Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Titus Young Claimed By Rams Off Waivers

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Titus Young Claimed By Rams Off Waivers

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    From a skill standpoint alone, Young would be a very good insurance policy against the possible loss of Danny Amendola.
    This is the first thing that came to mind for me.

If the light turns on for this guy, watch out.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Cost: Negligible. If he makes the team, he's playing on a Round 2 rookie contract.

Potential Benefit: He has as much talent as any WR on the roster.

From that standpoint, its a "no brainer."

Also, even after this move, the Rams have only 4 WRs under contract: Young, Pettis, Quick and Givens.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-05-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I really don't know much about this guy. Well, tbh, I thought he was a pure reach when the Lions took him in the second round but no matter. Does anyone have an accurate scouting report on Mr. Megatron ll?

I know he is supposed to be fast and all; but, of course, there are a lot of guys that fit that description every draft cycle. Is there anything this guy does ( besides cold cocking his fellow teammates) that would help us to define him as a football player and not yet another insufferable punk?

Heh!! Do I get the "Most Positive Post" of the day award now?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I think he was first round talent that got knocked down to the 2nd round because of off-field issues.

If he can get his head screwed on straight I think he will immediately become the best receiver on our current roster.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Also he's 22/23 years old. I'm not going to speak for everyone but a lot of us were knuckleheads at that age. I'm not excusing his behavior, rather stating it's something that could improve and usually does for most people.
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. It takes a special kind of jerk to intentionally sabotage your team by lining up at the wrong spot. That's not being a knucklehead, that's being a petulant little... word that, if I were to use it, would force me to edit my own post.

Still, this is a low risk move - the Rams can simply cut him if he continues to act a fool - with the potential for high reward if somehow he gets it together. I'm not a fan of his, but I agree with Av that it's nice to see the front office being proactive to try and address the need.

Rambos is offline Registered User

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

The Rams are bringing along young receivers in 2012 draft choices Chris Givens and Brian Quick. Adding a volatile young talent to the mix would seem to carry some risks. But the Rams can always release Young if the situation appears headed in the wrong direction. They're in the business of adding talent at receiver by any means necessary. They have a strong head coach, Jeff Fisher, who hasn't been afraid to draw a hard line with players, including when he benched Jenkins and Givens for a big game at San Francisco.

Young was the 43rd player chosen in the 2011 NFL draft. He caught 48 passes for 607 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie. He caught 33 passes for 383 yards and four scores this past season.

Young ranks ninth in receiving yardage (990) among players drafted in 2011. Six players drafted lower than Young have more receiving yardage.

Still, Young clearly has talent. As a rookie, he caught 14 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown on third down alone. That's an 18.3-yard average.

richtree is offline Registered User

The best part of this is that we can use Titus as leverage against Danny and Gibson -- also makes Quick and Givens feel the need to work hard (extra)

Lets be honest -- Titus Young is wearing his NFL career thin but the Rams could use any energy on offense. This may be his last chance to play in the NFL, because if he can't play for Fisher, he can't play for most. I would say 75% chance he doesn't get through all 16 games w/o issues, but Fisher can hold the power from day 1 over his head....

Lets just pretend he isn't on the roster, and anything from him is an added bonus..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Sando View Post
    They're in the business of adding talent at receiver by any means necessary.
    Except, y'know, actually paying for a top one in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    The best part of this is that we can use Titus as leverage against Danny

"Good luck with that!"
    Judaxi and Ramendola16 like this.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I never really looked at Titus so I'm gonna watch some tape. We can use all the help we can get at WR.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Austin Pettis chimes in:

Austin Pettis‏@Austin_PettisCongrats to TY for becoming a part of #ramsnation #boise looking forward to the 2013 season and a new beginning.
    Rumors that Young will join Janoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan in recording a cover of the classic, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood," are unconfirmed.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Rams were only team that wanted Titus Young
    Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2013, 5:35 PM EST

For the Rams, Titus Young’s talent trumped the trouble he’s been known to cause. For the NFL’s other 31 teams, he wasn’t worth the headaches.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today first reported, and PFT has confirmed, that the Rams were the only team to put in a waiver claim for Young today.

When the Lions placed Young on waivers, every NFL team had the opportunity to put in a claim for him, and there’s really no cost associated with having him: If he causes problems or just doesn’t look like a good fit with the team, you can cut him at any point before the start of the regular season without taking a financial hit.

That would seem to make him a tempting player to claim, because Young is a talented receiver: He was a starter for most of his first two seasons after the Lions took him in the second round of the 2011 NFL draft, and he caught 81 passes for 990 yards and 10 touchdowns in 26 games. A 23-year-old who has the proven ability to produce in the passing game like that doesn’t become available very often.

But the risk with Young is that he’ll cause real problems for a team: Young wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill problem child, the kind of guy who shows up late to practice or falls asleep in meetings. Young’s issues included punching a teammate at practice and purposely lining up in the wrong place during a game because he was mad that the Lions’ coaches weren’t calling plays in which he was the primary receiver. A player like that can really damage a team.

So Rams coach Jeff Fisher is taking on a real risk by acquiring Young. A risk that 31 other coaches didn’t want to take.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I really don't see a down side here. If he keeps his nose clean and makes it through the preseason without any problems, he's a bargain, if he acts up, he gets cut. I've always loved Young's game, going back to Boise State, but his behavior has indeed been troubling.

If anyone can make this work, it's Fisher.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Rams were only team that wanted Titus Young
    Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2013, 5:35 PM EST

For the Rams, Titus Young’s talent trumped the trouble he’s been known to cause. For the NFL’s other 31 teams, he wasn’t worth the headaches.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today first reported, and PFT has confirmed, that the Rams were the only team to put in a waiver claim for Young today.

When the Lions placed Young on waivers, every NFL team had the opportunity to put in a claim for him, and there’s really no cost associated with having him: If he causes problems or just doesn’t look like a good fit with the team, you can cut him at any point before the start of the regular season without taking a financial hit.

That would seem to make him a tempting player to claim, because Young is a talented receiver: He was a starter for most of his first two seasons after the Lions took him in the second round of the 2011 NFL draft, and he caught 81 passes for 990 yards and 10 touchdowns in 26 games. A 23-year-old who has the proven ability to produce in the passing game like that doesn’t become available very often.

But the risk with Young is that he’ll cause real problems for a team: Young wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill problem child, the kind of guy who shows up late to practice or falls asleep in meetings. Young’s issues included punching a teammate at practice and purposely lining up in the wrong place during a game because he was mad that the Lions’ coaches weren’t calling plays in which he was the primary receiver. A player like that can really damage a team.

So Rams coach Jeff Fisher is taking on a real risk by acquiring Young. A risk that 31 other coaches didn’t want to take.
    I think that's a good thing for the Rams, let the kid know he has to grow up fast or he will be out of the NFL.

The fact that he does come with issues does not concern me... the Lions have a few players that are having on and off the field issues. He may be a product of his environment, not saying he will not have to grow up fast, but he will be in a better locker room then he was with the Lions IMO.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hey, Richie, do you have any thoughts on this guy?

Incognito: That dude is f&#@$d up in the head!

Well, thanks for that assessment.

What do I know? I thought Jenkins was a bad idea.
    TekeRam, gap and sosa39rams like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Dude had 9 catches for 100 yards and 2 TD's this year against the Seahawks. I saw the game and he was driving Brandon Browner nuts all afternoon... a sign of things to come perhaps?