Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Today, Mike Martz lost my support. Its time for a change.

I've always been a Mike Martz supporter. Truth is, its hard to argue with a Head Coach with as high a winning percentage as Martz has had.

But something about Martz has always troubled me. Its not the quirks. I don't mind the trick plays. I can tolerate the squandering of timeouts and replay challenges. The odd Martz quotes I've always pushed aside as unimportant.

Yet, as I said, something has always troubled me about Mike Martz.

Today, as the Rams were dismantled by the lowly Arizona Cardinals, it came to me, and my support for Martz ended.

Its all about margin of error and flexibility.

All teams strive to have a style or a personality. They try to play to their strengths and force the opposition to game plan to stop those strengths. Some teams play smash mouth and force the opposition to stop them. Some blitz and force the opponent into mistakes.

Under Martz, the Rams' identity has always been the "Greatest Show on Turf"/"Max Q"/"Fast and Furious" approach. There's a lot to be said for that approach. Its fun to watch and, when its working, nearly impossible to stop. Scoring 1,500+ points in three years tells the story.

But the downside of this approach is that it affords no margin of error. If all the components are not working – bad things happen. If the offensive line (as has too often been the case in recent years) is not solid at every position, the strategy fails. If the QB who has command of the offense (whether it be Warner or Bulger) is out, the strategy fails. If the running back (whether it be Faulk or Jackson) is not in the game and operating near 100%, the strategy fails.

Now, how does this different from any other strategy? Well, today I concluded its different in two ways.

First, other approaches can work with interchangeable parts. For example, a team that is built around the run, and has a good blocking O line, can succeed even when the primary back is out. Look at Denver, Carolina and Pittsburgh. The Martz offense, on the other hand, is so complex, it is difficult, if not impossible, to plug in new players without a substantial dropoff.

The second difference is that Martz – who defined the GSOT strategy, is entirely inflexible in its use. When have you ever seen Martz – even for a game – take the position that he just doesn't have the horses, and needs to revert to a simpler offense? No, he (some would say arrogantly) always seems to think he can just continue business as usual.

I haven't even gotten to the defense, which Martz delegates – first to the able Lovie Smith, and now to the maligned Larry Marmie.

The bottom line is that, in today's NFL, teams need to have more flexibility. They need to be able to adjust to the inevitable injuries and misfortunes that a team faces each year.

When things are perfect, and all is working, there's no better offense than a Mike Martz offense.

But, for the long term success of the franchise, the team needs to go in another direction. They need a leader who can build a team that can withstand the uncertainty of an NFL season and still come out on top.

I no longer believe Mike Martz is that leader.

The Rams need to find a new Head Coach.

Re: Today, Mike Martz lost my support. Its time for a change.

I think you just overreacted

Not at all. This is how I feel, and - though I will support Martz next year if the team decided to keep him - I would like to see someone new at the helm.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Av ,this is what i have been saying for a long time now and was unable to put it on paper like you have done here today!..........I want MM as a OC also just dont think that he'd step down!.........He doesnt have the leader mentallilty IMPO..........He to me doesn't know the first thing about the trench war of the game.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I think you just overreacted
    Anything less than murdering Paul Tagliube with a .44 magnum on the 50 yard line on Monday Night Football will sway some from supporting Martz. I don't know if I should be impressed by such undying loyalty or disgusted.

Shut out on offense by the Cardinals. Can it get any lower? Just call me McFly because I've gone back to the '90's. Where's my paper bag?

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

To declare these comments an OVER REACTION is like saying that standing by and watching while your family members get beaten up is some kind of entertainment. What will it take for some of you to WAKE UP!?! This guy has looked like a bumbling fool off and on for the last 5 years...this year his INEPTITUDE has finally come home to roost. He cant LEAD or MOTIVATE...he CERTAINLY cant evaluate and obtain MUCH NEEDED TALENT at KEY POSITIONS OF NEED! Game/clock/timeout/challenge management...I dont even need to go there. Bringing in his 'old buddy' Larry Marmie(the WORST DC in the NFL over the last few seasons) was the HEIGHT of ARROGANT IGNORANCE!! There isnt another team besides SF who is as WEAK and INEPT as the Rams right now. His trickery and 'offensive genius' antics are a JOKE and no longer fool ANYONE! Lets just pat him on the head and endure ANOTHER SEASON of this garbage. Overreaction...ya...ok.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Don't get me wrong - those who wish to declare Martz a "moron" or an "idiot," will not get my support.

I just don't think his methods can work in the long run, and I would rather see the Rams lead by the kind of coach who can find a way to win even when the chips are down.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Exactly how do you define a coach who rushes the ball TEN TIMES(with the teams top QB out) vs the leagues 3rd WORST rush defense?!? Were talking about a defense who gave up 196 yds rushing to Kevin Jones and 139 yds to future HOFer Maurice Hicks over the last 2 weeks!! Chew on THAT!! 'Moron' and 'idiot' may be too kind. I wont get your support...Im crushed.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Excellent post Av!!

Your "margin of error" and "flexibility" are terrific points indeed. The offense is so complex that it does not always afford the early success of draft picks and FA signings, not to mention the stringent criteria placed on players, by Martz, who otherwise might be worth taking in the draft or via FA.

If you ask me, the firing of Mike Martz is long overdue. When Martz is fired I think I will do my own little dance of joy.

:ramlogo:

lakerams Guest

it is time for all Martz supporters to finally admit that Martz system no longer works and he does not have the ability to adapt a new game plan.

10 rushes- that has always been a praoblem with Martz' game plan. some of you will say that Faulk's average was no good, but we all know that Faulk can start out that way and break a few big runs that opens up the passing game. but to only rush 10 times against the Cardinals, that is pathetic.

it's time for a change. either Martz goes back to OC or he goes home ( and believe me, there will be no other teams lining up to hire him as HC like so many of you think ). only the Rams are that stupid to keep him this long.

don't agree? tough luck!! it's reality. I live on earth. when the rest of you come down from cloud 9 or wherever you are, I will welcome you back to reality.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by lakerams
    it is time for all Martz supporters to finally admit that Martz system no longer works and he does not have the ability to adapt a new game plan.
    If you believe that, then why do you later say, "either Martz goes back to OC or he goes home?" If his system doesn't work and he can't adapt, why do you want him as OC?

I'm beginning to lean on the skeptical side of the fence, but I don't think firing our coach is going to bring us anything but more seasons of struggling while we try to rebuild to fit the new guy's system. The defense probably needs rebuilt completely at this point anyway, unless we can get someone in here to bring back and hammer in the Cover 2, since that's what this undersized unit was built to play.

I think we keep Martz, but the front office needs to put their foot down and take back some control. I wouldn't be opposed to having an offensive coordinator actually taking the play-calling responsibilities from Martz, because last I heard, Martz still does most if not all of that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

lakerams Guest

sorry, I didn't clarify my point very well.

I think Martz sees the game better from the box. I think he gets too involved trying to be OC and HC.

I think his system can work if there is someone else running the show, forcing him to call a more balanced game. he needs to have someone who outranks him on the field to manage the game ( one of his biggest weaknesses).

plus, his passing game needs to be updated, reinvented, whatever, to adjust with the changing league.

also, I think blowing up the D for the 2nd time in 4 years would be a mistake.

Lakerams, based on what you just posted, would you be satisifed if the FO removed game-day playcalling duties from Martz and put them in the hands of an offensive coordinator, either Steve Fairchild or someone else? I think that would be exceptionally beneficial.

Regarding the defense, we're undersized. We're built to play the Cover 2, but Marmie seems to be getting away from that. If we're not going to play Cover 2, then we have some personnel decisions to make, IMO.

lakerams Guest

no, I don't want another OC calling plays. I just said to put Martz back as OC. someone else should be HC. I thought I made that clear.

Martz is not HC'ing material. everyone else around the league can see that except for 1/2 the Clanram and the FO.

as for the defense, Martz knew what the defense was built for. he helped draft the players for that scheme. so, why bring in his buddy who does not run the cover 2 and expose the defense even more?

it's not like he didn't know what was going on. he's been there the whole time ( or was this one of his " I forgot what the score was " situations?).
    Last edited by lakerams; -12-19-2004 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerams
    no, I don't want another OC calling plays. I just said to put Martz back as OC. someone else should be HC. I thought I made that clear.
    If you honestly think Martz is going to accept a demotion to OC, please pass me some of what you're smoking.

While you're at it, please pass me the testimonials of the rest of the league where they say Martz isn't head coaching material. Otherwise, perhaps we should avoid making blanket statements like that.

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast