Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today's game

gap Guest

Re: Today's game

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    We got overpowered at the point of attack by a terrific running team. Reason to be nervous (even without pickett who is a lot better against the run than d lewis)? OF course it is. Marmies fault? I dont buy that for even one minute. They blew us off the ball, the hole tomlinson ran through looked like the warrick dunn runs in the playoffs.

What was really scary was that we didnt even miss a lot of tackles, just got blown away at the line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That hole was created by #77 grabbing the DT by the pads, pulling him to the right (the D's left) and pulling him to the ground. That part of the game looked more like a wrestling match, and the officials did nothing to stop it. Like I should expect them to.

gap

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Well, I'm holding off judgement or revisiting my "I think the Rams will win ____ games this year" until I see the last 2 preseason games.

Having said that, I was at this Chargers game and it definitely reminded me of the Falcons game, and the reality that one team was decisively superior and a step ahead. The aura in the standium reminded me of going to Rams games when they were dominant. The Chargers are solid, and their fans are pumped about this season. Must be nice to have that kind of protection for your QB...

Hopefully Rams just need to gel, and can squeek a couple wins on the road to start the season. Arizona and their receivers will be a handful.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The charger fans sure had the place packed. It's hard to believe they sold out for a preseason game.

I actually got to watch this game and I think I might prefer the blue screen with the bouncing logo. :O

Bulger settled in and looked pretty good. The O line struggled, but I am not too concerned about them at the moment. I think they will pull together over time and gel just fine. The running game and the receivers will be fine. Curtis is amazingly quick and good. Smoker did not look good today, and Fitz got a lucky throw in.

Special teams tried some things out which did not help us out, but this is the time to try things out so they might as well.

The defense is my big concern. There were a few good plays by a few players. Groce and Ivy played well, but in general the defense did not do their part. Is it Marmie and the coaching staff or is it the players? I don't know.

My happy feeling has been squashed, oh so easily, by the yards and points put up against the defense. I should try and remember that the offense gave up 8 points also with the safety and the interception for a td, but even so the defense was the major weak link in this game. I can't wait to see what Tx has to say about his defense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

moklerman is offline Registered User

I shouldn't have to premise any statements with "it's just a preseason game" so hopefully no one interprets my statements as absolute.

Another scary thought to me is that the Chargers took LT out of the game after his only carry (55 yard touchdown) so it's scary to imagine what he would have done if he stayed in the whole first half.

They did a sideline interview with LT and asked him to walk them through the 55 yard play. LT said that the blocking was great on the right side and opened a huge lane for him to run through. He said when he broke into the secondary he saw #31 and a smile came to his face because he really liked the matchup.

I didn't see a lot of missed tackles by the defense which lends to my opinion of the scheme being unsound. We have at least 3 upgrades of defensive personnel and the run D looked as bad as it did against Atlanta. Yes, it's possible that these guys will gel at some point but this is a very poor sign. The performance today doesn't indicate to me that anything has improved from last year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Another scary thought to me is that the Chargers took LT out of the game after his only carry (55 yard touchdown) so it's scary to imagine what he would have done if he stayed in the whole first half.
    I almost would have preferred him stay in to see if that one run was the trend rather than the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I didn't see a lot of missed tackles by the defense which lends to my opinion of the scheme being unsound.
    So do you blame the scheme if our lineman are losing battles in the trenches and we're minus a starting DT? As you stated, LT said he saw the SD offensive line open up a huge hole on the right side, and he flat out made Arch miss. I'm curious what kind of scheme would have stopped their lineman's dominance and LT's natural ability.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Allright, let's take a little perspective break here.... remove the two 55-yarder debacles and the Chargers ran the ball 32 times for 105 yards (3.28 ypc). In the final three quarters, the Chargers ran the ball 29 times for 89 yards (3.07 ypc). Personally, I can live with a little over 3 ypc, no problem. What scares me is seeing D-Lew in on running downs. He just can't stuff the run, which is disappointing.

I don't think a pair of poor running plays is enough to push the panic button just yet (and it appears I'm in the minority on that viewpoint), but it is something to watch. Pickett will make a difference, and more time together will make a difference, but bottomline, the entire unit made a couple of mistakes and it amounted to 110 yards on 2 carries. Stop those two mistakes (and Bulger's pick that was returned for a TD), and it's a much different game.

Correcting little mistakes...that's why we play the offseason.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

With all due respect, the "if you remove the two 55 yard runs we didnt do so badly stopping the run based on the yards per carry average" is not a real strong one from my perspective for one main reason. NO LT! One carry for the stud guys, that was it. That was a backup running back guys for the bulk of the first half. Also, what happened in the second half is irrelevant statistically since it wasnt the starters. The argument is rationale to me and holds water if the first teams played the entire game, including LT. I very much agree with hubison that lewis is a weak link on running downs at the tackle spot, but thats why he is a backup. We really do miss pickett in there against the run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

The point isn't so much related to their personnel as it is that this game was really only 3 mistakes from being a completely different outcome (2 from the D, one from Bulger/Faulk). Yea, LT ran one time for 55 yards, but it's not reasonable to think that'd be his trend if he stayed in the entire game. He exposed a big hole in the middle, which after some adjusting, the D closed. Had he stayed in longer, would he have had similar results? Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know. I'm more concerned with Marmie and Co. fixing the problems from the first quarter. And it appears from the 2nd-4th quarter, they did. Now did they? Or is that simply a product of LT being out? Who's to say...but at least they did stop the LT-less running game in the final three quarters.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Here's my view on the whole thing.

1. In preseason, you don't scheme against the other teams defense. You script plays to run and go down the script.

2. Teams normally have key players missing in each game and this was no different.

3. Players other than trying to make the team don't get pumped up for preseason games.

4. If you are going to lay an egg, make sure it's in August.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

View from the nose bleed section, w/ binoculars.

I missed the first quarter due to traffic and lack of parking @ the Q.

But I didn't miss much from what I was told. After the dolts went up 17-0, Bulger lead the O down field on consecutive drives and scored. SJ looked very good, and the TD pass to Holt was beautiful.:clanram:

As for the run D. Needs lost of work. Pass rush was there, Hardgrove is a gammer. Ivy and Groce did well in coverage. Overall the D seemed to have trouble making the initial takle. NEED TO WORK ON THAT!

Smoker was BAAAAAAAAADDDD!. He looked very tentative and threw some passes that he shouldn't have.

I'm going to chalk this one up as jet lagged, most of the team in the second half seemed to be tired.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Tx,

1. In preseason, you don't scheme against the other teams defense. You script plays to run and go down the script.

2. Teams normally have key players missing in each game and this was no different.

3. Players other than trying to make the team don't get pumped up for preseason games.

4. If you are going to lay an egg, make sure it's in August.

I would agree except for one thing....none of these reasons applied to the Chargers, so it seems to be the "bright side" for the team that doesn't look ready to
    start the season just yet....

Perhaps the Chargers layed their egg on the road (as did the Rams this week) in Green Bay last week, so it's all relative.

but it's early. Pickett being out was huge, and if the biggest concern was runs up the middle, then this needs to be factored in.

Still it's not good if the D falls apart when 1 guy is out.

denverram is offline Registered User

Guys what I saw is a team that was not ready to play. Both lines were not ready to go. They were slow off the ball and got their butss handed to them in the first quarter. SD is a good team yes but they are not that much better. They got to their spots quicker and faster than our guys did. It looked like our guys were going half speed.

It looked like the lines were at pre-game walk through!!!

ram3057 is offline Registered User

Guys what I saw is a team that was not ready to play.
    I agree with this. At first it seemed like the RAMS didn't even want to be there. I was talking to myself saying 'What are they waiting for?'

The Chargers, on the other hand, were ready to go.

Again, I know this is just the preseason, but why did it take so long to get started? (I have a feeling that the coach might have something to do with this?)

It was interesting to hear things from the Charger perspective from the commentators. They didn't really berate the RAMS at all. The way the RAMS were playing, I expected more than 'the Chargers have the game in hand'. :clanram:
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

GreensMachine is offline Registered User

remove the two 55-yarder debacles and the Chargers ran the ball 32 times for 105 yards (3.28 ypc). In the final three quarters, the Chargers ran the ball 29 times for 89 yards (3.07 ypc).
    So the Chargers 1st string abused your starters, but your backups held down their 2nd team? Yay.

Quote Originally Posted by GreensMachine
    So the Chargers 1st string abused your starters, but your backups held down their 2nd team? Yay.
    Yea, kind of like the Chiefs destroyed the Cardinals starters and then backed off with their practice squad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast