Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
    atcchris is offline Registered User

Re: Today, Mike Martz lost my support. Its time for a change.

Avengerram

You know, atc, sometimes its better to just admit that you were mistaken...
    Course, you could lead by example.. LOLOLOLOL

Quote:
    Originally Posted by atcchris
    I saw a marked difference between the team with Green and the team with Warner, and I don't care if it was the preseason.
    Now, I would never initiate an argument that preseason stats are worth considering. But, since you brought it up, here are Trent Green's preseason stats before the Harrison hit:

Attempts: 32
    Completions: 28
    Completion %: 87.5
    Yards: 406
    TDs: 2
    Ints: 1
    QB Rating: 135.7

So, if you "don't care if it was the preseason" - what is it about those stats that would lead you to conclude that the GSOT would not have happened even if Green had never been injured?
    If you re-read my quote, I never said anything about "stats". Trent Green has never had a "perfect" QB rating. Warner has. Twice. Green never sparked a team like Warner did. As I said, we will never know what would have been, but we know this: Warner's got the ring. Green doesn't. In fact, Green's teams haven't done much of anything except have good regular seasons.

I don't suppose you looked at any of the box scores. Of course you didn't. You Warner-erasers won't (admit (remember?) just how dominating HE was.

By the way.. in 2000.. do you happen to remember the Rams' record for those 6 games? 2-4. For the season, it was 10-7. That must mean Warner was 8-3. Coincidence? I think not. And compare how Faulk did in Green's games vs Warner's. There were times when Green was in that Faulk got into the passing game, but times he was out completely. Faulk was an integral part of Warner's progressions. Face it. Warner had mastery of GSOT. We haven't seen another QB with such yet. Let me know when you think we do.

HUBison

IMO, the red zone offense begins and ends with a running attack. When we get an offensive line that can win battles in the trenches and force defenses to watch for the run either with Faulk or Jackson, then maybe we'll be able to start finding some more holes in coverage in that part of the field. Otherwise, I don't see our red zone -- hell, our entire offense -- getting drastically better, no matter who is at quarterback.
    The way to absolutely dominate in the Red zone is to keep the opponent off balance so that he can't stack the run, and he can't cover all your receivers. A one-dimensional team, either dimension, will fail in the Red zone. A team that can't hit the screens, can't sell the draws.. they aren't going to be successful. The running game is certainly a large part of it.. but only because you have to have all your options down there. We haven't had all our options in the last 2 years. It's not because of Faulk, either. I will say this.. a guy like Conwell played a big part in giving opposing Ds fits in the Red Zone as well. But it's all about OPTIONS and what the D has to cover.

Pretty decent point, Av. I think we've seen from what Green has done in Kansas City that he has the skill to run a high-octane offense.
    No one said he couldn't run a high-octane defense. He's simply not the kind of spark Warner is.

KC 2001: 6-10
    KC 2002: 8-8
    KC 2003: 13-3
    KC 2004: 6-8

No.. not the spark. Not the LEADER a team needs. Warner was a special once-in-a-lifetime talent. One day people might appreciate him a bit more than a distant also-ran in the "Responsibility for the GSOT success" sweepstakes. But.. that's if they can get past some other issues they have, in my opinion.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Plus, Trent Green apparently can't walk on water.

I ask again...

Anyone want to discuss Martz?

atcchris is offline Registered User

Plus, Trent Green apparently can't walk on water.
    Don't know about that, but we do know he can't lead the Rams to a Super Bowl, nor can he lead the Chiefs to one.

Anyone want to discuss Martz?
    Sure. Fire his butt.

moklerman Guest

Gordon's career as a Ram was marred with fumbles and injuries,
    In general terms, that's how Jackson's Ram career has gone also.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    In general terms, that's how Jackson's Ram career has gone also.
    He has had 1 start, 1 100 yard game, 1 fumble and 1 injury. You be the judge.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris
    And compare how Faulk did in Green's games vs Warner's.
    Faulk rushed for 1149 yards off of 200 attempts (an average of 5.75 yards per carry) when Warner started, but only 210 yards on 53 carries (a 3.97 average) when Green started. Furthermore, Faulk averaged 20 rushes per game when Warner was in in 2000. When Green was in, Faulk not only didn't play for two of Green's six games, but averaged only thirteen carries when he did play.

Draw your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris
    Don't know about that, but we do know he can't lead the Rams to a Super Bowl, nor can he lead the Chiefs to one.
    You don't know that he can't do it. All you know is that he hasn't yet.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Today, Mike Martz has my support. It's time to keep fighting.

Today, Mike Martz has my support. It's time to keep fighting.

I look forward to Coach Martz being back next year. ...And for the St. Louis Rams to do much better than this dismal season. Sure, many changes will take place, but I hope MM stays at the helm.

Yes, this is an impressive thread and series of responses. Peace.

Merry Christmas / Holidays to all my ClanRam friends here (enjoying the music).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ATC
    HUBison

Quote:
    IMO, the red zone offense begins and ends with a running attack. When we get an offensive line that can win battles in the trenches and force defenses to watch for the run either with Faulk or Jackson, then maybe we'll be able to start finding some more holes in coverage in that part of the field. Otherwise, I don't see our red zone -- hell, our entire offense -- getting drastically better, no matter who is at quarterback.

The way to absolutely dominate in the Red zone is to keep the opponent off balance so that he can't stack the run, and he can't cover all your receivers. A one-dimensional team, either dimension, will fail in the Red zone. A team that can't hit the screens, can't sell the draws.. they aren't going to be successful. The running game is certainly a large part of it.. but only because you have to have all your options down there. We haven't had all our options in the last 2 years. It's not because of Faulk, either. I will say this.. a guy like Conwell played a big part in giving opposing Ds fits in the Red Zone as well. But it's all about OPTIONS and what the D has to cover.
    Any particular reason you are refering to me in this post? I think you got me mixed up with someone else's quote.

But thanks for your thoughts on goal-line offense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 Guest

[QUOTE=NickSeiler]If you honestly think Martz is going to accept a demotion to OC, please pass me some of what you're smoking.

You'll have to get that from ZIGZAG................lol

talkstoangels61 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez
    once again with the KW stuff, Avenger was right about you.

You are the type of person who revels in mysery. You are never around when things are fine but by the gods, let things go wrong and you are right there with the stone in yer hand.

Mike Martz, no matter what you try to say, is one of the winningest coaches that the Rams have ever had and you want to throw that away ........... yea, you almost had me at ....... listen to me ........... but then you started talking. LOL

DEZ............Dont hate me for this one but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wasn't KW our winningest QB,etc. and MM kicked him to the curb?......................Sorry i just think that Mad Mike isn't a Head coach either,note 9i respect your opinion its just not my opinion

talkstoangels61 Guest

Re: atc....here's a good example of when Martz would go

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    atc.....since you like to use a Warner example in 99.99999999 percent of your posts, I'll throw you a bone on this one.

If next year the Rams start out 0-8, then by all means it's time to cut the cord.

Tex.......you are missing the point here! KW was not at fault for the 0-8 start as MB is not at fault you should know that the play calling, Line play on both sides of the ball,motivation,ETC>............This guy has done nothing for this team ever since he has taken the reigns.......................He's been the ONE guy that could have kept FLETCH,KURT,RICKY.ETC......................but didnt. Line play is horrendous draft selections all but a few have been the same C'mon guys Martz hasn't a clue and i highly doubt the team was real concerned over anything of MARTZ being on the block...................he should be

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Everyone seems to think Martz is the main cause for all of this. Not saying he is without blame, but to put 100% on the guy is ridiculous.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Everyone seems to think Martz is the main cause for all of this. Not saying he is without blame, but to put 100% on the guy is ridiculous.
    Indeed. What is it with people wanting to blame everything solely on one person? I guess it's Martz's fault that guys have been dropping interceptions all year. Every time someone fumbles offensively, it's Martz's fault. The fact that we're starting our fourth left guard of the season is Martz's fault. Aeneas's decline isn't because of getting older, but because of Martz. Martz was the one that broke Travis Fisher's jaw, not something on the field.... etc etc. Martz has made his questionable decisions - while some could cite Chandler, let's not forget the number of people during the preseason calling for Chandler to start from day one instead of Bulger - but to put it all on one guy's shoulders is preposterous.

If you look at everything that's happened to this team, we should be glad that we're in a division that allows us a chance to still compete for the playoffs. We still control our own destiny, and even if we do play our guts out and manage to sneak in, the front office and coaching staff know that changes need to be made for next season. No one's going to get a pass, and I'm sure there are people in Rams Park who have already begun problem solving for 2005. But some of this stuff you just can't control, nor can you expect any team to be able to triumph over this kind of adversity.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I certainly don't think the Rams lack of success this year is all Martz's fault.

I would describe my feeling about Martz as being a close call. You could say that 49% of me is in favor of giving him another year, while 51% of me thinks he should be replaced. Its literally that close a call to me. If the Rams play their hearts out for the last two games and manage to win their division, then make a decent showing in the playoffs, I suppose I could shift the other way. I doubt it, though.