles, but worth signing at the #2 spot and locking up all that money? I don't think so ...

Remember Robert Gallery? BAD BAD tackle, very good guard, but a very expensive one ...

You grab an Andre Smith maybe between #8 and #16, you pay much, much less. Worst case scenario, you have an excellent guard on your hands, a very good RT at minimum. And you've paid alot less. I'd be willing to tie up #8 money in a guard, but no way do I tie up #2 money in any of several LT's that don't stand out as spectacular ...

Call me crazy, but I think we will regret drafting a potential LT at #2 this year ...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Who exactly do you see trading up and why?... IMO there is a verry little chance of that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Who exactly do you see trading up and why?... IMO there is a verry little chance of that happening.
    Who knows? If I knew that kind of info, I'd probably be working for one of the NFL teams ...

As I mentioned, all hypotheticals man ...

Aussie Dave is offline Registered User

i'd be very happy with a.smith and laurinaitis as our first two picks but i very much doubt it could happen.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

We won't get both smith and laurinaitis but it was a good shot. On paper this team is better than last years team, but we still have the same issues on defense as the D-Line is not strong at the point of attack, we still need to improve our D-line.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

id hate to get Smith, and im not fond of trading back that far

by trading back you are assuming that there will be a tackle still there when we pick, when all the good prospects could be gone

also, if you use first round picks on Andre Smith and James Laurenitis, i have a feeling they could be massive busts, and it will be 2001 all over again

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    id hate to get Smith, and im not fond of trading back that far

by trading back you are assuming that there will be a tackle still there when we pick, when all the good prospects could be gone

also, if you use first round picks on Andre Smith and James Laurenitis, i have a feeling they could be massive busts, and it will be 2001 all over again
    Hence why Andre Smith is a great pick if he can be had in the #8 to #16 range. He might flame out at LT, but this guy is a pro bowl caliber guard from day one ....

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RI
    Rams move down in draft and select T Andre Smith
    You had me up to that point. I'm good with everything else, but I just don't see how DeSpags is going to give Smith a 2nd look at this point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You had me up to that point. I'm good with everything else, but I just don't see how DeSpags is going to give Smith a 2nd look at this point.
    We've got personnel at the Alabama Crimson Tide pro day starting tommorrow, this CONFIRMED by one of the booster websites ...

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    We've got personnel at the Alabama Crimson Tide pro day starting tommorrow, this CONFIRMED by one of the booster websites ...
    I would certainly hope so.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod