Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Today's game

GreensMachine is offline Registered User

Re: Today's game

I'll make no excuses...the Chefs were salty. This division is going to be bad again, I'm just hoping the Cardinal cream rises to the top. Seattle is Seattle, the 9ers are terrible and your Rams are as suspect as ever. Hopefully your QB castoff will revisit the glory days and we can pull out a division title. No one else scares me.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Pickett being out is the big difference? Hasnt Pickett been on this HORRIBLE D line for the last few seasons? The guy I was hoping to see make a LARGE difference was Jimmy Kennedy. Dont recall hearing his number called yesterday either. When is this guy gonna earn his FIRST ROUND paycheck??
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

moklerman is offline Registered User

What's important about this unimportant game is the fact that we are seeing the same mistakes from last year. I think it would be different if the Rams hadn't had any problems with their run defense and the Chargers just blew them up in a preseason game. Then, the "D didn't scheme the Chargers O" or "this guy or that guy isn't in the lineup" type of arguments would be more relevent.

However, I can't imagine the Rams not focusing on their run defense to the point of being embarrassed in a preseason game. But, that's about they only way you can look at the game and not be worried about the D.

As far as it being the scheme or the players, I don't think it's an either/or but I do think the scheme is predominately the problem. The quick turnaround the Cardinals defense made after Marmie left as well as the quick turnaround our defense made when he got here help support that theory.

We don't know the defense(s) that were called each time but if the Chargers are consistantly moving the ball, just like the Falcons, then I tend to think that it's in the design and not the components. It wasn't like Groce was getting beaten one on one over and over again, it was the "defense" getting beaten. Up the middle, left, right, etc.

I'm also hesitant to chalk it up to playing vanilla, so as not to show how the D is really going to play once the regular season starts. If the head coach is running hook and laterals and onside kicks in the preseason then I'm forced to believe that he wants to win the game. Keeping Bulger in the game at the end of the half...and then calling timeout so he could potentially take another hit when there was no chance of scoring! And then, he DID take a hit. It's almost laughable. The Rams' whole season depends on Bulger staying healthy and Martz is subjecting him to UNNECESSARY hits in the preseason.

On top of all of that, he put starters back in the game in the fourth quarter! Instead of giving the guys who are struggling more work, he put's his starters back in. I don't get it.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GreensMachine
    I'll make no excuses...the Chefs were salty. This division is going to be bad again, I'm just hoping the Cardinal cream rises to the top. Seattle is Seattle, the 9ers are terrible and your Rams are as suspect as ever. Hopefully your QB castoff will revisit the glory days and we can pull out a division title. No one else scares me.
    LOL

PLEASE STOP! The big Dead have done NOTHING for centuries; don't start crowning your team because they added an ex Ram. :clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I'm also hesitant to chalk it up to playing vanilla, so as not to show how the D is really going to play once the regular season starts. If the head coach is running hook and laterals and onside kicks in the preseason then I'm forced to believe that he wants to win the game. Keeping Bulger in the game at the end of the half...and then calling timeout so he could potentially take another hit when there was no chance of scoring! And then, he DID take a hit. It's almost laughable. The Rams' whole season depends on Bulger staying healthy and Martz is subjecting him to UNNECESSARY hits in the preseason.

On top of all of that, he put starters back in the game in the fourth quarter! Instead of giving the guys who are struggling more work, he put's his starters back in. I don't get it.
    Ol Rainy at his FINEST!! This is EXACTLY why he/the Rams are NOT RESPECTED or TAKEN SERIOUSLY by ANYONE who knows the NFL intimately!! Combine this REPEATED BUFFOONERY with his INSISTANCE that the FO bring in the WORST DC in the game because its his 'personal buddy and we have what we deserve. For the good of the franchise I hope this is the last season we have to watch this train wreck. Crouch/Bellisari anyone?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This is EXACTLY why he/the Rams are NOT RESPECTED or TAKEN SERIOUSLY by ANYONE who knows the NFL intimately!!
    Okay, I have to know....who are these people with intimate knowledge of the NFL? And where have they stated they don't respect nor do they take seriously Martz/Rams?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The quick turnaround the Cardinals defense made after Marmie left as well as the quick turnaround our defense made when he got here help support that theory.
    What quick turnaround did the Rams defense make? They were getting run on heavily during the Lovie Smith era as well, so it wasn't that. The only real difference is the Rams under Marmie didn't have the created turnovers to go with it.

We don't know the defense(s) that were called each time but if the Chargers are consistantly moving the ball, just like the Falcons, then I tend to think that it's in the design and not the components.
    Well, I tried to clear this up in another thread. The Chargers weren't consistently moving the ball for big gains. The numbers are clearly skewed by the two large runs that San Diego had. There were many times during the game where the Rams defense made good stops on rush attempts.

The Rams' whole season depends on Bulger staying healthy and Martz is subjecting him to UNNECESSARY hits in the preseason.
    I agree. I was fuming when I heard we'd called a timeout.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

As for playing vanilla, perhaps Martz started the game vanilla and then realized, down 17-0, he needed to break out a bit of the playbook and get his guys some confidence by getting back in the game....who knows.

But as for the defense, I haven't really heard of teams holding back on defensive strategies in pre-season. I know that on offense, you might not give away a play that you'll want to save for 3rd and 9 in the regular season, or some formations that you intend to use....but on defense, it's not like the Rams run some crazy zone blitzing schemes that need disguising.

I thought in pre-season, the defense is supposed to look miles ahead of the offense because the offense needs more time to get in sinc, whereas the defense just has to be aggressive and tackle, etc... What are we to think of where the Rams are then?

While it's true that the San Diego offense didn't rush for large yardage every single attempt, they were consistantly moving the ball up and down the field at will. Without their starting running back. I'm pretty sure that they scored on all but one of their first half posessions and worst of all, they WERE playing vanilla.

The turnaround the Rams defense had was overall. I realize the rushing D was struggling under Lovie but that defense compensated with other things to remain respectable. I don't blame Marmie for not improving the rushing D since I don't think he's much of a D coordinator. But, the rest of the defense that used to be okay under Lovie going to crapola under Marmie, I do hold him responsible.

The defense may yet prove to be better than ever but all the evidence to this point doesn't show it. The Rams seem to be stuck with yet another "moral victory" defense. You know, when you feel good about the fact that the defense "only" gave up a field goal. That was the exact feeling I got while I watched San Diego manhandle the Rams.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Vanilla offense will beat vanilla defense everytime. There's a reason for that, the defense isn't attacking like it should.

Guys, if this was a regular season game, I'd be right there with you bemoaning the atrocities at Quallcom park. However, it is preseason so I'll just say "huh".

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Vanilla offense will beat vanilla defense everytime. There's a reason for that, the defense isn't attacking like it should.

Guys, if this was a regular season game, I'd be right there with you bemoaning the atrocities at Quallcom park. However, it is preseason so I'll just say "huh".
    I've got to agree with Tx on this one (which pains my soul btw :tongue: ). Have you ever wondered why Pro Bowls are always a combined 60-70 point affair? When Bulger won his MVP there were 107 points scored. The Pro Bowl is the extreme version of Tx's "vanilla O trumps vanilla D" statment. The preseason (unless a coach is feeling saucy) is the same way. They look at a few players, give their starters a cup of coffee, and pray that nobody gets injured at some point during the game. That's about it. Play your base, and go home healthy.

I think we're the only ones that give a rat's backside about the final score.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I think this was covered already, but I don't think Martz was playing vanilla. That's the problem. He seemed to want to win a meaningless game and the Rams still got run over.

If the team is exhibiting all the same problems it had last year means nothing just because it's preseason then the Rams will be fine. I think "the defense is always ahead of the offense in preseason" is the saying though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123