Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Today's Rams trivia question-any soccer fans out there who love the rams?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Today's Rams trivia question-any soccer fans out there who love the rams?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    George Allen?
    I'll 2nd this one.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

lovetheramsnomatterw is offline Registered User

Tony Zendaus?? I don't remember how to spell his last name!

citr92 is offline Registered User

asked relatives, i know who it is now, but since i already guessed, i won't post it

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Lovetheramsnomatterw View Post
    Tony Zendaus?? I don't remember how to spell his last name!
    Zendejas. No, GC said the mystery man became a Rams coach.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

I'm thinking it has to be someone from way back....

so shot in the dark

Norm Van Brocklin

general counsel is offline Registered User

ANSWER Aldo "Buff" Donelli. Rams head coach 1944. Donelli became the Rams coach after Dutch Clark left following the 1942 season. As most fans know, the Rams did not play in 1943 as Reeves and Fred Levy were both serving in the war. As a technical matter, chile walsh served as the Rams coach during the 1943 season, although we played no games and our players (who were not in the service) were reallocated to other teams. The Rams resumed play in 1944 and hired Donelli, who lasted one season (4-6 i believe) before Chile Walsh, as GM, fired him and hired his brother Adam Walsh. Adam Walsh led the rams to our first championship in 1945, bolstered by rookie of the year and league mvp bob waterfield.

Donelli is in the soccer hall of fame, and also went on to coach at Boston University and Columbia.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    laram0 likes this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    ANSWER Aldo "Buff" Donelli. Rams head coach 1944. Donelli became the Rams coach after Dutch Clark left following the 1942 season. As most fans know, the Rams did not play in 1943 as Reeves and Fred Levy were both serving in the war. As a technical matter, chile walsh served as the Rams coach during the 1943 season, although we played no games and our players (who were not in the service) were reallocated to other teams. The Rams resumed play in 1944 and hired Donelli, who lasted one season (4-6 i believe) before Chile Walsh, as GM, fired him and hired his brother Adam Walsh. Adam Walsh led the rams to our first championship in 1945, bolstered by rookie of the year and league mvp bob waterfield.

Donelli is in the soccer hall of fame, and also went on to coach at Boston University and Columbia.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    The question that stumped my students,iirc, was who scored for the USA in their first(?) ever game vs Italy? The one at the WC in '34,anyway. I think he's the only Yank to score vs Italy IN Italy until this year. Didn't they just win a friendly?

Edit ps: brutal question;Funny that I followed up on the name on a WC history site just because I liked the irony of a guy with an Italian name scoring for the USA ( I knew that would get some chatter going in class...heheheh...), found he truly was an interesting guy which is why I read further & , of course, noted The Ram connection even though it wasn't relevant to soccer trivia. I seem to recall that he actually coached two teams at once for a time; practice with one in the AM, the other after lunch.....
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-21-2012 at 02:42 AM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Man! His name was right on the tip of my tongue! Shoot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12