Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Titus Young Claimed By Rams Off Waivers

rampower is offline Registered User

Titus Young Claimed By Rams Off Waivers

Could this simply be the front office realising That there is nobody out there in the draft they are sold on in round 1/2, at the WR position? One year with young, lets see how Quick Develops, draft this year to help D and O line , We don't have many free agency dollars, so no top their WR there, it's a one year risk. The only way this harms us is If we do not upgrade our wide receiver corps Because of him and he ends up getting cut two weeks into the season, we would be back to square one. But I would take that risk.

The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Titus Young Claimed By Rams Off Waivers

does he do kick return and punt return?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Bartell=Probowl View Post
    Does he do kick return and punt return?
    Good question -- I wonder too but haven't seen any stat on kick returns.

Not that important, being that we'd have a better-than-Megatron WR on our offense!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Worst case... He is nothing but a camp body.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

First, he comes off as a complete moron (stay off Twitter, Titus). Big mouth with little results.

That said, he'll get every opportunity to prove himself with the Rams. We were the only team to claim him, so he has to know he's on thin ice in the NFL. Jeff Fisher is known for taking care of "troubled" players, so if Titus screws this up, given Fisher's tenure, he wouldn't last much longer. Hopefully he'll realize he needs to shutup and produce.

His play, when he has the ball, is electric and reminds me of Az Hakim. I suspect he'll be our kick/punt returner at least, which would be nice seeing as our returners have sucked for too long.

Bottom line: He's a playmaker. Can't say that about Gibson, Smith, Pettis, Kendricks, or many others on our offense.

We. Need. Playmakers.
    berg8309 and molbio44 like this.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I have to admit, even though he was cut and no one else claimed him off of wavers, I'm excited to see where this goes. Because if he has any brain cells to rub together at all, he'll see this as his last chance to make it in the NFL.

Honestly, nothing about this signing precludes them from drafting another fast wide receiver like Givens, if anything it buys them time to bring along more slowly the receiver of their choice in the case that Young gets too big and bone headed with whatever success he sees on the Rams roster.
    Rambos likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post

Bottom line: He's a playmaker. Can't say that about Gibson, Smith, Pettis, Kendricks, or many others on our offense.

We. Need. Playmakers.
    I can't argue with this at all.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Low risk, high reward. If any coach can change his tune, it's Fisher.

Obviously knowing about who the dude is, I wasn't thrilled by any means but, again, it's a low risk, high reward situation. He's extremely talented and could be a #1 WR for us. Let's hope this works out for everyone.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampower View Post
    Could this simply be the front office realising That there is nobody out there in the draft they are sold on in round 1/2, at the WR position? One year with young, lets see how Quick Develops, draft this year to help D and O line , We don't have many free agency dollars, so no top their WR there, it's a one year risk. The only way this harms us is If we do not upgrade our wide receiver corps Because of him and he ends up getting cut two weeks into the season, we would be back to square one. But I would take that risk.
    no the draft is filled with very good WR prospects.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Some interesting numbers, he was only targeted 56 times, even I could understand where his frustration is coming from. When Johnson was targeted 204. Heck if he does all the right things he will get 100 plus balls from Sam.

By
    Jamal Collier

His reception total was modest, but he was only targeted 56 times: a surprisingly low total, given that Megatron is consistently double and triple-teamed by Detroit opponents. Johnson saw 204 passes thrown in his direction.

Four players—Danny Amendola (101), Brandon Gibson (82), Chris Givens (80) and Lance Kendricks (64)—got more looks in the Rams offense than Young did in Detroit last season. Amendola and Gibson are unrestricted free agents. There should be passes available for Young’s consumption if he can make it through the summer on the Rams roster.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    please name one team who you thought dang they suck because they have too many bad apples? This rarely ever happens and yet everyone gets their panties all in a bunch when a troubled player is brought along.

Teams lose nearly always because they lack talent. Signing Young isn't going to change the entire dynamic of our team. Even if he is a problem he'll get cut before it gets to that.

Sometimes I wonder if the four pillars thing has been brainwashed into peoples minds? The Ravens just won the Super Bowl with a gang of "troubled" players and the ***** have quite a few as well. There likely isn't one NFL locker room that doesn't feature multiple headcases, divas or troubled players. I just think the issue gets way overblown.
    The NY Jets, the Chad Johnson era Bengals, the Vince Young era Titans are examples of teams who tanked because their locker rooms were a mess. I get it that teams arent all going to be full of eagle scouts. I just wonder when enough is enough. You make it sound as though bringing Titus Young is a no brainer and no risk whatsoever. Well, there are 31 teams in the league who disagree with you.

We obviously aren't getting anywhere here since I've been brainwashed and all, so I'll just leave it as that I hope Mr. Young pulls his head out of his rear end and plays up to his potential and we have ourselves a steal here.
    live4ramin likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Because we are bringing a cancer into a locker room full of guys with colorful pasts. We don't need him and his spoiled brat routine stirring anything up with some of these younger guys. And lets not act like this is the same as signing Jerry Rice. He has some potential, but he hasn't proven anything in this league yet. If it works out then great. But he could just as easily poison the locker room and bring some other guys down with him. Yes, Jeff Fisher has a history of dealing with these kinds of players. I just don't want this team turning into what Tennessee became towards the end of his tenure there - constantly full of off field and locker room drama with all the Pacman Jones' and Vince Youngs of the world.

Admittedly I am probably coming off a little dramatic. And I don't totally hate the move as it could add a nice weapon to our offense where we desperately need one. I just really think this kid is a jackass and I don't want him screwing anything up.
    Won't happen - the poison part. Won't ever have a chance to get that far. Don't forget that the owner of the Titans was an intregal part of the drama there particularly with Vince Young. Fisher is an extremely savvy guy. I don't believe for a minute Jeff chose the Rams because of Bradford. He chose Stan Kroenke first and foremost - Bradford was icing on the cake. If Young shows a whiff of the B.S. he's pulled in the past, he'll get the hook. IMO it boils down to whether or not Titus is capable of "getting it". Jeff is doing his due diligence by kicking the tires. As others have stated in this thread, the kid's talent is off the charts, if the kid realizes this is it for him - (no other team put in a claim for him) - he could develop and grow up - it is after all, really up to Titus ..

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I really don't see a down side here. If he keeps his nose clean and makes it through the preseason without any problems, he's a bargain, if he acts up, he gets cut. I've always loved Young's game, going back to Boise State, but his behavior has indeed been troubling.

If anyone can make this work, it's Fisher.
    Exactly! Which of course is one of the reasons Stan did whatever it took to land Jeff Fisher.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Yes, teams today can't have all boy scouts on the team and expect to win. The Pats have brought on troubled guys the Giants aren't completely clean; even the Pack have a couple of iffy guys; and we know that the Ravens and Whiners have some issues both on and off the field. The key is that through it all, the TEAM is strong.
    I think this is a great point. A team with a strong locker room has a good chance to keep problem guys in check. The Lions were a mess, and completely undisciplined when it came to player behavior, while the Rams had virtually no problems. And when they did, Fisher wasted little time laying down the law. After Givens and Jenkins missed curfew, they were benched for a game, a big game against the whiners. I don't remember any other problems with any players after that.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    The NY Jets, the Chad Johnson era Bengals, the Vince Young era Titans are examples of teams who tanked because their locker rooms were a mess. I get it that teams arent all going to be full of eagle scouts. I just wonder when enough is enough. You make it sound as though bringing Titus Young is a no brainer and no risk whatsoever. Well, there are 31 teams in the league who disagree with you.

We obviously aren't getting anywhere here since I've been brainwashed and all, so I'll just leave it as that I hope Mr. Young pulls his head out of his rear end and plays up to his potential and we have ourselves a steal here.
    I agree with the VY thing BUT the problem was the owners not Fishers.

When Vince Young was drafted third overall by the Titans, coach Jeff Fisher never wanted him or wanted anything to do with drafting him, the decision to draft VY was mainly due to the owner Bud Adams.
    Fisher made it clear that he wanted control of the coaching staff and the personnel with the Rams. When Fisher brought in Cortland Finnegan, my first thought was here we go, with a bunch of bad boys. The fact is Cortland is not a punk like the media would make you believe. I trust Fisher and his judgement.
    MauiRam likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    This is very interesting for two reasons.

1. Jeff Fisher obviously knows Young's former head coach, Jim Schwartz, very well, as he was an assistant on his staff in Tennessee for nearly 10 years; and

2. Young's college teammate, Austin Pettis, is on the Rams.

Its certainly possible that the Rams just grabbed Young with the idea of evaluating whether he's a "keeper" at later date, but it also seems plausible that a few phone calls were made before this move. Who knows? If Schwartz and Pettis both told Fisher that this guy can be salvaged, maybe that factored into the decision.

From a skill standpoint alone, Young would be a very good insurance policy against the possible loss of Danny Amendola.

Whether it works out or not, I like that this Rams' Front Office is proactive.

Agree with your view on this BUT losing Danny boy is hopefully not going to happen. Hard to believe that Young could ever be the bright spot Danny has been for this team. Insurance yes......but nowhere near the character of Danny Amendola. But as you suggest, proactive move nonetheless.