Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikhal5569

Thread: Titans & Rams Post Game Thoughts A Fans Perspective

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Titans & Rams Post Game Thoughts A Fans Perspective

I've had the chance to watch the Rams Titans game a few times and I thoughtI would share a few thoughts on some things that stood out for me.

First off, this exactly the kind of game the St.Louis Rams needed. Seriously,it’s not exactly one of those games that’s a blast to watch, but if one takes astep back from the emotional aspect of the game and looks at the bigger picture,you will find that this is exactly the type of game that will benefit the Ramsthe most in the future. This type of game is important because, the coaches, theplayers, the media as well as the educated fan base of St.Louis, all walk away fromthis game feeling like it was a loss and not an actual win. That is because allof the said people are smart enough to realize that preseason football isn'tabout winning and losing, it's about evaluating the talent level on the team. Inthe Rams case, just as it is with many other teams, it’s also about trying toslowly incorporate a new system. Now, with that being said, it is important toremember that the St.Louis Rams did indeed WIN the game. Make no mistake, whatappears to be a meaningless preseason game still goes down as a win, and thiswin will eventually be yet another small building block in a young rebuildingteams journey of learning how to WIN GAMES. It's often said that teams learnthe most when they lose games which carries a lot of truth. All I'm saying is,that the Rams get the benefit of learning from the areas where they were deficient,but didn't have to lose the game.

Now, despite winning the game, the Rams got gouged in two key areas, the rundefense and in pass protection. Run defense has long been known as a weaknessfor this team, and up to last year pass protection was a major area of concernfor the Rams, just ask Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. IMO, these two areas werejust begging to be exposed. But, if you’re going to have your teams weaknessesexposed, preseason is when you want it to happen. I'm going to start by evaluatingwhat happened with the pass protection.

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, LG Jacob Bell did not play and LT Roger Saffoldleft the game in the second quarter with a back injury. This resulted in HankFraley starting at LG with Goldberg replacing Saffold in the second. At firstthings didn’t appear too bad with Fraley at LG. That is until I noticed onwatching replays that the Titans weren’t blitzing him very often and as amatter of fact, he literally just sat there looking lost and dumbfounded onmost plays. When Goldberg entered the lineup in the second to replace Saffoldwas when things really got ugly. Adam was completely out played by whoeverlined up in front of him and Hank was literally getting knocked down and pushedto the ground or to the side on almost every single play.

Hank Fraley does not deserve to be on this team! He has absolutely zeroupside and was an embarrassment on the oline.

Goldberg is actually a serviceable utility man and plays decently enough atguard, so why wasn’t he (Drew Miller or anyone else) starting at LG when theRams have a solid tackle in Foster? Sam Bradford deserves his share of blamefor constantly failing to recognize the blitz as well.

In terms of the defense and thecomplete lack of run containment.

I did not like the starting LB corethe second they flashed the names on my laptops screen. Diggs, Laurnitus andKehl. Kehl seemed to be decent enough and was trying to make plays. Laurnituswas his usual outstanding pro bowl caliber self, seemingly in on every play.Diggs was simply nowhere to be found. Diggs and Kehl are the same two linebackerswho couldn’t stop the run last year, but yet there they were with the startinglineup again. Poppinga and Ziles among others were brought in to help with therun defense and it was frustrating to see them missing in action. The DL appearedto have better penetration against Tennessee’s Oline than I originally thought,but still not enough. So far, this unit appears to be much more suited for passrushing than run stopping, but most of my blame goes directly to the LB core.

A few last random thoughts andobservations to think about since this is getting a little too long.

*Ron Bartell is playing like aveteran CB going through the motions and needs to step it up.

*Josh Hull played much better inthis game and has shown potential to be a good back up MLB.

*Britt Miller is a keeper.

*I like the safety Atchison despitegiving up the TD in game one (probably spelled wrong.)

*I do not like the CB Dinkison. IDKhow much he suits Spagg’s typical CB mold.

*The interception was MSW fault notSam Bradford’s. MSW had to extend for the ball, but got both hands around itand simply did not make the catch.

* Overall Bradford looked moreaccurate this game. I’m actually starting to wonder if he is the type of playerwho elevates and lowers it his game based on the opponents he’s playing.

*Norwood’s knee’s really scare me.I watch how he runs and he normally flops to the ground as soon as he makescontact with a defender. This was particularlytrue in game when he had a few big gains early.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Titans & Rams Post Game Thoughts A Fans Perspective

One quick note. Do to the length of this review, I decided to use Microsft Word for the original write up. The Clanrams editor apparently did not like my choice of font and or the length of the article and decided to bunch a lot of the words together. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause when trying to read it.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -08-22-2011 at 11:01 PM.

One last thing, if you want a good laugh google Britt Miller. Apparently the name is spelled "Brit" my bad, lol.
    RuffRams likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The corner you don't think fits Spags' type is Dione Dinkins, you had Dinkinson ahah a comibnation of Dinkins and Atchinson. Also Tim Atchinson is a CB not a safety.

Yes your right, Dione Dinkins is the guys name. I'll admit he looks the part, but that's about it. He seems to be fraigile, (he came out briefly with a minor injury in the first game as well) and he just seems to be out of place far too often. Like I stated Atchinson has look pretty good to me. He had a nice jam on Gonzalez in the redzone and generally looked to be pretty tight in coverage. I'm not sure why I put him down as safety? (probably read it somewhere) But, your right good call. I'm still hoping that the coaches look to the wires for another CB, they're going to need the depth.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Yes your right, Dione Dinkins is the guys name. I'll admit he looks the part, but that's about it. He seems to be fraigile, (he came out briefly with a minor injury in the first game as well) and he just seems to be out of place far too often. Like I stated Atchinson has look pretty good to me. He had a nice jam on Gonzalez in the redzone and generally looked to be pretty tight in coverage. I'm not sure why I put him down as safety? (probably read it somewhere) But, your right good call. I'm still hoping that the coaches look to the wires for another CB, they're going to need the depth.
    Yeah the first game Dinkins got shook up 2 or 3 times. Those little bumps and bruises are affecting him every here and there. I like both him and Atchinson, but going up against slot WR's and starting WR's not so much. I am really hoping Al Harris can revive himself and play some solid slot, or someone can step up (Justin King). If not, we may have to go out and acquire a veteran player. Maybe thats why we got rid of Chris Massey.