Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's game

moklerman is offline Registered User

Today's game

I think today's game was far too similar to last year's team. Poor rushing defense, sporadic offense, etc. The special teams did look somewhat improved though. Not good, but improved.

One of the biggest concerns of the team is rushing defense and I can't help but think that it's scheme rather than talent at this point. First string, second string and mop-up units were all ineffective against the run as far as I could see. It's just one game, but if this is any kind of indicator of how the Rams D will hold up against a good running team then they will be in trouble.

Improvement during the season will be the goal at this point. 130 yds rushing with two 50+ yard runs from two different rb's in the first half was just abysmal.

I come into this year not being sold on Marmie and his scheme and today didn't change my point of view. Right now, my guess is that the 2005 Rams will be similar to teams of the past and they will have to put up a lot of points to win games.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Today's game

Mok, I kinda agree. I don't know how the second half went, we lost the signal and didn't get to see 99% of that half. But, the first half has me concerned...not worried, but concerned.
    The Defense does show some improvement (can we infect everyone with Ivy's fever?) but still shows holes. The O is still full of holes...and 99% are on the right side.
    Special teams are still taking the short bus to the games.

I look like it as this: It is PRE-season. This is the time to test and try. Wins and losses do not really matter. What does matter is who can play, and who is pretending. When we play the first real game, I want our best out there. When we go 12-4, that is what will matter...not how we do during the pre-season, even if it was our starters on the field.

Look at it this way: It was San Diego who beat us. They are a good team. Sloppy as it was, it was an honorable loss. If it would have been a loss to Miami, or the Tards, it would be a concern. I will congratulate the SD fans, and not be ashamed.
    There is no dishonor in losing to a good opponent, unless you do not try.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I come into this year not being sold on Marmie and his scheme and today didn't change my point of view. Right now, my guess is that the 2005 Rams will be similar to teams of the past and they will have to put up a lot of points to win games.
    Not with that offense we won't.

I TOTALLY agree (at this point) about Larry Marmie. Nothing new here. Same porous D we've had before.

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

STLRAMSFAN Guest

A couple times our D brought pressure Arch and Coakley got through. The rest of the time we could not apply pressure without bringing extra guys. Our D looks pretty bland at this point. Lets hope we can start getting more out of our front four. If not lets hope Marmie mixes up the defensive looks like Lovey used to do in order to compensate for not getting to the QB with the front D-Linemen.

I hope Marmie's holding back. You know; playing his cards close to the vest and all. Hopefully there's some blitz schemes in there some where that take advantage of our speed, that we haven't seen yet. Please, for the love of God! Don't let THAT be our scheme for the year!

RamsFanSam........ I am firmly astride your bandwagon, dude. I pray for better, despite my gut feeling.

Hooah

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hey, I gotta believe in my boys. I would really like winning XL, but no matter what, I'm a Rams Fan for Life!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The defense specifically against the run is very concerning, but keep in mind this was Arch's first game back and we were without Ryan Pickett on the D-line. There are still two preseason games left, so adjustments can still be made. Plus, as Sci implied, Marmie has probably not revealed his entire card.

On the flip side, it looked like Groce had a fairly decent game. He made some nice defenses when Brees decided to pick on him. A couple of blown coverages in general that are to be expected with a young group that's missing its biggest CB playmaker. Hopefully that gets cleared up soon.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

We got overpowered at the point of attack by a terrific running team. Reason to be nervous (even without pickett who is a lot better against the run than d lewis)? OF course it is. Marmies fault? I dont buy that for even one minute. They blew us off the ball, the hole tomlinson ran through looked like the warrick dunn runs in the playoffs.

What was really scary was that we didnt even miss a lot of tackles, just got blown away at the line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    We got overpowered at the point of attack by a terrific running team. Reason to be nervous (even without pickett who is a lot better against the run than d lewis)? OF course it is. Marmies fault? I dont buy that for even one minute. They blew us off the ball, the hole tomlinson ran through looked like the warrick dunn runs in the playoffs.

What was really scary was that we didnt even miss a lot of tackles, just got blown away at the line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Well stated could not agree more this one was on the players. If we continue to get overpowered during the regular season I hope Marmie can be creative in bringing the pressure like Lovie.

Groce looked good, this is true.

GC is right......WE lost the battle at the the Line. Badly. This is where our troubles began and ended. Linebackers can't be effective against the run when our D-line is nowhere to be found.

Hooah

general counsel is offline Registered User

Groce reminds me of a younger dre bly. He will make mistakes, he will also make big plays. I have very very high hopes for groce.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

Coakley and Claiborne better turn it on soon. They're sposed to be the fix to our d this year. COme on guy!!!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

A LOT of new faces on defense as far as starters go, it's going to take a few games for the unit to gel. If I see that kind of effort against the whiners in week one, then I'll worry.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Not to worry then. Certainly a wake-up call for the D (Tomlinson or not).

Besides, we can always complain here to TX. Remember, it's "his" defense.

Seriously, I think today's fiasco against the Chargers' running game is a real learning experience for all our new players and, as r8rh8rmike just said, to look forward to a better gel process -- hopefully by the end of the exhibition games!

:angryram: Come on Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    A LOT of new faces on defense as far as starters go, it's going to take a few games for the unit to gel. If I see that kind of effort against the whiners in week one, then I'll worry.
    Great point, Mike. We're probably lucky in that our first two opponents of the season - Arizona and San Fran - don't exactly have mammoth ground games featured in their offense. We may be able to get by if things aren't exactly 100% gelled by then as well, but the sooner the progress, the better.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast