Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    elAcky Guest

Re: Today, Mike Martz lost my support. Its time for a change.

The problem with getting rid of Martz is that:

a) there is a big risk that we will return to a style of football that will unlikely get us much primetime coverage.. do we want that?!??!?

b) we will go into a rebuilding process much like the niners.. i.e. we may not see a winning season for a year or 2.

personally, i think that Martz deserves another shot but UNDER DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES... i.e. the FO need to step up and take away some of his delegations as a result of the bad season THEY SHOULD NOT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT SCOT CLEAN e.g. scouting/draft/talent selection. Training and technical staff hiring (inc. releasing Marmie).

Having said all that, i think that we should start a rebuilding programme this offseason which includes the release of PACE, Aeneas, perhaps Faulk and D.Lewis (we need something else at DT) and the adquisition of leadership in the defense.

I think the team will be more solid with just these 3 adjustments and we should refind our winning ways (fingers crossed for injuries ofcourse)

PaddyRam is offline Registered User

I'm sorry to say that I agree with AR.
    I've been a Martz supporter but its time to move on...

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    The problem with getting rid of Martz is that:

a) there is a big risk that we will return to a style of football that will unlikely get us much primetime coverage.. do we want that?!??!?

b) we will go into a rebuilding process much like the niners.. i.e. we may not see a winning season for a year or 2.

personally, i think that Martz deserves another shot but UNDER DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES... i.e. the FO need to step up and take away some of his delegations as a result of the bad season THEY SHOULD NOT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT SCOT CLEAN e.g. scouting/draft/talent selection. Training and technical staff hiring (inc. releasing Marmie).

Having said all that, i think that we should start a rebuilding programme this offseason which includes the release of PACE, Aeneas, perhaps Faulk and D.Lewis (we need something else at DT) and the adquisition of leadership in the defense.

I think the team will be more solid with just these 3 adjustments and we should refind our winning ways (fingers crossed for injuries ofcourse)
    I like this train of though.

We go into the off season and we rebuild. I am fully confident that Shaw will grasp whatever testicles require grasping ..............

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't understand how there is such a fear of losing Martz at this point. It's not like he's been steadily...hell, not even gradually, improving. The biggest argument I've seen for keeping him is "who's going to replace him"?

What about Gregg Williams in Washington? What about Wannstedt? What about leaving it up to people who are in the business and not concluding that it's a bad idea just because we can't name 100 alternatives. Would a replacement be a sure-fired guarentee that the Rams would be back in the Super Bowl? No, but I think it's fairly obvious that Martz doesn't have things moving in the right direction.

All of the problems that Martz is "overcoming" this year: injuries, personnel, coaching, etc., all stem directly from his leadership and position as HC. Guys faking injuries? That's a new one on me. I thought guys up and down the roster were playing with injuries to try and help out. I didn't and don't understand the rationale of keeping Bulger out today either. If he's not going to do any further damage, which is what I've heard, then he should have been out there. First place and the playoffs were on the line today.

Not attempting any real kind of running game(AGAIN!), with Chandler at qb is just so idiotic. Anyone watching the game last week could see that Chandler was in over his head. For Martz to assume that Arizona was going to roll over was wrong. To call plays that the scrap heap replacements were unable to execute was wrong.

Hell, San Francisco put up 31 points last week against Arizona with a rookie rb making his first start and a qb making his 4th start. The Rams are a mess, the coach is directly responsible for a majority of the problems and has proven to be incapable of working with what he's got and preparing and calling the best gameplan possible for the supposed lack of talent that the Rams are saddled with. Players that Martz has assembled over the last 4 years.

Martz hasn't been able to overcome the simplest of shortcomings, like wasting timeouts, choosing not to kick field goals and refusing to incorporate some kind of balance on offense, ever since he's been the head coach. I just don't see how it could possibly get any worse than what it was today so making a change at coach isn't the sacrilegious suggestion that some think it to be. Getting shut out by the Cardinals is as low as it can get. Josh McCown looking like Joe Montana, old Emmitt Smith looking like young Emmitt Smith and the Rams offense looking as bad as it ever did under Brooks with Steve Walsh at qb. No playoffs. No winning record. No money to spend on free agents. And Chris Chandler under contract for 2 years. How exactly does it get worse?

RamTime Guest

There is one problem here kids. The horses have already left the barn? They are all over the league now from new york to seattle, from detroit to carolina. from buffalo to New England to Kansas City to Oakland. You can go ahead and close the door now however we will need some new horses. Perhaps we can catch some of the escapees. HEY!!!! Rickey, az-zahir , Grant, Kurt, London, Tony, Dre', Jeff, Roland, dex, mike,james, You busy? Got a minute? seems there has been a misunderstanding.

majorram is offline Registered User

This has been a great read!!

Look I don't want Martz fired. :bored: . who the hell are we going to get to replace him with... YES I'm PISSED off, but Martz will NEVER change.. NEVER...you know, personally I think Martz is living in the past, the glory days, he has to move on....You can't demote the guy to OC, his pride will never take that...HE WILL GET ANOTHER YEAR...yes he will feel the heat from Shaw behind closed doors and so he SHOULD...

I agree with what elacky is saying... take some of the responibilities away from Martz and let him just focus on coaching...not in personal

we should start the rebuilding process....we should get the best value for Pace, release D. Lewis, get bigger upfront, we are sooooooo undersized, like TX said we need to move some of the money(what little we have) spent on the O to the D.. and YES cut Faulk or restucture his contact....personally he will be released...

this will be an interesting Off-season!!!!

steve :ramlogo:

RamWraith is offline Registered User

It's about damn time the big guy (Dez) grabs his axe and starts swinging. I was beginning to wonder if he was taking up a new hobby like jacks or something. :redface:

majorram is offline Registered User

Shaw needs to reel in Martz's reins....

steve :ramlogo:

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

If I agree with AV - Does that make him Negative?

Same old Stuff....Why did it take so long to see it all??

He was and still may be the greatest OC in the league, but that needs to be a facet of the larger picture and not the focus of every game aspect.

With that said... Even if we make the Playoffs... I am still looking forward to 2005-2006. As Dez said, should be a very interesting off-season.

ARF

atcchris is offline Registered User

avengerram

ATC, why do insist on making every thread about Warner? This post is nearly identical to one you made on the thread about Bulger's importance to this year's team.
    Because it is the BEST example of Martz' Hubris costing us our dynasty.

Because Martz is incapable of change, and it will happen again and again.

Ram Dez

As the Rams fall into a pit of remorse and mediocrity.
    You say that as if it hasn't already happened...

laramfanlongtime

KW has lost his ability to think when rushed and the facts are because of this line the Rams QB has to think while being pressured and Bulger does a great job at that.
    22 td 22 int.

That's not "ready". That's not high octane.

That's all I need to know about Bulger. Has it gotten better this year? Yes.... but only marginally... and, like I said, the kid has talent, but he isn't premium octane, and he's in Martz' tank.

The line stinks.. sure... so why is Martz still trying to run the same offense.

How did the line get that way? How did all this happen? Look: It was inevitable that there would be a drop off here and there.. isn't that the front office and HC's job to deal with? The measure of how it was dealt with sits before you.

Who is responsible? The fans, for finally waking up to the reality? That's what some would have you believe. We, the disloyal fans deserve the wrath of this meltdown and waste of talent. We don't understand.. if only Frankenstein were given HEALTHY brains instead of A-B Normal ones.. if only the arms and legs were not gimpy... THEN this pig would fly! You'd see!!! Frankenstein's a GENIUS, after all!!!

Besides, who are you going to get to replace him?!? Jekyll? That guy's a wimp!!

LOL

In college ball, no one knew or credited a guy with the last name Stoops... until he hit the ground running at OU and made history.

You all telling me that there is no NFL calibre head-coach out there who can do better with the kind of talent Martz had than Martz?

I beg to differ.

and you still have not told us who YOU want to replace him with ..............

The King is dead ....... long live whats his name ......................

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If we aren't kissing babies.....

we are stealing their lollipops aren't we.....

Been a weird year guys. Close but no cigar. Turnover ratio flipped on us this year. The talent was the same, but the breaks went the other way. When that happens, lop of heads right? Wrong. Fix a few.

Look, in the day and age of the salary cap....injuries and personnel losses are critical. At one point this year, every CB was hurt. At the same time. Personnelwise, I think it's finally safe to say we whiffed on DLew, Arch has moments, and Pickett has come on. Polley has played his way back onto the team I think, but Thomas has to go. Losing your starting G and C during training camp was huge. Bulger going down was the knockout blow.

No, I don't see why Martz needs to be fired. However, I do think tweaks to the offseason regiment are in order.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't want Dave Wandstedt.

Who do I want? Well, thankfully I'm not the guy charged with making that call.

One guy I have heard rumblings about, though, is Jeff Fisher. There has been some talk of him falling out of favor in Tennessee. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Another guy who might be worth a look is former Martz and present Vermiel assistant Al Saunders.

Or, how about Romeo Crenell (sp?) in New England?

Or Bob Stoops.

Or Nick Saban.

Or Gary Kubiak.

I'm sure there's someone out there who could be the right guy.

And I bet every single one of them would have fell just as flat on their faces with the Rams this year.

I am looking at a fire and a frying pan folks and am watching you all shout ...... JUMP.

atcchris is offline Registered User

and you still have not told us who YOU want to replace him with ..............
    Tell you what.

Give me a budget to conduct a search, and I'll find your man.

You're telling me there isn't another coach available anywhere that could have led the Rams to a 6-10 record this year?

You're telling me that the "brain trust" can't be trusted to find a better coach than Martz?

What has Martz REALLY done for us, after all? The record doesn't lie.. or does it?

We WOULDA been better... we COULDA been a contenda... we SHOULDA not had injuries...

for all these years, it can't be Martz. No one else has injuries. Only us.